Quick! I need your advice R3V!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick! I need your advice R3V!

Well... after researching, numerous days of waiting on parts and free time, hours of labor, inviting friends to come over and help, buying beer for said friends, and completing the job (Replacing a cracked subframe, trailing arm bushings, stabilizing bar links, subframe bushings, and differential mount). I had the worst luck and most impatient father in the world ruin what should've been the easy part. I got a kind of pissed I've never experienced before; It was a kind of mad where I didn't argue with him anymore (which we always do when we disagree), instead, I got really quiet and began to feel dizzy and got a stomach ache. Don't get me wrong though, I love my dad, wouldn't want another one, we get along much better than the majority of my friends and their dads, he helps out as much as he can and means well. It's just that today, I wanted to break his hand.

We had the entire rear end in and were ready to take it for a drive, all we had to do was bleed the brakes. Needless to say, I was excited, I hadn't driven my e30 in 2-3 weeks(I'd been driving my mom's H3 around :(). We did the back right first, I was pumping the brake and my dad was working the bleed valves. We moved to the next one (rear driver's side). I pumped the brakes and when it was his turn to loosen the valve I heard a snap, the bleeding valve had snapped off. At this point I wasn't too mad, it happens, sure he could've stopped and pb blasted it, but it's my dad. We drove around looking for the right size extracting screw and figured we'd go get some bleeding valves from the junkyard. As soon as we got back I grabbed the PB Blaster and soaked it and figured I'd go to the bathroom while it did it's magic. When I came back my dad was picking up as I walked over to find out he'd already snapped off the extracting screw as well. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU was I mad. He was too impatient to wait and let the pb blaster work, he'd drilled, tapped, and snapped it off all while I was having a wee. Then to top it all off he yelled at me when I told him he should've waited a bit longer for the penetrating oil to work. We didn't make it to the junkyard so I plan on finishing this tomorrow. Since I've never had to replace this, help me out R3V.

SUMMARY: Snapped a bleed valve off on the back driver's side brake caliper what should I do?

A) buy new rear calipers
    B) buy refurbished rear calipers
    C) get junkyard replacements
    D) get some weird napa replacements, (dad keeps pushing these on me) any comments on this option?

I have no clue what the tolerances are on this kind of thing. Is this is a place where it's ok to cheap out a bit or is it a strictly new/refurbished type of area?

I'm on a student budget so it'd be nice to hear a few of you say that you're using junkyard replacements and haven't had a problem. I got my Subframe crossmember from the local junkyard for $11 as opposed to the $1,000k+ price for a new replacement so I love the junkyard :D.

ONE MORE QUESTION: Is it really necessary to replace them in sets? I called the local bmw shop and they said they didn't recommend replacing only one caliper, they said it's better to replace them in sets (both rear or both fronts at the same time)

Thanks again R3V!

Hopefully by this time tomorrow I'll be enjoying E30 goodness again.
    A) buy new calipers
    26.92%
    B) buy refurbished calipers
    38.46%
    C) buy junkyard replacements
    26.92%
    D) napa option (mainly here to hear your opinion of this route)
    7.69%
    09/1989 325i 4 Door
    +M30 Swap
    +Z3 Steering Rack

c.

dont' bother with a pair of used ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockefeller View Post
      c.

dont' bother with a pair of used ones.

so do you mean A then? get brand new ones?

or C get junkyard replacements?
      09/1989 325i 4 Door
      +M30 Swap
      +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

i will go to the junkyard and see whats good
        no more boosted m20, 91 318i...

Comment

Originally posted by matias88e30 View Post
          i will go to the junkyard and see whats good
          this.. first
          sigpic
          HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
          " enjoy the show "

Comment

I cant see a reason to buy brand new calipers. Refurb ones will work fine if you don't find what your looking for at the junkyard.
            sigpic

Comment

buy refurbed ones or used ones and rebuild them.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dannyyisntt View Post
                buy refurbed ones or used ones and rebuild them.
                How time consuming is rebuilding a caliper? I'm leaning towards just getting some junkyard ones and running with it. Should I get just the side I need or both?
                09/1989 325i 4 Door
                +M30 Swap
                +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

thats up to you, you don't need to do both sides at the same time.

diy for rebuild http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...er-Rebuild.htm

It's a bit of a pain in the ass fyi.
                  sigpic

Comment

if you go the junkyard route, be forewarned that there are two types of caliper, ATE and Girling. as long as they are in pairs, it shouldnt be an issue (mounting differences, if any aside) other than that, make sure the bleeder is good on the yard units, give them a rebuild (15 min or so a side) and run with it
                    I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Originally posted by scottinAZ View Post
                      if you go the junkyard route, be forewarned that there are two types of caliper, ATE and Girling. as long as they are in pairs, it shouldnt be an issue (mounting differences, if any aside) other than that, make sure the bleeder is good on the yard units, give them a rebuild (15 min or so a side) and run with it
                      I saw Girling in the reservoir but how do I double check that my actual calipers are Girling?
                      09/1989 325i 4 Door
                      +M30 Swap
                      +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

Junk yard ones FTW and tell dad to keep his damn hands off!

Comment

Originally posted by dannyyisntt View Post
                          thats up to you, you don't need to do both sides at the same time.

diy for rebuild http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...er-Rebuild.htm

It's a bit of a pain in the ass fyi.

Thanks and damn, sucks to hear that it's a pita.
                          09/1989 325i 4 Door
                          +M30 Swap
                          +Z3 Steering Rack

Comment

Originally posted by Heysüß View Post
                            I saw Girling in the reservoir but how do I double check that my actual calipers are Girling?

should be cast into the caliper itself. at least my ATE ones are. I believe the Girling ones are as well, from what I have seen in the yards...
                            I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Originally posted by Heysüß View Post
                              Thanks and damn, sucks to hear that it's a pita.
                              It's worth the pain lol.

Originally posted by scottinAZ View Post
                              should be cast into the caliper itself. at least my ATE ones are. I believe the Girling ones are as well, from what I have seen in the yards...
                              I can confirm that they are.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X