Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting around engine swap laws

Hey,

So im on the hunt for my new e30 and i may have found a contender, 1989 bmw 325i with a m52 swap.
    Should pass emmisons but my problem is MD engine swap laws, mainly " you can install a newer engine of the same displacement and configuration as one that was originally available for your vehicle" (http://www.ehow.com/list_7203154_mar...ment-laws.html)

The m52 is a 2.8 and the m20 was a 2.5, problem?

Ive seen some people grind off the 3.5 off a m30 and just say its a 2.5, does this work, would i have to do anything other then find a lenient state inspector?

P.S. this would be a daily so historic is not an option.

Anybody been down this road?

TIA

They also made M52's in 2.5l, they came in 323i.
    Just say it's a 2.5.

Comment

Better idea

Move to a free state
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Like Va. just no NOVa. Gotta get down below Culpeper AFAIK.

No emissions rocks!
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Claim it's a 2.5, problem solved.
          Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

swap a ls7 in.

claim it is a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Pull up to the smog shop, let them test it, don't say a word. Done.
              Originally posted by Matt-B
              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

^ yep.

in maryland, they do not open your hood at VEIP. and even if they did it says BMW on the manifold, so hey, it looks right. you think the tech making $12/hour knows anything about m52s? and if he does, you think he is really going to say something?
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                  Like Va. just no NOVa. Gotta get down below Culpeper AFAIK.
                  In hear VA is worse, the police are not at all friendly to car mods. Not to mention the speed traps every half mile of highway.

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                  No emissions rocks!
                  Yes it does, and i kinda hate you for having it.

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  in maryland, they do not open your hood at VEIP. and even if they did it says BMW on the manifold, so hey, it looks right. you think the tech making $12/hour knows anything about m52s? and if he does, you think he is really going to say something?
                  I wasnt sure that they didnt check at state inspection too, They only check at VEIP?

Any of you guys run a larger displacement engine in md w/o historic tags?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                    pull up to the smog shop, let them test it, don't say a word. Done.
                    +1
                    WTB E30. Right now $1500+ Vert or 4 door only.

Price range will increase every month.

Comment

florida ftw

Comment

Most shops won't think twice. Unless someone like me works there and opens their mouth about how awesome it is that someone brought a swapped e30 in. Then your boss looks mad cuz he can't inspect the car and make money and tells you to gtfo!
                        I need your obd1 parts! Harness intake ecu etc.

E30 Your Daily Money Pit

Comment

Originally posted by offwhiteghost View Post
                          In hear VA is worse, the police are not at all friendly to car mods. Not to mention the speed traps every half mile of highway.

Yes it does, and i kinda hate you for having it.

I wasnt sure that they didnt check at state inspection too, They only check at VEIP?

Any of you guys run a larger displacement engine in md w/o historic tags?
                          You only have to do a state inspection in MD when you sell the car. Unless you just bought it then you don't have to worry, even then they're more worried about things hanging off, disconnected, rusted through, etc.

Do a good job, make it clean and you won't have to worry.

Comment

^Did you read the OP? It says he is considering buying a m52 swapped car. So yes he would be buying it and therefore have to go to inspection.
                            Originally posted by b3albakii
                            the head was okey .. and in a good mood
                            no i didnt over heat it so much
                            www.blunttech.com

Comment

holy crap i didn't know there were states that controlling other than california. from where I come as long as your vehicle has a vin somewhere on it you are good to go.

BMWCCA # 420777

Comment

Working...
                              X