Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you have keyless entry be aware of this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, you can't send a signal to a regular key fob - they are 1 way radios, not 2 way. plus, the true range is usually very short. mine only works at about 10-12 feet, not 20-30..

seriously, chain letter bullshit ITT.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks a lot OP, as if I didn't have enough to worry about already with Y2K.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
        Bullshit. This story has been floating around for well over 20 years. Send an email to Mythbusters, I think that was busted on one of their episodes.

Warning about thieves using 'code grabbers' to record remote keyless entry signals.

And please, dear god, don't credit yahoo OR CNN as a viable news source.
        Ummm....Why? Every news station in the world reports bull shit at one point or another. I consider NPR a viable news source as well. Should I stop listening to them too? Regardless, looks like the story is still floating around.... some 'myth'.

Originally posted by Ryan...
        It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          Yeah, you can't send a signal to a regular key fob - they are 1 way radios, not 2 way. plus, the true range is usually very short. mine only works at about 10-12 feet, not 20-30..

seriously, chain letter bullshit ITT.
          Not really a valid statement Nando(maybe on BMW's but not all manutfactures). To give you two hands on examples:

A. My mother's shelby remote starter/alarm system(on her 4runner) works from 500ft away(more like 150-200ft). Ive started her 4runner from inside my work which is easily over 100ft. I dont even have to leave my desk.

B. When I worked at Ed Martin Nissan back in '07, the BRAND NEW altima's, 350z's, etc. would unlock from inside the building. 50-75ft away. Not to mention all the preowned I've unlocked from the building as well.

Not all systems have the same range.

Originally posted by Ryan...
          It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

It doesn't make any sense. Even if somehow you can capture the signal (theoretically - this is possible and quite simple):

Like already said above - most such systems are encrypted, so your "recorded" signal won't let you open any car unless combined with a crowbar.

Also - quite a lot of systems use different coding for open and close.

Now go and send those Mr Mugambas and his relatives from National Bank of Zair some confirmation that you will gladly accept their no-payback loan of 100 000 000 Zimbabwe dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by BillBrasky View Post
              Thanks a lot OP, as if I didn't have enough to worry about already with Y2K.
              ahhhahahah rofl
              86' 325e

Quote:
              Originally Posted by 02stu
              They're (e30s) very sensible if you never want to get laid by anything other then a college student..on second thought

Comment

Originally posted by KennyT View Post
                If you hold the outside handle open the lock should stay locked. I don't know if it works with BMW's but it does with Miatas and several other cars.

As far as the original post, how ever stupid it sounds it can be done. You would be surprised what a couple of EE's can build in an afternoon for some fun. People get very confused when their horn starts honking patterns back at them.
                WTF this isn't Japan!!! :hitler:
                Originally posted by 325Projectz
                don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                :nice:

Comment

Fuck it - I'll just get a remote controll to power down remote lock system..
                  -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

I just never lock my car. Call me lucky or dumb but I haven't for years and my stuff isn't stolen and I keep some good stuff in my car at times ( V1, Iphone, Sirius, laptop) but I know from experience if the theif wants it, he will just break a window and snatch and grab.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post
                      WTF this isn't Japan!!! :hitler:
                      In this case it would be a hell of a lot nicer than explicitly using the key to lock the door. I like my Ford, if I hit the lock button it locks the damn door.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        call me a skeptic, but..

your locks will unlock automatically if they are jammed (door not closed all the way, some other obstruction). have had it happen to me years ago. itlikely had nothing to do with those two guys.. sounds like you were a victim of a bad chain letter :p

you can't lock E30s before closing the door, either. that means having to use the key..

also, any decent keyless system will use encryption.
                        are you talking about the lock itself being physically obstructed? because my keyless entry will lock the doors if they're open or closed, whereas my 2001 honda won't lock if any doors are open. (i'm assuming because the bmw's aftermarket keyless entry is much simpler?)

Comment

it shouldn't lock with the doors open. might be particular to your keyless installation. mine will "click" but it won't lock, and if the door isn't quite closed, it will lock and then unlock a couple seconds later.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

« Thread for the lulz!
                            Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Working...
                            X