No announcement yet.

Help me Choose a Daily Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A MkIV GTI 12V VR6 is what you should look for if you want to go the VW route. In stock form, the motors are more bullet proof than the m20 and have a very enviable torque band(peak tqe @ 3k). great for a daily commuter. Add a TDI 5th gear and you will get excellent highway mileage. 24V VR6 is nice but parts are a little more pricey and twice as complicated. I am, at heart, a dubber, and I'm not a fan of the 1.8t. At all. The only preventive maintenance I would reccomend on the 12V is the front coolant pipe aka "crackpipe". It is plastic and prone to failure. 20squared tuning sells a billet crackpipe and youll never replace it again. Oh and avoid the 1999.5 Jettas/GTIs/Golfs!!!! They are retarded stepchild cars found stuck between the transition of the mkIII and mkIV. They have parts from both generations and are lemons. PM me if you go this route. I use perform maintenance as well as performance upgrades for these vehicles.

-Brandon

Originally posted by Ryan...
    It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

get a literbike

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you, except I must have a wagon. I know alot will hate, but i was looking at an 03 Saab 9-5 aero, 250hp/268tq, tons of room and really nice options(heated and ventilated front seats, etc) and since its a Saab, its cheap since they have bad resale. From my research they are pretty tough cars, not all that hard to work on. They do have a few quirky issues like any euro car does. Oh and 30+ mpg highway. You can even get the smaller 9-3, there is a Viggen version as well. Here's a pic of the wagon i'm looking at:

All Your Base Is Belongs To Us

Comment

What about a 4door e36 M3? It's still an e36 so that sucks but I love my 325i e36 as a daily. it's just large enough to fit everything I need and if taken care of it's no problem!

You should be able to pick up one for 6-8k depending on condition.
          stephenbrody.com

Comment

Mazdaspeed 6?

Comment

240sx
              Originally posted by audiquattrot
              bimmers b4 b*tches....remember that.
              1990 Alpinweiss 325i - secret 500whp build
              2000 Audi S4 B5 Laser Red
              1990 Nissan 240sx - Drift Missile
              2006 CBR600RR

Comment

Originally posted by 619E30 View Post
                240sx
                s13 or s14?

Comment

Mazdaspeed 3? Or maybe even a mazda 2? Otherwise I would say wrx.

Comment

ya id just go with a e36 325/8i or m3, there actually pretty nice, i had a e36 325i and it was a nice little daily driver and i only paid 4k for it with 150k miles the only thing wrong with it was two smaller dents that could of been pulled, other then that very clean car kinda wish i didn't sell it. and then you would have a nice start for a s/m5x swap
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

do an e36 m20 swap

Comment

B5 S4... No one has suggested that? Prolly because one in your price range would require some maintenence
                        Originally posted by e30lov
                        sweet a mk4 jetta, haven't seen one of them for about 14 seconds
                        Adventures of an E30

Comment

Working...
                        X