Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Highbeam day time running lights on e30???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highbeam day time running lights on e30???

I've seen a few bmw's driving around with what looks like just their high beams on. I know that this is a daytime running light for a few bmw's, and im wondering in anyone has wired up their high beams on an e30 to run this way. A few people might throw the idea of euro smily head lights which already have a daytime running light but for right now I wanna know if anyone has done it to make it look this way instead (just curious) ...heres of an example on a different bmw ..

sigpic(OO=[][]=OO)

I prefer to drive with my lights on in the dark, and not the daytime... But I think someone has done this though on here.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

It is possible but there is a lot of wiring involved. You need to run a relay so that when the engine is running, and ebrake off, each highbeam gets 6 volts.

Comment

Hella made a H1 high beam with a city light in the lens, its a small 8-10 watt bulb, about as big as a sharpie. you can run it all the time or with parking lights, need some i got some, Might be a chalange mounting in the elipsoid set up but a H4/H1 set up is easy with sealed beams., just swap the bulbs, have a set of those too, http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sear...&starteronly=1

Comment

Originally posted by TimR View Post
          Hella made a H1 high beam with a city light in the lens, its a small 8-10 watt bulb, about as big as a sharpie. you can run it all the time or with parking lights, need some i got some, Might be a chalange mounting in the elipsoid set up but a H4/H1 set up is easy with sealed beams., just swap the bulbs, have a set of those too, http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sear...&starteronly=1
          does that require additional wiring to run the H1 setup?

Comment

Thanx TimR...
            sigpic(OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Mtriple wired my M2 so anytime my key is on my city lights are on
              We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
              www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

I almost just re wired them but I didn't want them running at its full watt capacity all day and then was trying to figure how to turn them off at nite. I saw the kit TimR posted im still kinda iffy about it all (not about the kit its self but if I will be worth it or not.
                sigpic(OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Originally posted by NuthinFancy View Post
                  I almost just re wired them but I didn't want them running at its full watt capacity all day and then was trying to figure how to turn them off at nite. I saw the kit TimR posted im still kinda iffy about it all (not about the kit its self but if I will be worth it or not.
                  for minimal wiring you could have a NC relay that cuts it off when you turn on parking lights.
                  '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                  NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                  Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
                    for minimal wiring you could have a NC relay that cuts it off when you turn on parking lights.
                    Any chance you can throw a brotha a bone in how you would go about wiring it so they turn off when the parking lights come on? And if wired this way would thay still run at their full watt capacity or would they be a lil dimmer like an actual day time running light.
                    sigpic(OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

You don't need the brights, most newer cars that have day time running lamps are even lower wattage than the lows. I just turn on my normal headlights during the day.

Seems much simpler than adding wiring/relay to your car just so you don't have to move your left hand 6".
                      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

German tec. at work, OH overworked but safe. There is a place on the rear tail light to put in another bulb in like an all the time brake light/ rear fog light, there is a euro fog switch with 2 buttons, one for regular front and a switch for the rear. My guess on the front is you can have the city lights on with the fogs, tie the city light to the parking lights so if the fog or snow is so bad you have to turn off the fogs and headlights and just run the park lights/city lights so someone sees some light from the front of the car that looks like a car. With the city lights you could at least see something going real slow. Having an additional bright light/rear fog light in the back would warn approaching drivers your there. All we need now is headlight and fog light wipers and a 700W aircraft landing light and were set. HA

Comment

Alright for this you will need some actual wiring experience. You will need to wire in several relays for it all to work correctly.

First you need to find a wire that is ignition hot. This will trigger a relay for the highbeams.
                          A 2nd relay (5 pin) is used to turn the highbeams off when parking lights come on.

Then you need to rewire the highbeams into this configuration:
                          When highbeams get normal power (existing wire) relays connect both highbeams to existing wiring. When the highbeams are not receiving normal power they are powered via seperate 12v and wired in series.

The way I can picture how to do this is very messy and uses 3 additional relays. Someone else will have a better wiring diagram.

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                            You don't need the brights, most newer cars that have day time running lamps are even lower wattage than the lows. I just turn on my normal headlights during the day.

Seems much simpler than adding wiring/relay to your car just so you don't have to move your left hand 6".
                            Its usually what I do already, I just like the idea of the middle (highbeams) just being on during the day.anyway thanx guys ill do a lil more research on it.
                            sigpic(OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

i just installed yellow french high beams that i just wired it to a switch. i can have them on any time i want. :) i need to take pics
                              -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                              -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                              MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                              Got Drop?? ;-)
                              Originally posted by JinormusJ
                              But of course
                              E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Working...
                              X