Pass CA smog with holes in cat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pass CA smog with holes in cat?

My cat looks like swiss cheese. When sitting at a stop, you get high off the exhaust fumes coming up from the center of the car.
    What are the chances of passing CA smog this way?
    Do they do a visual just to see if the cat is there, or do they check to make sure it isn't leaking?

Would this make it blow "cleaner" when they put the probe in tailpipe, since all the fumes aren't even making it back there?
    sigpic
    Parts Wanted
    The Never-ending Resto Mod

That's not a high, that's carbon monoxide poisoning.

Comment

Nope, you'll fail.

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
        Nope, you'll fail.
        ^wrong...!
        I passed with flying colors, And mine looks like swiss cheese too...
        He didn't care as long as the car blew clean.. It also helped that my car is lowered and he might not of wanted to try craling under my car?

But he seemed to be a stickler for the rules and it surprized me that he never mentioned my cat holes..

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...re-irs.356333/

This Forum is built on love, and powered by Sexual Tension!

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

^wrong
          Mine failed with rust holes. The state paid for a new cat. Win win.

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
            ^wrong
            Mine failed with rust holes. The state paid for a new cat. Win win.
            Nice. What was the process on this like? Did they reimburse you for the first test and the re-test?
            My CA registration says it must be at a "Test only" shop. So if this were the case, then I'd have to take it to another shop for the repairs?
            sigpic
            Parts Wanted

Comment

CA paid for a new one? whatttt! i had to pay for mine when it was bad :|
              -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
              -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
              MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
              Got Drop?? ;-)
              Originally posted by JinormusJ
              But of course
              E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Comment

Thx for the link. Wonder if I can buy new cat and install myself, and keep the check for repairs
                  sigpic
                  Parts Wanted

Comment

its illegal if i remember for anyone thats not a shop to buy a cat in CA
                    -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                    Got Drop?? ;-)
                    But of course

Comment

Originally posted by CHIF8008 View Post
                      its illegal if i remember for anyone thats not a shop to buy a cat in CA
                      WTF is that? I bought a cat for my old honda from Summit a few years back.
                      I wonder what the purpose of that law is.
                      sigpic
                      Parts Wanted

Comment

i donno, but i think a lot of people go around it and are not punished. plus the popo probably is not looking for them- just the "fake" smog places
                        Got Drop?? ;-)
                        But of course

Comment

Originally posted by blocke View Post
                          No, its only illegal to replace the existing cat with a generic one that isn't approved for your specific car. California legal cats have to have a PN that is approved for your car. They're usually identical to the out of state cats but cost twice as much because of the PN.
                          Thx for the link. Wonder if I can buy new cat and install myself, and keep the check for repairs
                          Wouldn't that be nice. The repair must happen at a BAR approved shop.
                          The change in the law only happened a couple of years ago. Nobody really enforces it unless the state is paying to replace the cat.
                          Last edited by tjts1; 04-05-2011, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Guess i will chacen it and see if i pass. If not, ill pursue this avenue.
                            sigpic
                            Parts Wanted

Comment

Working...
                            X