No announcement yet.

keyless entry battery drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, just making sure. I wasn't clear on the above quoted parts.

With that, I would say the keyless entry install is just coincidental with your (likely) worn battery. Go get it tested.
    -Dave
    2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

I do believe E30 headlights shut off when cranking...this ain't no Cadillac....

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

:giggle:
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
          I do believe E30 headlights shut off when cranking...this ain't no Cadillac....
          Ooh that stings a bit.

I'd check, but neither car runs so it's kinda moot. :(
          -Dave
          2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

[nasty old man laugh]heh[/nasty old man laugh]

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Alright, so while I left the e30 to sit while I tried to fix a power steering issue, the battery has completely died on me. It's been less than a week since I jumped it and ran it for a good hour to see if it was a battery issue.

Is it possible that there is a discharge issue since I installed the keyless entry system or is it probably just a dying battery?

EDIT: I'll jump it again this afternoon. How do I test if the battery is just dying and dead?
              Last edited by md325i; 01-04-2011, 10:54 AM. Reason: asking how to test

Comment

Jesus, buy a battery already. You can take the battery out to a Discount Auto Parts and they can test the thing there. If you've already had to jump it, then its lost enough of its amperage to turn the starter (aka the bitch is dead).

Why not unplug the keyless entry system and buy a new battery and go from there?
                Measuring voltage across the battery is not the best indication of it's condition....you need to see its amperage.

Comment

Originally posted by dsobering47 View Post
                  Jesus, buy a battery already. You can take the battery out to a Discount Auto Parts and they can test the thing there. If you've already had to jump it, then its lost enough of its amperage to turn the starter (aka the bitch is dead).

Why not unplug the keyless entry system and buy a new battery and go from there?
                  Measuring voltage across the battery is not the best indication of it's condition....you need to see its amperage.
                  Or unplug the battery after you think it's charged up. Then hook it back up a few days later. This isn't rocket science.

Comment

BTW: I checked on purpose last night: apparently, this IS a Cadillac. Dave nailed it, as usual.

LF

Closing SOON!

Comment

I bought a new damn battery because everyone told me too. It started fine when I freshly installed it. Let it sit for two days and tried to start it. Got the same flaky start up as the original video.

I just cut the damn red wire for the time being. Am I doing something wrong by just piggybacking off the constant 12v red wire on the antenna? I'll try to get a pic.

Comment

Don't bother. You don't take anyone's advice to actually try/test anything...

EDIT: Don't listen to me, someone peed in my Cheerios again.
                        Last edited by george graves; 01-06-2011, 04:43 PM.

Comment

You will need a multimeter to check the draw on the battery. What matters is the amperage being drawn. I'm not sure of the exact spec, but I'll guess anything over 0.1 Amp is above it.

I dont expect you to follow any of this, so I'm typing it accordingly:

-In order to check the amperage draw on your car, you will want to hook your multimeter (which is set on Amps, dumbass) in series with the battery. I usually disconnect the ground cable and attach the positive MULTIMETER cable to the negative terminal on the battery. Then attach the negative MULTIMETER cable to the negative(ground) battery cable.

You are trying to put the multimeter in between the battery and its' ground.

After that, you will observe the display on the multimeter and can see if it is pulling excessive amperage. If it above spec (say its at 0.5 A), then you should systematically begin disconnecting circuits (aka, take the fuses out and when the amperage returns within spec, you will have found your draw).

Or actually put connectors on your soldered-in ghetto keyless entry and just disconnect the thing and re-test after a couple of days.

Comment

BTW, if you somehow kill yourself doing any of that battery-ness, then I didnt tell you SHIT

Comment

Working...
                            X