Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Highbeam day time running lights on e30???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NuthinFancy View Post
    Any chance you can throw a brotha a bone in how you would go about wiring it so they turn off when the parking lights come on? And if wired this way would thay still run at their full watt capacity or would they be a lil dimmer like an actual day time running light.
    here's a quick mock up. I put a link the middle for the fog lamp switch to retain a "hidden" functionality of using the fog light switch to turn off and on the DRLs if you don't want them.

do the research on which wires are which. I suggest you don't use a "HOT IN START/RUN" because they will be on during cranking. just use hot in run to limit draw on the battery while starting. You could alternatively just remember to turn them off if you don't feel like wiring it the correct feed.

'84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

^^^ Thanx for that diagram it helped a lot.

Originally posted by CHIF8008 View Post
      i just installed yellow french high beams that i just wired it to a switch. i can have them on any time i want. :) i need to take pics
      And I almost did this but im a lil sketchy about it. Did you put a relay in the wiring some where?
      sigpic(OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Originally posted by NuthinFancy View Post
        ^^^ Thanx for that diagram it helped a lot.

And I almost did this but im a lil sketchy about it. Did you put a relay in the wiring some where?
        I think it's best if you read a little bit about automotive wiring. a relay is used to basically switch high amperage circuits from low amperage "signals." I would never run power (to an aux fan for example) to the cabin because it's dangerous and not cost effective. Instead of running 8 gauge wire to the cabin for something that has a high amperage load, you run a small 18-22 gauge wire to a switch, and then a relay controls the 8 gauge wiring. make sense?

Once you understand the concepts and needs for a relay, it opens up a whole world of options for controlling things. Don't go so far as to use them as logic gates, but a project like this it's actually useful.
        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

I highly suggest you do not wire this in yourself without a good about of wiring experience. Find a local member who can help you if you need it. Electrical fires are car killers.

Comment

Find 194 wedge bulb holder. Drill hole in high beam. Glue and wire to running lights.

Comment

Hey Jaxx, I think I have a bit more elegant solution.

LH headlight relay:

Cut the ground (brown) wire.

Brown wire from headlight to pin 30
              Brown wire from car to pin 87A
              Run a wire from pin 87 to the RH headlight relay.

RH headlight relay:

Cut the power (white/blue) wire.

White/blue wire from headlight on pin 30
              White/blue headlight from car on pin 87A
              Wire from LH headlight relay on pin 87.

I'll leave the relay coil wiring to preference. ;) Just make sure you kick both relays on and ground the white wire from the steering column, that turns on the highbeam relay.

That said, I hate DRLs, use city lights.
              -Dave
              2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Working...
              X