I Need Some Words Of Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Need Some Words Of Wisdom

So when the semester is up (1month) I will start to work on my e30 and get it going again. I will be installing an alternator, front brake calipers, and differential seal. I have read about how to do them in my bently manual, and information on the interwebz, but i'm just wondering if any of you have any tips or tricks I should look out for to make things easier. I know what I have listed is pretty basic, I just don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks for your help!

Use the correct tool for the job. Replace the belt when you do the Alt. Flush and change the fluid when you replace the seal.

Comment

none of that is very hard... you way wont to consider changing the diff seals while the diff is still mounted. Realigning the diff into the subframe is a giant PITA

Originally posted by vlad
      Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Keep shop area clean - and drink a good, imported, bottled beer.

(that's all I got)

Seriously - with a Bentley and r3vlimited - you've got 90% of what you need already.
        -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
          Keep shop area clean - and drink a good, imported, bottled beer.

(that's all I got)

Seriously - with a Bentley and r3vlimited - you've got 90% of what you need already.
          This. +100

Just be glad you aren't doing it in a gravel driveway!
          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
            This. +100

Just be glad you aren't doing it in a gravel driveway!

well i might be doing this on the street infront of my house unfortunately, my brother's e36 is currently apart in the garage =(

Comment

Have another set of hands, even if it's just for moral support & beer/taco runs.
              Originally posted by LJ851
              kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
              ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
              #teamross
              Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Keep yourself organized, worst thing when all your shit is scattered everywhere and you start hatin on everything, been there done that haha
                - 86' 325i SOLD
                - 90 318is

Comment

Keep tabs on tools. Organize them at least at the end of the day a bit.

Have a spare set of hands as much as possible or at least someone that know's you're out working on your car.

Properly place it on jack stands. Seriously. Make sure that bitch is secure and you've got quality equipment to work underneath.

Beer helps ;)
                  Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Originally posted by kingston View Post
                    Have another set of hands, even if it's just for moral support & beer/taco runs.
                    I like this.

Start early in the day so you have plenty of time.
                    -Nick
                    Originally posted by 87e30
                    First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

Originally posted by ck_taft325is View Post
                      Keep tabs on tools. Organize them at least at the end of the day a bit.
                      I've started rounding them up as soon as I get to any kind of a stopping point. I am HORRIBLE about setting shit down in STUPID places and not being able to remember when I put it down, especially with tools.

Comment

Don't jerry rig anything. If you dont have the right tool or part just wait until you do.

Comment

Is it possible to replace the alternaor without jacking the car up? I may not have space to do this and may have to replace it in the driveway, and the driveway is on a slant so I would not feel safe working under the car.

Comment

Wear gloves - nitrile gloves. A box of 500 is like $20.

There's no excuse not to - shit under your nails is gross. Not to mention might cause cancer.

Also get some mechanics gloves. Put them on when you are about to loose some skin.

Get some safety glasses. They keep shit out of your eyes and make it more enjoyable. If you don't scratch them up and take care of them, you won't even know you're wearing them.
                            Originally posted by Matt-B
                            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by groundpilots View Post
                              Is it possible to replace the alternaor without jacking the car up? I may not have space to do this and may have to replace it in the driveway, and the driveway is on a slant so I would not feel safe working under the car.
                              what? have you even looked at where the alternator is? I can't imagine crawling under the car to do that..
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X