No announcement yet.

Cherokee vs Subaru..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I vote for the Cherokee, because of the ground clearance and far more off-road ability. Plus towing capacity and other things that come around that you might not be considering. The back seat folds down flat, so if you sleep at an angle you'll be just fine if you are 5'10" or under.

However, there's two things I hate about Cherokee's - the transfer case went out in both of mine, and they are all open diff's in the front, with an LSD being an option in the rear. Maybe they changed that starting with the facelift in '96... but according to the guys on NAXJA the facelifted one's aren't any different mechanically. I had an '89 and a '95.
    I do what I want

Past BMWs: '84 325e, '89 325ic, '92 525i, '91 325ic, '89 535i, '86 325es

Comment

Subaru. My other love.

But yes, if you get a 2.5i outback 96-99, beware of the headgasket at around 110-120k miles.
      '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
      current:
      '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
      '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

Comment

Cherokee all the way, it will never fail you and you will have an awesome off-road vehicle! We have two in our family with over 200,000 miles and still going.

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
        Originally posted by scabzzzz
        I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
        1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
        2002 325i - DD
        2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

well, i had a comanche and a cherokee. So the obvious choice is the cherokee. With subarus you will be changing CV axles,head gaskets,and the timing belt if it hasnt been done. The parts arent hard to come by but they may be in remote locations.

You could build a cherokee at your local parts store. So if you break down its a no-brainer. Plus straight axles are near invincible with stock engine and tires, As long as they are serviced. CV axles on the subie? not so much.

Of coarse there is a huge subie following, So theres going to be mixed feelings. But being a technician i see subarus for head gaskets and axles. jeeps come in needing shocks and a oil change lol.

sigpic

Comment

Well I have a brief story about my buddy's Jeep. His water pump went out one day when we were off-roading, so we cruised over to the nearest AutoZone, and $40 and 5 minutes later, he had a new water pump.

I know you can't do that w/ a BMW, and I am assuming you can't do that with a Subaru.

...And a little Jeep inspiration:

Comment

the thread title immediately reminded me of this video.

Day out with a WRX STI, breaks down and then is towed for 25 miles on East Coast road before the steering locks on a sharp corner and is towed into a wire pole.

Originally posted by Ryan...
              It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustn525 View Post
                I vote for the Cherokee, because of the ground clearance and far more off-road ability. Plus towing capacity and other things that come around that you might not be considering. The back seat folds down flat, so if you sleep at an angle you'll be just fine if you are 5'10" or under.

However, there's two things I hate about Cherokee's - the transfer case went out in both of mine, and they are all open diff's in the front, with an LSD being an option in the rear. Maybe they changed that starting with the facelift in '96... but according to the guys on NAXJA the facelifted one's aren't any different mechanically. I had an '89 and a '95.

I bet you T case gone because either, ran out of ATF or the stupid lock clip in the outshaft of the T case gone bad and led the shaft slide a little bit and the pump gear went to hell, happened to me. In 96 + they fixed the rear tail of the T case and never happedn it again. Rock solid.

Yeah, all XJ an dmost Jeeps out there except the Rubi, has open diff in front. LSD is optional at the back. You can throw different types and costs lockers easily if needed.
                Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

I would go for the jeep. Unless you want to build a semi-rally car with your subie. LMAO. JK. I would get the Jeep just in case you have to go over some crazy mounts on the road. But if you know it's all open snow/dirt roads where obstacles won't be a matter get the subie. I would always speak for subie since I love seeing rally WRX's all the time. Still going to stick with a rally E30 though if that time comes to build a rally car.
                  WTB E30. Right now $1500+ Vert or 4 door only.

Price range will increase every month.

Comment

What about a stock height e30? It has plenty of ground clearence!
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X