Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$1000 for a sitting e30, should I try it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$1000 for a sitting e30, should I try it?

Local body shop has got an old e30 pretty sure its a 325i. It has been sitting outside the shop for a few years. Owner doesnt want to sell it because he has over 1k in the paint. (he painted it with that weird chameloen paint that gained popularity a few years back). Body looks pretty good from what I can tell, no rust around liscense plate lights or inner fenders.

I can't find my old ETK discs so I can't decode the VIN, its WBAAA1309K8255234.

Big problem is that he says its running really bad. It'll start and drive but it runs rough he said, he started getting annoyed at my questioning so he wasn't willing to start it up for me at the time. He thinks its a blown headgasket. I'm hoping it is just a vacuum leak. He said with the current problems he might let it go as is for $800.

I mean body looks good and it runs, that should be worth $800 alone right?

He also said he just put rear wheel bearings and a performance clutch (I'm guessing sachs).

Should I be running to the ATM right now?
    West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
    ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

325i
    build 11/1988

I would not drive a car that had chameloen paint. The paint job would add no value to the car for me.

Comment

Yep. The paint was wasted on the car. Could definitely be worth picking up for sub 1k though

Bahama Beige E23 Project
      Bluebird Bus Conversion
      New Oregon Trail

Comment

I thought realoem had a decoder, I'm just dumb and overlooked it. Oh no I told the guy the paint does nothing to make me want to spend more, I got a gallon of Cosmic Blue Metallic waiting to get sprayed on something.

If he put a sachs cluctch on thats almost worth the $800 there isnt it? What do I look for on the drivetrain to tell if its limited slip? I'm going back now to start it up and take pictures. Any way to easily tell if its a blown head gasket?
        West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
        ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

Unlikely that there is an LSD installed, it should say "S" on the tag if it is a limited slip. Maybe try checking the oil to see if it is getting water in it? How is the interior?

Bahama Beige E23 Project
          Bluebird Bus Conversion
          New Oregon Trail

Comment

Hopefully be back with pictures shortly, interior is ok tan is not my fav color. Non recaro seats are a drag but no real tears. Dash cracked of course.

But again shouldn't I be jumping at the idea of $800, I mean performance clutch and rear wheel bearings would cost me $800 in parts alone right?

If the A/C blows cold I'm definitely getting it. You have to buy a new compressor to make it work on R34A right?

Comment

Got skills, room and time?

How could this even be a question?

Or is this a poorly disguised attempt at a bragging troll?

If so, you really should step up your trolling game...

GET IT!

Luke

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Thanks luke, not really wanting another e30 to work on, need something to drive since my DD eta is falling apart. But hell for $800 I got the space to let it sit and wait on an S50!

Comment

First time uploading iphone pictures on R3V, didn't think they'd turn out so big.
                  So paint color:bad
                  Wheels: pretty bad
                  Interior color: Bad

But Doesnt seem to have rust and if I can get it for 800 and limp it home to work on it I think its well worth it.

Comment

u can do better!!! I found mine for 800 and other than needing suspension was running like a beast. oh it had no rust either

Comment

Hahah you should get a giant wing and a fake intercooler for it

interior looks nice tho
                      Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                      A Topless Memorandum

Comment

i'd rock the fuck out of a chameleon e30... you guys are just jealous you didn't think of it

Comment

Do it! the parts alone are definitely worth it: wheels, clutch, plastic bumpers.

Comment

for 800, it could be worthwhile, at least any i car in my opinion. The paint is already peeling at the bumper but that color could be do able with droppage and Rs's.
                            1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                            You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by swingard View Post
                              u can do better!!! I found mine for 800 and other than needing suspension was running like a beast. oh it had no rust either

Show me where this magical land of $800 dollar e30s is. I'm hoping it is just a vacuum leak and not a blown head gasket. Hell it has been sitting for about a year so of course its not going to run very good.

Taking a battery and some treated gasoline tomorrow to see just how bad it'll run.

I've got a gallon of Cosmosblau I was going to put on my ETA but the shell is rusty and falling apart. I'll prob rock the Chameleon for the laughs for a month or so, but I have every intent to paint it soon.

I don't know what wheels those are but I'm not a fan. Maybe I can buff them out to be kinda shiny and they might look decent

Comment

Working...
                              X