No announcement yet.

Bought a car without pinkslip. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take it to a tow yard, pay them to store it for 30 days, have them file a lien, then pay them for their services.

Comment

Mechanics lein.

Almost got a 300zx this way. It had sat for forever at a shop, with whom I am friends with the owner. He said if I paid him the $200 it cost him to get the title, he'd give me the car. Fell through though as I got distracted with BMWs and the Z disappeared a short while after.

Though some states don't do mechanics liens....like PA, just gotta check.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

OOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII. You should try to get the DMV to get a title bond. I don't think people can actually sell a car unless the true owner signs the title over to you. If you have a bill of sale nothing could go wrong since you paid for the car. If they file a charge on you then just show the bill of sale and it's good to go. Should have checked before you bought. GL
        WTB E30. Right now $1500+ Vert or 4 door only.

Price range will increase every month.

Comment

Originally posted by frickendom View Post
          Do you know how I can find the registered owner?
          Do you not even have the registration for it??

You should have a bill of sale and but mainly need this form signed by the last registered owner.

Edit: There should be a release of interest part but not seeing it on this one

Double Edit: this one has it

My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
          4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
            Do you not even have the registration for it??

You should have a bill of sale and but mainly need this form signed by the last registered owner.

Edit: There should be a release of interest part but not seeing it on this one

Double Edit: this one has it

http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg227.pdf
            I have the registration but its dated 08/08/2009 to 08/08/2010, do you think he is the last registered?

Do I have to fill in his license identification number in the bill of sale? Do you think its necessary?

Comment

If the registration matches the latest tags on the car then probably, you can verify that by DMV. You need the signature of the last legal owner on a release of interest on the vehicle on the original title or on that last form. If this is a legit deal, you should have no issue getting the signature.
              My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
              4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Working...
              X