No announcement yet.

Looking for a good trailer hitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://s1109.photobucket.com/user/z1...g.html?filters[user]=114838346&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=7
    [/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Comment

Originally posted by z122643 View Post
      Progress…
      I like that it ties directly into the bumper shocks - that's great! If you combine it with something that would prevent the TQ that it puts on with that 6-7" lever it would be great. I think the name of the game is "how not to bend sheet metal of your e30 while towing" - and for that, I think the award goes to the curt hitch - IMHO.
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
        I like that it ties directly into the bumper shocks - that's great! If you combine it with something that would prevent the TQ that it puts on with that 6-7" lever it would be great. I think the name of the game is "how not to bend sheet metal of your e30 while towing" - and for that, I think the award goes to the curt hitch - IMHO.
        Yeah, this E30's previous owner had the curt hitch installed. It deformed the spare tire well.

Comment

Originally posted by z122643 View Post
          Yeah, this E30's previous owner had the curt hitch installed. It deformed the spare tire well.
          Pics? Please prove me wrong. Cause the way the curt hitch is - is that the spare tire well is there for longitudinal axis. Would have nothing to do with an over loaded hitch, or fatigue.

(and I don't care what one is better - it's not like I own stock in the company or anything)
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
            Pics? Please prove me wrong. Cause the way the curt hitch is - is that the spare tire well is there for longitudinal axis. Would have nothing to do with an over loaded hitch, or fatigue.

(and I don't care what one is better - it's not like I own stock in the company or anything)
            Here it is installed on an E36, but the design and installation is similar.

In my case the hitch must have been overloaded the spare tire well "was" bent up into the trunk area, while the metal attached to the vertical plate was bent out toward the rear.

Comment

This thread is super relevant to my interests.

I was looking at rooftop bike racks. Yakima makes some decent options, but I don't want to be driving around with that stuff on there all the time. An E30 with a roof rack is sexy IMO, but car break-ins and vandalism are becoming an increasingly big problem around here. Even with the locks, someone could fuck up my car pretty good trying to pry things off.

Anyway, friends I ride with have a Kuat rack system that is super nice and it mounts to a hitch receiver (1.25" and 2" options). I am digging that AUTO-HAK Euro setup since it looks like a copy of the OEM hitch accessory and it looks like it uses the frame rails as the mount points (which seems a lot more legit than the Curt aftermarket accessory that just bolts through body sheetmetal). My question is...is there an adapter out there for the AUTO-HAK mount that allows you to use a 1.25" or 2" square receiver tube? I assume that the E30 frame is only rated for Class-I hitches, so there's no "legal" way to run a 2" receiver?

Are there other options out there for a square receiver tube on the E30? The only other thing I have seen is someone's FS thread on here where they had a 2" receiver welded onto the Curt fixed drawbar setup.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Oh, and this is the first thing that came to mind when I saw the install pics.....

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                  oh, and this is the first thing that came to mind when i saw the install pics.....

nice!

Comment

2" not that I'm aware of.

Comment

Working...
                    X