Opinions on Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insterstate for boring daily driving.
    Optima for awesome sound system and cool horsepowered car.

Fast life fuck slow..Low life for life
    Let the mix flow..Let the night flow
    I'm so gone ✗ ♥ O

Comment

Originally posted by xwill112x View Post
      optimas suck because you cant charge them like other batterys. not worth the extra price in my opinion unless its oem.
      What do mean? "you cant charge them like other battries"
      sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

Originally posted by Emre View Post
        I'm sure it doesn't make a significant difference, but I've always used Bosch batteries. They seem to last a bit longer than other brands I've tried. But they do cost a little more up front.

The original Bosch battery in my 318is lasted over 15 years before in finally had to change it...and that was because I left the lights on and ran the battery down to zero one too many times. They're all I use.
        Your 318is lets you leave the lights on with the ignition off? Mine doesn't!
        That always fucks me up when I switch from my E30 to the winter car, because in the E30 i always just leave my lights on all the time.
        Originally posted by Dozyproductions
        All girls fuck but not all girls fuck around with combustion engines.

Comment

Optima Yellow Top FTW. I have drained those things out more times than I can count and they still hold a strong charge after near 10 years.
          sigpic

Comment

New Optimas suck donkey balls. 100% made in Mexico, no longer owned by Johnson Controls. My red top has eaten shit TWICE in less than 2 years and they give me mass static on warranty...fuck optima these days. Like Curt said, old Optimas kicked ass, but I am telling you, now they suck. Do a little google if you don't want to take my word for it.

Originally posted by xwill112x View Post
            optimas suck because you cant charge them like other batterys. not worth the extra price in my opinion unless its oem.
            Originally posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
            Uh, what? That's nonsense.

I would suggest an AGM battery, as they don't off-gas (no risk of boom boom, but more importantly no terminal corrosion), and seem to be very tolerant of abuse.
            I've had good experiences with optima, but if you're not interested in that brand, I'd suggest you look at Odyssey.
            Jesus fuck, college boy talking out his ass again.

Dude, if you wanna come off as a know it all, maybe you should do some reading on the specific topic, since you seem to have no experience at all.

You cannot charge Optimas properly with MOST chargers. Simple shit here...Optima batteries (AGMs too, if you actually read up on it) have too low an ESR to let most chargers perform properly, as they see that low an ESR as a fully charged normal battery. If you actually read up on Optima batteries, they will tell you to make sure to parallel a normal lead-acid battery with your Optima to get it to charge. In fact, M20 alternators won't properly charge an optima either, unless you put a big load on it frequently, like big stereo, etc.

AGM batteries are fragile as hell too. GM won't warranty theirs if the car has run flat more than once.

OP: if possible, see if you can swing a DEKA battery. Only a little more coin than normal batteries, but thicker plates than average, will work great in an E30.

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post

Jesus fuck, college boy talking out his ass again.

Dude, if you wanna come off as a know it all, maybe you should do some reading on the specific topic, since you seem to have no experience at all.

You cannot charge Optimas properly with MOST chargers. Simple shit here...Optima batteries (AGMs too, if you actually read up on it) have too low an ESR to let most chargers perform properly, as they see that low an ESR as a fully charged normal battery. If you actually read up on Optima batteries, they will tell you to make sure to parallel a normal lead-acid battery with your Optima to get it to charge. In fact, M20 alternators won't properly charge an optima either, unless you put a big load on it frequently, like big stereo, etc.

AGM batteries are fragile as hell too. GM won't warranty theirs if the car has run flat more than once.
              It's totally unnecessary to swing your e-penis around like that.

As for the terminal corrosion, have you ever looked at a standard flooded battery that's been installed for 5 years (in either a vehicle or a large UPS)? They almost always have gunk built up on them, whereas the sealed batteries never have that problem.

You're probably using a $$$ battery analyzer/charger? A standard battery charger is much less expensive, and unless you leave it on a battery for way too long, won't cause any problems.

AGM seem to be less fragile than flooded batteries, the chemistry is virtually identical - they're still lead acid batteries, not Li-Ion, which do require per-cell management.

It's much harder for the laypeople to damage AGM batteries in deep cycle situations (like the GEM I rebuilt 5 years ago), because the folks that drive it every day never remembered to check the water level on the trojans it used to have, and they seem to handle high vibration (like the kind you'd encounter driving off-road in said electric car) much better than a standard plate type deep cycle battery.
              Batteries don't care what the power source is. Apply enough voltage, battery charges. There's nothing special about the alternator on the M20, it's a coil of wire, some diodes, and a voltage regulator.

Most battery warranties don't cover repeated full discharges, unless the service desk person is too stupid to ask, or you lie to them. Why would they? No one covers running your engine without oil either.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
              Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                New Optimas suck donkey balls. 100% made in Mexico, no longer owned by Johnson Controls. My red top has eaten shit TWICE in less than 2 years and they give me mass static on warranty...fuck optima these days. Like Curt said, old Optimas kicked ass, but I am telling you, now they suck. Do a little google if you don't want to take my word for it.
                This is correct. Optimas went to shit after they changed ownership and their manufacturing process. What amazes me the most is that they are also over twice the price they used to be. :loco:

We used to use them in the navy for the aircraft GSE equipment; you could not kill them.........the two I owned after they changed hands did not even last a couple of years in two separate cars that were unmodified daily drivers.

Just my 2 cents.
                Jason

Comment

That's why I suggested Odyssey. Still AGM, not optima. I haven't experienced newer optima batteries sucking, so I continue to use them. If it survives the 3 year free replacement period without any issues, then I figure it'll hold up alright for the next three.

The only optima battery I've ever killed was in a jaguar, and it was not disconnected for the winter. It sat during a very cold winter completely flat, and recharged just fine (30A rate for 3 hours). It finally died the next winter, when we allowed it to go flat a second time.

I can't really fault optima for that, as a flooded battery would've frozen and cracked the first time around.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                  Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    Aparrently the napa branded batteries are at the top, according to consumer reports

What I use and so far so good!
                    Last edited by imprttuner88; 01-31-2011, 09:26 PM. Reason: dyslexia ownz me!
                    1987 325i LeChump: H&R Race springs, weight reduction and beat to hell

2005 Mazda RX8: Koni Yellows, Hotchkis FSB, 245 BFG Rivals RTR #11

2011 Mazda CX7 Sport: The family truckster

2001 Buick Park Ave: The DD grandpamobile

1991 Ford F150 XLT 302: camping/towing

Comment

Working...
                    X