Any 944 owners out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any 944 owners out there

I am becomming very interested in purchasing a 944 non turbo. What are the major trouble areas in these cars? How expensive are parts? What kind of mileage do they get? How reliable are they? Diffucult to repair? All the normal questions. Any owner or former owners input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Not an owner.. but a BEAUTIFUL example came up on CL about 2 months ago here in Sarasota for $4500 and I almost jumped on it.. it was definitely driven, but it was very very well taken care of..

I am not sure if it's still for sale, but I have his number and email if you want to try to talk to him..

EDIT: Added pic of the one that was for sale. These are just cool looking cars! I'm sure they're a blast to drive..
    Attached Files
    My 1991 318is Progression Thread

Comment

Expensive, non turbos are slow, brake design is retarded

Comment

They aren't really the most fun cars if they are N/A. Turbo is a different story, and even then, the maintenance and parts for these cars are very costly. I personally love the design and look of them, not to mention the 50/50 balance. If you were to get one, I would hope you have some steep pockets.
        1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
        2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
        2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

It's a ~25yo car with Porsche parts prices.

But the Turbo is a damn sexy car.
          Originally posted by Gruelius
          and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

I love them. My dad had one when i was a kid so i alway wanted one since then and i ended up picking up mine. Bought it with 47k miles and nearly perfect condition. However i just sold her last month :( But there good and bad like any car. I think it was more of a performance car then then e30. I say this because stock they are pretty much already built up. 951(turbo 944) come standard with full koni suspension. and they all come with headers, cold air intake, and even head studs. front and rear vented disc brakes and the list can just keep going. However what i don't like about them is that you can't get the n/a much faster. it is what it is unless you do a 350 ls1 swap. it was the best handling car I've ever road in and it was quicker then my e30 but not by much.

for parts, well ya there more expensive then the bmw. but DON"T buy anything from a dealer, duuu.... search online and you can find some good deals. I highly sugust you cheak out 944online.com great forum and great people and they stock every part brand new and with good prices. The biggest pain is the timing belt, every 3 years or 30k miles. and its a 500+ job to do it yourself. its not difficult to do just expensive. If you want to know anything about them just send me a pm sometime and i can help you out.

Hope this helps
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

I dont think I would buy one unless its a turbo, and then your are in e30 m3 range so it kinda makes ya think.

Comment

My buddy had a 944 turbo.. he loved it and needs to buy another!

lol in the first pic posted... there is one that color in town sort of for sale. VERY rare color

Comment

I was seriously considering one back in the early 00's after I sold my 325es and was looking for a 325is.

Great cars? you bet!
                  worth the price of admission and maint. over a nice e30? I dont' think so!

..unless we are talking the turbo, and like was mentioned earlier, is a completely different story
                  If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Working...
                  X