cost for an m50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
    i'm not downsiding the 24v's just the m50 for the effort/power gain ratio. I mean, yeah, if you're m20 is going then this is a great chance to upgrade to a more reliable motor, specially being very common to pick one up for around $500... hell, it even looks better. But the swap is the same as an m3 motor and when its all said and done the price difference is 1-1.k idk its a lot of performance, but hey everyone has a different application. Some people buy 4-cyl pickup trucks just 'cuase they need the practicality, but have no interest towing 5000lbs.
    It's still almost the same motor.. it's a shame how they neutered the "M" motor in the e36 when it came over here. How can you put a motor into an M car that doesn't have a beautiful array of throttle bodies....

The 40 or so extra HP doesn't really seem all that impressive for the extra cash you put down on an S50
    Last edited by Boris1111; 02-15-2011, 10:12 PM.

Comment

1-1.5k difference for a solid 40hp, is still in the impressive bang/buck realm. and its your base. try to squeeze 40hp out of an m20/50/52. idk i don't want to put anyone's swap down. apples and oranges.
      No more e30s for me.
      88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
      88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
      91 BMW 325i [sold]
      86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

There was a noticeable difference between my rough 300k M20 and my who know the actual mileage M50tu. Pulled harder, more torque down low, but realistically what I wanted was the S50. Now that I've got the swap done I kinda wish I had waited but I got a good deal on everything. I'm having trouble finding an S50 that I trust for a decent price right now, though I haven't been looking very hard lately.

Comment

Originally posted by E30Kaiser View Post
          He isn't saying 24v sucks, he is saying go S5X or stay M20 which I would agree with since it is kinda like shocks and springs vs coilovers, sure it may be cheaper in the short term but if you are looking for performance, in the long run it is cheaper to just skip it and go for the real deal.

I'm perfectly happy setting on my H&R race's and bilstein sports with 15mm drop hats. i'm pretty stiff, and pretty slammed. They make 22/19 sway bars and 25/22 sway bars...everyone has they're preference...and most people dont buy the 25/22s...
          sigpic

Comment

I got a good running M50tu for free. Now I'm building it into a higher compression 2.8. Should have close to US S50 power for $600.

Comment

Working...
            X