buying parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying parts?

After lurking on this and other E30 communities I have noticed that pretty much any time people need parts they get them off of the internets. My question is this: what parts are "ok" to buy from a local parts store? My car needs a few odds and ends and is rather not have to pay to ship them if I don't have to. Is there a consensus on this?

Parts I'm considering getting from my local parts store:
    *Brake pads (most likely hawk or ebc brand)
    *e-brake cables and shoes
    *blower resistor
    - Josh
    1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
    Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

If they are name brand stuff you can buy anywhere, for me a lot times its a whether saving a few bucks through the internet is worth the shipping time.
    1985 BMW 325e
    1997 BMW M3/4/5
    2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

the resister im sure would be cheap here, and the e-brake cable id just get from the junk yard. but the rest i would assume should be fine to get from any parts store.

Comment

Gotcha, thanks. I was curious if there was a compelling reason other than brand. I'm the kind of guy that likes to go to the parts store and hang out while picking up a few things. The place I go is like a 50's throwback, everyone drinks coffee and bench races on Saturday mornings.
        - Josh
        1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Originally posted by Cletonius View Post
          Gotcha, thanks. I was curious if there was a compelling reason other than brand. I'm the kind of guy that likes to go to the parts store and hang out while picking up a few things. The place I go is like a 50's throwback, everyone drinks coffee and bench races on Saturday mornings.

Sounds ghey....
          sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Originally posted by txtorquemade View Post
            [/B]

Sounds ghey....
            not as bad as it sounds. we all have actually raced any times too

Edit : by bench race I mean plan modifications to our vehicles
            - Josh
            1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Get it all local if thats your thing. Most likely its coming from the same place anyway. Look for brand names on electronics like your resistor. steer clear of "bobs resistor co." The cables will likely be Gemi or ATE and they are fine. Most places online have free shipping at 50 bucks give or take.
              We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
              www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

things that I can get local, I normally do. However, most big box parts stores (locally) dont carry shit for my car. hell, I cant even go into a checker and get a fucking air filter anymore (not even listed in their catalog). This is why I do 99% of my e30 shopping online, and for the big parts, I hit the yards.
                I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Originally posted by scottinAZ View Post
                  things that I can get local, I normally do. However, most big box parts stores (locally) dont carry shit for my car. hell, I cant even go into a checker and get a fucking air filter anymore (not even listed in their catalog). This is why I do 99% of my e30 shopping online, and for the big parts, I hit the yards.
                  It seem as though that's a common experience. Most of the places I called had no clue, and those who did were more expensive than the internets. Kinda sucks. Never had any problems getting parts for my 87 dodge daytona.
                  - Josh
                  1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

I'm a big proponent of buying local, but there is a definite advantage to dealing with someone like blunt who knows the chassis, and knows what works and what doesn't. Also online sales, especially in communities like this are really telling as one bad experience is able to be shared with everyone. I haven't heard a bad thing yet about blunt's service.

Not to mention the ease of price shopping, so the prices for the best parts with excellent customer service are usually really competitive.

Local is good, but so is supporting the E30 community. blunt and Guten are great options. I have my cake and eat it too, as Zygmunt (Bimmerforums track forum sponsor) happens to be local to me. :D
                    -Dave
                    2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

I'd love to be able to support a local store. Unfortunately, my local shop kills me on prices. I don't mind a few bucks more, but I'm unwilling to pay 2-3x the amount for parts that I can find online. They're also not exactly set up for hanging out and chatting, unfortunately. I've been using PelicanParts, but am going to be doing most of my business going forward wtih Levent.
                      Originally posted by LJ851
                      kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                      ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                      #teamross
                      Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Working...
                      X