Cherokee vs Subaru..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cherokee vs Subaru..

So, i have been ass tons of research lately. i am looking for a new vehicle to both drive to Colorado (from NC) and to live there with for a few months, into winter. I will be in Grand Junction, and will do what i can to spend a lot of time around the canyons and mountains from there to moab. i plan to explore a good bit while i have the chance.
    I need something that will not only get me there without a second thought, but i need something i can actually use while i am there. I do alot of climbing, mountain biking and hiking, so i will naturally be wanting to get out to trailheads.

I am very split between some kind of subaru, or a decent cherokee.
    My budget is about 5-6000. my parents plan to help me finance part of it.

What i want is: Reliability. Space(to sleep in the back should i need to). and AWD (or 4x4).

ive been looking at some subies, and older legacy outbacks look good. thats a solid option. also, a forester would make me happy too. I just get really worried about buying a vehicle with almost 100k on it, and reading of countless Headgasket problems. Is there any hope for getting a 2.5L subaru that will not blow?
    The only downside to a cherokee, is the gas mileage.

I want something i can work on, change timing belts and service, etc, and i want something that will not be a big damn waste of money.

You guys got any suggestions, comments, opinions, other ideas?
    help me out here. i have a few months to shop. so give me some input!!
    thanks!

(btw... i will never ever ever get rid of my e30. its getting parked in the garage and will get more dedicated fun rather than DD beat status)

Thats a tough call. If most of your driving is just gonna be on roads/dirtroads Id go with the subby. But if you really do plan on being off road your gonna want that cherokee.

Cant speak on the reliability of either sorry.

Comment

Forester is too small to sleep in. And the back seats cant come out

Comment

our subaru has been great - the 2.5 is fine, if a car hasn't blown it's gasket by now, I'm not sure it will. ours has 142k, in the last 10k all I've done is replace the air filter and change the oil. oh and change out the "100k mile" spark plugs the PO used.. yikes!

we use ours for camping and triathlons - we stuff the carseat, a dog, a BOB stroller, our tri kits, and two bikes on the back. There's so much room. I wouldn't get a Forrester, it's basically the same size as an Impreza.

get a manual *if* you can find one. it's not exactly fast, but it at least makes it somewhat enjoyable to drive. I think I'd have to kill myself it ours was an auto, but it was really hard to find a 5 speed for under $6k..
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Do you prefer driving or pushing your vehicle? If you like pushing, get the Jeep.

Comment

My first car was a 99 4.0 cherokee, then it was my brothers first car to. Its had a hard last 4 years but the only thing that has been replaced was the oil and cps. very reliable, and very very good off road, my only complaint is that the gas millage is not very impresive (17-18 average) and they are hard to find with a manual trans.

Comment

Subaru hands down. Before I flipped mine over that car was incredibly reliable and never had any problems. My dad has a Forrester with 144k and its still trucking with no problems. Nice and quiet too.

As for the seats coming OUT, no they do not, they fold down and you could sleep diagonally across the rear space. I don't trust the reliability of an older Jeep. Just my .02 though.
              Last edited by JubJub; 04-06-2011, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Kinda OT but I think its funny when talking about cars other then e30's you start to get weary after hearing 100k miles while when looking at an e30 you wouldnt flynch before buying one with 250k

Comment

^ Very true. The fact that some many have lasted for as many miles as they have is a testament to excellent reliability. My friends all laughed when I said I picked up a car with 166k on it. Its just broken in :p

Comment

I bought a 98 cherokee with 155k and didn't think twice, it has its quirks, but jeeps 4.0 inline six is known for going to 300k. Plus when you put the jeep in 4x4 its unstoppable. The down side is that its not fun to drive, unless your off road, its really just boring transportation.
                    Originally posted by b3albakii
                    the head was okey .. and in a good mood
                    no i didnt over heat it so much
                    www.blunttech.com

Comment

Yet again. The only downside to the Jeep is the gas mileage. There are no major engine problems, no headgasket problems, no timing belt, the spark plugs take seconds to change, they last forever if you change the fluids like any car.

Subarus are nice cars, but you do have the timing belt, possible head gaskets, less ground clearance. But you get better mileage and more comfort.

Jeep has more space and you are not limited in where you go. They are also very easy to work on. Much easier then an E30.

If you truely are going to a lot of remote trails you will want the Jeep. Otherwise a subaru will get you to 90% of the trails.

As you can see they both are great choices, lol.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by foofopps View Post
                        I bought a 98 cherokee with 155k and didn't think twice, it has its quirks, but jeeps 4.0 inline six is known for going to 300k. Plus when you put the jeep in 4x4 its unstoppable. The down side is that its not fun to drive, unless your off road, its really just boring transportation.
                        /thread

Comment

never owned a suby but have both a buddy and a cousin that drive them and they are great cars and do great in the snow. On the other hand I have owned two cherokees and loved them. They are near unstoppable and are very reliable! I know many people with cherokees that love them and have had zero issues. I vote a cherokee as they are reliable, get around in any terrain and have good luggage space. Both are great vehicle but I vote cherokee all the way!

Comment

Just get a subaru already. If the jeep repair bills don't get you the gas bill will. The The outback has a bigger interior anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
                              Just get a subaru already. If the jeep repair bills don't get you the gas bill will. The The outback has a bigger interior anyway.
                              What Jeep are you talking about? The 4.0 Cherokee is dirt cheap if you ever need parts.

Outbacks have more personal space, but if it's just one person with gear/bikes the Cherokee has much more space.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Working...
                              X