Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suggestions and advice for some e30 work

hi,

my e30 needs a new oil pan as i cracked it driving up a gutter months and months ago, i fixed it by plugging the hole with this special putty that hardens like steel and is heat proof.

found out that my engine mounts have sunk and that is why the pan was so low to the ground and got cracked

i have all the parts i need to fix it just not really any way of doing it myself

im 21, and the only means of jacking the car up is two front end basic steel ramps

what do i do?

here is my situation, i either pay a mechanic idk how much probably 400-1k of labour (remember im in OZ and mechanics here dont seem to know shit about BMW's) for them to replace the pan and engine mounts

or attempt to do it myself...
    sigpic

- 1987 325e m20 6cyl manual -

Spend a few hundred bucks on tools.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Any buddies or parents have tools? I would hate to pay a for a shop to do that because it would be rather expensive.

Maybe even a few forum members are close by.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
        Spend a few hundred bucks on tools.
        what sort of tools will i need :D
        sigpic

Comment

is it easy to swap out the sump and mounts if you have only jackstands?
          sigpic

Comment

you need:

jack
            2 jack stands
            a piece of wood for the jack against the bell housing
            10mm socket and ratchet wrench for the oilpan bolts
            10mm ratchet boxend wrench
            10mm open and boxend wrench (non-ratchet)
            15mm or 17mm socket to remove the top and bottom nuts from the motor mounts
            a friend to push the engine left or right to slide the motor mounts out
            17mm ratchet boxend wrench to drop the oil pump with the oilpan once the oil pan is loose.

replace in reverse.

or just rent or buy a cherry picker and pull the engine up a little and drop the subframe. but I don't recommend that.
            '84 325e - "Elizabeth"
            '87 325e (SHELL) - "Sleeping Beauty" - COMPLETE PROJECT PART-OUT - S54, 5-LUG, and MORE

sigpic

Comment

thanks for the list, very helpful

i would so much rather do the work on my car myself than pay heaps of money to get someone else to do it

i see we have the same model car ^^ what year is yours? :)
              sigpic

Comment

hey nebulous by the way

do you know if you have to remove the crossmember underneath the car to get at the oil pan?

some cars have a removable one that bolts on and some a welded one?

or can this be done without removing it?

thanks
                sigpic

Comment

and also, while i will probably never be a mechanic is anyone on here pretty much a mechanic but has a completely different job that they do full time?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broom Broom View Post
                    and also, while i will probably never be a mechanic is anyone on here pretty much a mechanic but has a completely different job that they do full time?
                    wrenching on your car is not that hard, just requires some practice like most things

Comment

Originally posted by Broom Broom View Post
                      what sort of tools will i need :D
                      17mm, 10mm, 3/8 ratchet w/ extension.

I personally would get a engine support, cheap 2 ton jack OR use the factory one and do a side at a time. Also get two GOOD jack stands, as these will be supporting the load over your head ;) I personally have stands that my father made from 20 years ago. They use a HEAVY pin design locking design.

That way you can lift the engine up and remove the subframe and do the pan and mounts with ease!

I know this route will cost more, but in the long run of DIY repairs you will be saving ALOT of money.

~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                      ~ '87 535
                      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Buy a Bentley manual and a basic metric tool set and start wrenching. Working on your car is not hard (for most tasks). The reason why you have to pay a mechanic so much money is that you are paying for their experience and knowledge.
                        Taking out a few bolts does not require much experience, so you should be able to take care of it yourself.
                        So buy a set of wrenches, buy a Bentley manual, buy a 12 pack, and invite a buddy over to help you out.
                        One important thing to keep in mind: Don't drink the 12 pack before you start wrenching. Drink the beer while you are wrenching. Don't work on a car drunk.

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
                        2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Where in Aus are you? I have done a HG replacement and am currently working a suspension refurb. Here is a list of tools I have about $700 worth

Stanly Socket Set
                          Stanly Screw Driver Set
                          12-200nm Kincrome Torque Wrench
                          500mm Braker Bar
                          4 Jack Stands
                          1 Hydrolic Jack
                          Torx Socket Set
                          Allen Socket Set
                          Hammer
                          Couple of Plyers

With just this you can do about 90% of the jobs on your car. No Shit also buy the bentley manuel I also have the 101 projects for your bmw 3 series which has been handy.

Considering every time I want to the mech it was about $2000 worth I very quickly learnt how to fix my car lol.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                            17mm, 10mm, 3/8 ratchet w/ extension.

I personally would get a engine support, cheap 2 ton jack OR use the factory one and do a side at a time. Also get two GOOD jack stands, as these will be supporting the load over your head ;) I personally have stands that my father made from 20 years ago. They use a HEAVY pin design locking design.

That way you can lift the engine up and remove the subframe and do the pan and mounts with ease!

I know this route will cost more, but in the long run of DIY repairs you will be saving ALOT of money.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...K498BCQ9QV072B
                            thanks a heap, i agree about getting good quality car jacks those one's on amazon look good

do harbor freight ship to Australia?

thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
                              Where in Aus are you? I have done a HG replacement and am currently working a suspension refurb. Here is a list of tools I have about $700 worth

Stanly Socket Set
                              Stanly Screw Driver Set
                              12-200nm Kincrome Torque Wrench
                              500mm Braker Bar
                              4 Jack Stands
                              1 Hydrolic Jack
                              Torx Socket Set
                              Allen Socket Set
                              Hammer
                              Couple of Plyers

With just this you can do about 90% of the jobs on your car. No Shit also buy the bentley manuel I also have the 101 projects for your bmw 3 series which has been handy.

Considering every time I want to the mech it was about $2000 worth I very quickly learnt how to fix my car lol.
                              thanks man

i just recently bought the bentley and have been reading it, seems very useful and im thinking of getting the 101 projects as well

cool so it looks like i just need to spend some dough on some tools instead of spending it on a mechanic
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X