• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

delete

Sup guys

I'm almost done completely stripping out a e30 m3
    stuck on the ignition wiring and lock tumbler

i have heard of sticking a small allen into the tumbler to release.
    i do have the key for it.
    I kinda find it funny i can strip this much out and got stuck on something so small.
    Its currently like this

stuck here

-
    Project
    Parts for Sale
    Feedback
    YouTube Channel

I've only ever worked with the older style ignition switches and they had a small allen screw, i'm pretty sure these have the same setup. Give it a shot.

Was.
    They call me the frog

- E30 Alpina C2 2.7
    - E30 Alpina C2 2.5
    - E28 M 528I 3.5 (300HP)
    - E36 M3 S50 3.2 (Euro)

Comment

Look for a small hole at the face of the key slot.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

You have to turn the key to acc and then stick a piece of hard wire into the lottle hole on the tumbler and press it while kinda wiggling the key along with the inserted wire and it will pull right off. Sometimes it gets kinda bitchy though. As for the switch juat tap both clips and pull it.

One of the best threads you will ever read
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=221813

Nice trailer of my e30
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTjtG...e_gdata_player

If i sold you something please leave feedback here
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=217142

Comment

Awesome thanks guys.
          Ill give it a try when I get off work. For some reason I thought the tumbler had to be removed before it would unplug.

-
          Project
          Parts for Sale
          Feedback
          YouTube Channel

Comment

i used a finishing nail for a pneumatic nail gun. everything else was too weak and would bend.

one of these. i put the key to ACC. put the nail in the tiny hole and tapped it with a hammer. the ignition cylinder just popped right out.

good luck with your restoration.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

was not able to get the tumbler out with several different rods, allen wrench, coat hanger

what other thing can fit in there?

-
              Project
              Parts for Sale
              Feedback
              YouTube Channel

Comment

thanks gda
                ill buy a 1/64 drill bit and try again

Originally posted by GDA View Post
                Thanks man. The project is becoming quite addictive. I can't wait to be able to have it all buttoned up and be able drive it sometime in May.

The booster set up is a remote unit from an E34 540. It is a bit more work than some other options but IMO makes for a cleaner set up in the end.

Minor project this evening... install of complete master lock kit.

I had previously installed the drivers and passenger locks when doing the rain curtain work a couple months ago. Easy stuff. The trunk lock was done right when I got it back from paint. Again, straighforward stuff.

However, I have put off doing the ignition as I couldn't find any info on how to properly get it done and I did not want to destroy the column by just yanking it out with a puller. Well, after finding a post on a euro forum over this past weekend, I was able to knock it out tonight in about 30 minutes.

Tools used - 1/64" drill bit and small vice grips

Method - install key and turn the key about 40 to 50deg and using the small pin hole in the gray center section you can insert the drill bit into another access hole recessed about 1/4" into the lock. By pushing the bit another 1/4" with some force it drops the brass retaining pin from its detent in the steering column. See photos below...

Here you can see the key is almost turned to accessory pos 1 and if you go really slow you will by feel note where the bit can fit into the access slot

Here is a pic of the lock after removal and you can see how the bit has pulled into the lock the small square brass retaining pin and it sits flush with the lock barrell for easy insertion/removal

And here is a pic of the bit pulled back just a little to demonstrate how the brass retainer pin pops back up to hold the lock barrell in the column. To insert the new lock I had to insert the key, turn about 50 deg to align the slots so the bit dropped the retainer and then the new lock slid right in.

New locks with a full set of keys...

Super smooth locks FTW

-
                Project
                Parts for Sale
                Feedback
                YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                X