Blew head gaskit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blew head gaskit

Okay, so I was driving on the highway from Azusa ca to san diego and my temp gauge spiked alittle bit, but not by much. The temp never reached the red "danger Will Robinson" zone. This spike of temp was on a flat cool strech of highway with no hills or traffic. I was mystified because I check the fluid before I left and everything checked out. I changed the water pump, water hose, fan clutch, coolant, thermo and fresh coolant 2000 miles ago. WTF? I dont know what happened. I have taken care of this car since my dad gave me it.
    Many soldiers go unknown.... You will never be forgotten SSG. Matt Mauphin, SPC. Juan S. Restrepo and all past and to come

how many miles on the engien?
    -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
    -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
    MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
    Got Drop?? ;-)
    Originally posted by JinormusJ
    But of course
    E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

195K, Yeah I know its about time for a swap. The engine was running like tits, so I took this as a kick in the balls. What do you think?
      Many soldiers go unknown.... You will never be forgotten SSG. Matt Mauphin, SPC. Juan S. Restrepo and all past and to come

Comment

how do you know the gasket is blown?

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

I check the valve cover cap and it had milky crap on the it. I checked out the engine as soon as I got of the highway and some milky stuff was also in the rad tank. The oil checked okay, but it was dark and did not find any water in the oil. help....... thanks for all of your guys help.

Comment

sometimes milky stuff on the oil cap is built up crankcase moisture that collects and mixes with some oil. It can also be because of vacuum leaks. Does the engine continue to overheat?

The best way to check for water in oil is to pull the dip stick and drip some oil onto the hot exhaust. If it sizzles instantly youve got moisture in the oil. If it just burns off then your ok.

If you have access to the equipment do a comp test and a cyl leakage test.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
            Ig:ryno_pzk
            I like the tuna here.
            Originally posted by lambo
            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

I had a brand new bavauto thermostat start sticking after a month, try that.

Comment

I had some milky crap in my coolant tank as well this winter, and it turns out that it was junk that was in the heater core, because I didn't use the heater all summer, and the first time I used the heater, I happened to check the coolant as well. It all went away of its own accord after driving a little longer.... No temp spikes with this one though.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Wow, these are all great nuances that I had no idea could be related to milky stuff in valve cap. Im going to pull her out and check her while the sun is still out. Thanks guys, this rocks that you all relyed to my puzzeling question.

Comment

okay guys, I just checked the car after adding some fluid in the rad and taking a quick spin. The car never over heated while on a test cruse; no issues other than variations on the temp gauge. Is this normal, If so my other rides gauge stay in one place all the time regardless of gridlock traffic or smooth high way sailing? I did find some shit in the rad tank, but no water in the oil?

Comment

well its not normal. But you said you had to add some fluid.. How much did it take> if you ran it down to a point it was pretty low that could make it spike but more info is needed. Id watch it closely and dont venture too far till you determine if its going to heat up again. close the heater core and go drive with the a/c on if you have it and see if it runs cool for 1/2 hour
                      We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                      www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

I did add some fluid, but it was about 8 oz, like a cup. I took it out on the street for about 45mins and it did not over heat. I do have A/C, but I have not tried that.

Comment

keep an eye on the coolant and oil. maybe you lucked out

sales@blunttech.com
                          www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Yeah I hope so! Well I did find some crap in the coolant. I just used the heater the other night; that junk could of been in there from like 7 years ago. Last time my dad used it. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by kermugit View Post
                              Yeah I hope so! Well I did find some crap in the coolant. I just used the heater the other night; that junk could of been in there from like 7 years ago. Last time my dad used it. lol.
                              It doesnt take much moisture to raise hell. When I built my m52 I did get some moisture in it . It showed up as slight milky shit by the filler cap. Couple hours at operating temp and it cleared right up. I hope the same is true for you. Just watch it close

sales@blunttech.com
                              www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X