roundie or m3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

roundie or m3

I know we all want M3s but I always wanted a 2002. This car will be driven. It will probably be left outside, occasionally might attend a few autocrosses and it will be parked in a university parking lot where girls in Jettas do not know how to drive.

I have a chance at a mint M3 (cosmetically), but it will need engine work. We know how much that will cost. It will take atleast the summer to get everything replaced so it will be a reliable daily. Probably all rotted from sitting in a garage for 10 years. The car is being sold cheap, I can part it and make atleast double what I am going to spend, but I am not soulless and that will never happen.

On the otherhand I also know of a 2002 that will be sold. Roundie, stock, runs good, looks ok. Little bumpers, Chamonix white. Probably can fix it up into good running shape quickly and cheap. It will be missing a lot of creature comforts, probably not too much of a concern, I do have the Big5 that I will never sell.

Which do I buy? Basically which car will be harder for me to find in 5 years because that is probably the time I will have time/money to work on it. But I don't know how to live within my means and I want one of these cars now.
    26.67%
    m3
    73.33%
    sigpic

Buy the roundie and then get the guy to sell the M3 to me. I'll rebuild the S14 and sell it to you cheap cheap cheap.

Comment

Seriously? Buy the M3. An 02 is a great car, but, I see them on CL fairly often (even here in western pa where there is no BMW community to speak of). M3's are getting rarer by the day.
      1991 318iS
      1992 911
      2006 330i 6-Spd ZSP people hauler

Gone:
      1989 M3 S50B32, 6-Spd
      1990 325ix 5-Spd

Comment

How tall are you? Cuase as much as I'd love an 02 - it's just not going to happen for me. My feet don't work the petals right or something.

Originally posted by ChaseN View Post
        M3's are getting rarer by the day.
        Naw - they are all just garage queens now.
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Danny, the M might end up here if I don't pick it up. Potential buyers will be screened.

Originally posted by george graves View Post
          How tall are you? Cuase as much as I'd love an 02 - it's just not going to happen for me. My feet don't work the petals right or something.

Naw - they are all just garage queens now.
          I'm Asian, E30's seat height is in up position, weird though my dad who is over 6' tall doesn't move my seat down when he drives it.

I feel the same way about the rarity of the M3. Most of them aren't getting driven like before so besides the few sitting out in a field somewhere I can buy one in 10 years and it will be in decent condition, just 3 times the price.

But a lot of the 2002s are still owned by regular people and now is the time to buy before decent daily driveable ones are gone plus I can always build an M2002. Now I am dreaming of a 2002 with an S14, carbon airbox with side pipes. Will go take a good look at both cars in the next few weeks and hopefully have something new to play with.
          sigpic

Comment

i vote 2002. why? you can put an s14 in it and have an "m2!"
            sigpic
            "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

As much as I like 2002s, I have to say M3 hands down. "Affordable" M3s are getting harder to find every day (yes, they may be becoming garage queens, but that doesn't stop the value from going up), so I would get one now, work on it as time/money permits, and 5 years from now you could have a completely redone, incredible M3 :)
              2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

Roundie.

IMHO

buy an m3 if you plant to thrash it at the track every weekend.
                sigpic

Comment

Um...

both!

1984 Hennarot 325e - 1990 Brillantrot M3 - 1938 Buick Special Business Coupe

Comment

Get the M3. I have both. You can always build an 02. 02 prices arent going anywhere anytime soon unless you have a pristine TII. The time to get into an e30M3 is now. Soft market and values continue to rise as more baggypants crash and modify them
                    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

if I had cash to do a project car, M3 no questions asked.

I do like 2002's, but that would be more something I'd be into if I were in my 60's and my grandchildren were helping me work on it..
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If it's going to parked in a school parking lot then go with the 2002... If not, go with the m3.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm already thinking of how to restore my mtech II vert to the point where it will bring me m3 money. E30 M3, still my dream car. Get the M3. Lol @ "baggypants" comment.
                          Transaction Feedback!

Comment

M3, if you dont want it I will take it. Prices are steadily incresing on good iunmolested examples. Buy it fix it right and dont modify it and then hold on to it and maintain it for 10 years.

Comment

M3. For some of the reasons already mentioned here. Although, i dont think you'll be disappointed in whichever you choose. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X