Is less more for mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is less more for mods?

I'm wondering what people think the best way to own or modify an E30 is?

I know that there are as many opinions as there are owners but...

I have owned a lot of vehicles stock and otherwise and the longer I am into E30s the more I think it is awesome to not deviate too far from the basic stock design that made these cars so popular in the first place. Relatively light, tossable, not too complicated, good looking, etc. I have been as guilty as anyone of modifying cars to the point where it barely resembles the original car but am coming to realize that less is more for these cars. A few tasteful well thought out proven (performance, reliability, comfort, or style) upgrades is in many ways "better" than balls out radical changes...thoughts?

And yes I am getting older ;)
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

I agree.

I like mods that build off the original intentions of the car; good handling, fun to drive, etc..

I like aftermarket suspension (coilovers, strut/spring combo) designed for performance, not stance. Stroker kits, exhaust etc..
    2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

Modded car go for less money, if that gives you an idea.

Comment

I think what is most important is modding your car to suit you better performance wise, how you want it to look, etc. instead of just modding it for the sake of having a huge mod list like most on this forum. I try, like you said, to not deviate too far from the original car. M20 motor, original seats, original color with a bit of metal flake, and so on.
        -Alex

Comment

Properly modified cars do not lose value.

You won't get what you put into it but it will be worth more (to the right buyer).

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

99 times out of 100, less is more and more is less when it comes to cars.
            sigpic

Comment

super clean orig. car with a nice drop and great wheels is all you need in this world!

Comment

I'm 28. When I was 18, I had my first car: '86 325es, bronzit. I hated the color, so had it painted (maaco, bc I didn't care about quality), nissan 350z bright blue. I modded it with as much ebay shit as I could, spray paint trim...etc. I look back on that car and laugh. I would never buy it no matter how much someone paid me. lol

Now, 10 years later, I've owned 5 additional E30's since then. My latest project is an '89 325is, ironically bronzit. What once was a color that I despised, mainly due to it's poor and lackluster 15 year old appearance, has "grown" on me and is the benchmark for what a well-done E30 should be; a stock, tastefully modded appearance.

This latest addition to my fleet is going to be a stock 'is with only factory mods. If it BMW didn't offer it, it isn't going on the car. I think that I've changed quite a git in the past 10 years.
                Recent Rebranding!!
                Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                E30 SM62/S62
                E30 M60 V8
                E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                Instagram.com/garageaholic
                Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

And as a followup it would be cool if people listed some stuff that they eventually got rid of and why such as hood pins on a street car (did I once do that and why?)
                  Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

When I started off on my very first e30(325es) when I was 16(turning 25 in oct). I put shit tons of audio in and went to comps. It was lots of fun and I honestly did nothing to my car that was rice or otherwise lame, like Frank ;) P.S. thanks for stopping over this weekend man. Always nice to see that 335ic!

But as I have grown up I have found what I enjoy in life. My knack or place if you will. I am all go and next to no show. You can click my build thread below to see what I mean.

Also I do not believe as you grow older that you lose intrest in performance and modding aspect of cars. I grid Watkins Glen Speedway and most of the drivers there are over 40s EVEN more so for the porsche owners.

But tasteful improvements can be just a simple Bilstein sport shocks and sturts with H&R sport/race springs. They handle amazing and take it easy on your old ass. Also some nice period correct wheels do wonders for the look of a e30.

Performance can be had while keeping a period correct look under the hood.
                    -cam, chip, air intake etc
                    -header/bigger exhaust and smooth sounding muffler.
                    -z3 shifter, new bushings and a weighted knob.
                    All these things are tasteful, add value and IMPROVE what BMW did not have or provide in the 80-90s
                    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                    ~ '87 535
                    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

I wouldn't doubt that in a while M50 swapped cars will be worth less than a (modified) M20 car.
                      -Alex

Comment

It's about making the car suit yourself more then anything else. Yea sone people go over board but for me a drop, wheels, little performance stuff, and a comfy seat and I'm good. Well that and getting rid of the auto that my car was, 5spd and straight pipe exhaust made me fall in love with my car lol

Originally posted by nwvb bmw
                        That guy is going to lock you in his basement and make you ware a little pirate costume.

Comment

me thinks that unless you have a wealth of knowledge, skills, time, and money, the best way to go about things is to BUY your performance, then use modifications to suit how you want the car to feel.

Buying performance = buying a fast car instead of trying to make a slow car fast.

Comment

More is only better if you're doing the right mods.

My modus operandi would be something like:

1. Interior: Better steering wheel, more supportive seats, short shifter, shift knob.

2. Brakes are always a good upgrade, or at least a good idea to refurbish to stock.

3. Suspension: Coilovers, or springs & shocks, sway bars, strut braces, poly bushes.

4. Wheel selection to suit tyre choice.

5. LSD & C&P to suit driving style.

6. Power.
                            Last edited by Sample UF; 08-29-2011, 08:15 AM.

Comment

I think the more the merrier! It is nice when people slap as much stuff on their rides as they can. Chrome extinguishers, chrome air vents, chrome roll bars, little perfume fans in front of their heater vents, all kinds of stuffed dolls hanging off their windows and rear tow hooks, AEM and Fram stickers EVERY WHERE, large exhaust systems, shit coil overs that clunk and creek, bad Ebay light kits made of fake carbon fiber, painted yellow stock brake calipers, red Sparco knock off seats with yellow stitching and cigaret burns, and sub boxes from O'REilly Auto Parts!

LOOOOOOVVVEEEEE THHHHAAAAT SHIIIT!
                              sigpic
                              "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Working...
                              X