Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about a E46 XI for winter - what should I know before hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about a E46 XI for winter - what should I know before hand?

Hi guys,
    As the title says, I'm looking for a E46 (preferably a 330) for winter. I don't know anything about the E46 series.
    Anything specific i should be on the lookout for when considering a purchase? Any input would be greatly appreciated. TIA
    sigpic

I've lived in eastern Canada and Boston for a bunch of years, so I have lots of experience driving in the icy/slushy/slick conditions up there. In my experience, the BMW "X-Drive" system is among the absolute WORST when it comes to really slippery conditions. It basically just cuts power. Very difficult to control in a slide, and very hard to get moving once you're stopped if it's really slick. Honestly, you'd be better off with a regular RWD BMW. As long as it's got snow tires and a functioning LSD, you'll be in better shape than you would with an X-Drive car.

If you insist on AWD, get a Subaru with mechanical/viscous diffs. My dad's '05 Forester 2.5 XT was very surefooted in the snow and ice. It had reasonable ground clearance without being wallowy. Never got stuck. Much better than my '03 Lancer Evo VIII (although that car had 400hp, was very low, and ran 255/40-R17 rubber).

Honestly, my old '90 325iX was pretty much the perfect winter beater. I still regret selling it. It was a 1-owner car originally purchased by a BMW CCA life-time member and came with full service history from day 1. With 205/55-R15 snow tires, that thing was a billy goat. Best winter car I've ever driven.
    sigpic
    1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
    2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

you should know it's not an e30.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Emre View Post
        I've lived in eastern Canada and Boston for a bunch of years, so I have lots of experience driving in the icy/slushy/slick conditions up there. In my experience, the BMW "X-Drive" system is among the absolute WORST when it comes to really slippery conditions. It basically just cuts power. Very difficult to control in a slide, and very hard to get moving once you're stopped if it's really slick. Honestly, you'd be better off with a regular RWD BMW. As long as it's got snow tires and a functioning LSD, you'll be in better shape than you would with an X-Drive car.

If you insist on AWD, get a Subaru with mechanical/viscous diffs. My dad's '05 Forester 2.5 XT was very surefooted in the snow and ice. It had reasonable ground clearance without being wallowy. Never got stuck. Much better than my '03 Lancer Evo VIII (although that car had 400hp, was very low, and ran 255/40-R17 rubber).

Honestly, my old '90 325iX was pretty much the perfect winter beater. I still regret selling it. It was a 1-owner car originally purchased by a BMW CCA life-time member and came with full service history from day 1. With 205/55-R15 snow tires, that thing was a billy goat. Best winter car I've ever driven.
        Thanks for the input. I'm trying to keep the E30 out of the snow/salt as it's counter productive for restoration purposes. :)

Not having any first-hand experience in a X-Drive car, I would have thought the opposite (especially being the almighty BMW). I would have figured they'd have their shit together with AWD.

I was actually first thinking about getting a Subaru, so I will look into that further. One reason I was asking, is that the two seem to be around the same price range of 10k for what I was looking at.

Being in the higher elevations of MA, I'm definitely leaning towards AWD. Perhaps a basic Subaru WRX with a nice set of blizzaks or something similar.
        Thanks again.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
          you should know it's not an e30.
          Obvisously it's not an E30, like I said above, I have no first-hand experience with X-Drive and would have assumed they might have their shit together by now. Guess not from what I'm reading!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sector6 View Post
            Not having any first-hand experience in a X-Drive car, I would have thought the opposite (especially being the almighty BMW). I would have figured they'd have their shit together with AWD.
            it's all downhill after the e30.

buy an ix.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

A lot of the owner watch way to much rally and often take them to walmart parking lots and rally jump them. Ripples around the sun roof is a tell tell sign.
              sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
              The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

i wasnt aware walmart parking lots have rally stages.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

We have a line on a couple of IX's up for sale, if you decide to go that route drop me a line.
                  sigpic
                  New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                  %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil View Post
                    We have a line on a couple of IX's up for sale, if you decide to go that route drop me a line.
                    Thanks, I don't have cash in hand (and won't in the foreseeable future), so unfortunately will be needing to finance it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                      it's all downhill after the e30.

buy an ix.
                      I did have a 91 IX for a short while, but it was a total POS. Didn't run for shit and the AWD didn't work to boot. :( Didn't know what to look for when i bought it and got ripped off. Live and learn.
                      sigpic

Comment

I own a 2001 325xi Touring.. it's a great car. I live in Florida, so it doesn't see much snow, but the thing is killer in rain. I put some really good tires on it, and the thing is awesome. Decent clearance, comfortable ride, decent amount of room. People say a lot of bad things about the car, but I bought it with 98,000 well serviced miles 2 years ago.. now it has like 128,000 and other than oil/filter changes the thing has been great. I replaced the water-pump as a preventative and the thing is solid.. plus I get good gas mileage (23-24 city, but I have a feather foot.. plus I coast a lot.)

Anyway, get a Subaru. I would not want a "winter beater" to be an e46 XI.. unless you're loaded, then go for it.
                        My 1991 318is Progression Thread

Comment

Originally posted by sector6 View Post
                          I did have a 91 IX for a short while, but it was a total POS. Didn't run for shit and the AWD didn't work to boot. :( Didn't know what to look for when i bought it and got ripped off. Live and learn.
                          i love both my ixs. :)

my rx8 is pretty beast in the snow too. as long as it has the blizzaks. i was once in a very sudden snow storm (70 3 days before) on my toyo t1rs. goddamn that was the scariest thing i've ever done. but it just goes to show even rwd (with lsd!) is perfectly good as long as you have the right tires for the conditions.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Nairb View Post
                            I live in Florida, so it doesn't see much snow, but the thing is killer in rain. I put some really good tires on it, and the thing is awesome.
                            You have to actually drive it in the snow to see what an epic fail X-Drive really is.

My dad replaced his 2.5XT with an X3 and it's truly shocking how much worse it is in the snow and ice. I honestly prefer to drive my 560SL (RWD, 5.6L V8, no traction control) when the weather is really bad. With LSD and good snow tires, it leaves the X3 in the dust. At least you can control the damned thing. The X3 just wants to plow straight ahead. And god help you if you start sliding...because the traction control cuts power and now you're just along for the ride.

Originally posted by Nairb View Post
                            I would not want a "winter beater" to be an e46 XI.. unless you don't want a car that actually works in the snow.
                            There. Fixed it for you ;)
                            sigpic
                            1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
                            2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

I used to have e46 330i (auto, not X). In Toronto and we get decent amount of snow in the winter time. I found the best way to drive was by turning traction control off. With TC the fuel won't cut out and you can spin tires to get out of snow and driveways easy. Just ensure you have the thinnest winter tires possible...I had Good Years 205/50/17 on my car and never got stuck....on the highway you can have TC on for greater stability, but it is worthless to keep TC on in the city driving.

Comment

Working...
                              X