Turbo guys and track days, re: cooling.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • z31maniac
    replied
    Damn. Will have to wait til I get home, looks like the firewall at work is still saying the R3Vlimited image server is pr0n.

    Leave a comment:


  • MonkeyMadness
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	intercooler%20006.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	7132670

    I'm just running the stock rad and a volvo intercooler at 9lbs boost
    here in Socal, I'm running a 10* lower thermostate and a independant fan temp switch. I have yet to get a tick above 180*

    Click image for larger version

Name:	intercooler%20007.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	7132671

    If you look at the lower rad hose you'll see my oil cooler. It sits
    just below and behind the rad works really well.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110521_112847.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	7132672

    It all button's up qutie nicely...:up:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110507_145024.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	7132673


    Leave a comment:


  • Dj Buttchug
    replied
    why not just run a puller, thus leaving room for oil cooler ect.

    Leave a comment:


  • der affe
    replied
    A second gen rx-7 oil cooler will fit nicely where the stock oil cooler goes and is about 3 times larger.

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    It will be a street legal track car.

    Originally posted by Danny
    I have silicone hoses on my s50 swap. Mostly for the bling factor, I don't know if it actually affects the cooling at all.
    I wasn't thinking it would affect cooling, just maybe more durable with al.the heat.

    Leave a comment:


  • diegom6
    replied
    Allright, I had some experience with my car in the track.

    I'm using top mount turbo, mishi e36 alu rad with stock puller fan/clutch and pusher stock aux fan on front. My A/C works, etc.

    I must say at full throttle (like if you were going to cruise in the track lol) in every lap, this bith is going to be HOT as you never coud think before. Be sure to wrapp EVERYTHING under the hood, you heared well, EVERYTHING. The turbo and tubular header (not sure if the log mani will) will glow red like mofo so yo uknow what it can cause. If a brake line is near the hot piping (turbo header, WG, etc) wrapp it as well as I didn't and the next day my brakes had to be bled.

    My temp gauge needle jumped to about 3/4 and not sure of the oil temp as I didn't have temp gauge for it but I could imagine how hot was.

    Is this you street/track car?

    Leave a comment:


  • lolcantturn
    replied
    Originally posted by blunttech
    Its not easy and granted Im running a stock rad but I have radiator/one puller/one pusher/intercooler/ac condenser and oil cooler all wedged up there
    and it looks totally stock with the front end on
    My god, any pics?

    Leave a comment:


  • Danny
    replied
    I have silicone hoses on my s50 swap. Mostly for the bling factor, I don't know if it actually affects the cooling at all.

    Leave a comment:


  • blunttech
    replied
    Originally posted by lolcantturn
    Silly question as I'm not a turbo guy, But how would one fit a Radiator+ pusher, intercooler, and oil cooler + pusher all in the front?
    Its not easy and granted Im running a stock rad but I have radiator/one puller/one pusher/intercooler/ac condenser and oil cooler all wedged up there
    and it looks totally stock with the front end on

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    replied
    Danny, exhaust housing on turbo is ceramic coated,TCD bottom mount will be coated, downpipe will be coated as well, then turbo blanket.

    Silicone radiator hoses?

    Leave a comment:


  • Danny
    replied
    You can fit the intercooler and oil cooler down below the condenser, in the valence. Could probably even fit a small oil cooler between the rad supports in front of the condenser.

    Leave a comment:


  • lolcantturn
    replied
    Silly question as I'm not a turbo guy, But how would one fit a Radiator+ pusher, intercooler, and oil cooler + pusher all in the front?

    Leave a comment:


  • Danny
    replied
    Mishimoto with a big pusher fan should be fine.

    Invest in a turbo blanket and something like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70297/

    Hopefully you won't have to cut a hole in your hood. I'd definitely wrap your mani and downpipe, but that's just a given.

    Leave a comment:


  • z31maniac
    started a topic Turbo guys and track days, re: cooling.

    Turbo guys and track days, re: cooling.

    Goal is a 300whp/300wtq 2.8 M20, T40e, which will be super easy on this setup.

    My concern is keeping the car cool during the Oklahoma summers. Heat index was ~100 this weekend during an HPDE. And July/August are worse.

    MCoupe radiator enough, or big aluminum only? Thoughts on oil cooler size?

    Also considering E85 and going with a fuel cell just to have a bit more capacity because of the reduced mileage.

    Thoughts/comments/concerns/experience welcome.
Working...