The YAN-3 Fund.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Digitalwave
    I donated. And I'd like to donate again, directly to Yan this time.
    I too am donating.

Josh, it may be best for you to sit this one out, and figure out how you intend on rectifying this situation. There have been a few good suggestions in this thread already.
    world renown Harry Potter expert
    sigpic

Comment

Wow that was a great 3 year 30 page story,im tired and going to bed now.:yawn:
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

link to the backstory doesn't work. backstory anyone?
        Originally posted by dvck
        I'm going to say this nicely; go fuck yourself.

Comment

The tl;dr
          Yan pays vlad to paint car
          Vlad cocks it up and drives Yans car without permission to a show
          Yan (the saint) doesn't go apeshit but rationally presents his case
          Vlad (the cock) goes apeshit defending himself
          r3v via Josh tried to rectify the situation by raising funds for Yan
          Funds are raised and everyone forgets about it till thread resurrection
          Questions are asked about conclusion
          Josh tells all about how funds are now gone
          r3v does what r3v does, questions are asked and now Josh is trying to rectify the situation.

Shitty tl;dr I know but thats the whole thing.
          Originally posted by csermonet47
          Vlad, you are handling this quite unprofessionally.

Also, you are a cock with tacky taste.

That is all.

Comment

It is an interesting aspect to the story that the mods were being expected to monitor Josh's activities. I run a couple of FB pages, and there is occasionally drama. I go in and wrangle it back into shape when it has gone seriously awry. But I do not monitor every aspect of other people's behavior on the pages, including the other admins. Josh seemingly (and I will give him the benefit of the doubt here) set up something meant to be good and helpful. I see no reason they would have been monitoring his behavior, as he was a trusted member of the community. No one is to blame for Josh's actions save for Josh. And I seriously hope he makes it right. Whether or not the money was stolen from him, he was the custodian of that money, by his own choice and actions.
            Originally posted by LJ851
            kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
            ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
            #teamross
            Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

You can never trust money with someone you can't see in the eye, but even that fails on occasion.
              Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Jand3rson View Post
                There is an update, and I'm sorry to inform everyone, it isn't a happy one. It's also quite embarrassing. Regardless, it shouldn't have taken this long to tell everyone about this, but I was petrified of the result. So here it is, putting it all out there.

Shortly after the last donations were received, the Paypal account that the funds were being held in was hacked. Over a couple of months, several amounts were transferred out of the account to different accounts, with people's names I'd never heard of. I wasn't aware it was even going on because the email account that I received the notifications at had been changed, even the account password had been changed, and I hadn't been checking the account regularly, I had no reason to.

I didn't have a very secure password on the account, and I'm guessing that someone in the community easily figured out and waited until the enthusiasm over the thread had died down, and flew in before I transferred the funds to Yan and began their work. In about the month or so prior, I had actually gotten an email at some point stating that someone had tried to log in to my account unsuccessfully. I had gotten these emails before and not really thought anything of it, as half the time, they're fake or phishing scams. I checked my account, and it was fine.

The worst part of all this is that since I couldn't prove the transactions weren't made by me, Paypal would not refund any of the funds. I was extremely frustrated with their service, I tried actually calling them on a few occasions, and was 2 out of 3 times placed on hold for almost 30 minutes. In the past, they wouldn't even properly change the name on the account from my wife's name to mine. When I tried to file a fraud case, it took them forever to get back to me, and once they finally did, I was continually told that they were unable to verify where the funds were sent to. This was the email I finally got back:

"Through careful research of your claim, PayPal’s Fraud Team has determined the transaction(s) you submitted do not represent unauthorized account activity because they are consistent with your account’s transaction history. As a result, we have denied your Unauthorized Account Use Claim."

I never made any of this public to the forums because I was firstly so embarrassed by the situation, and secondly because I was afraid of what it would look like. Looking back on it now, it's clear that using my own account for this type of thing was a HUGE mistake, since I used it all the time prior to this incident for all sorts of things like ebay and other things. I tried emailing Paypal a few more times trying to get more information from them, but all I would get were canned responses stating that the matter was closed, and there was no further information available. I shortly after closed the account completely, and hadn't opened a new one until recently, when I started selling things on ebay again, but with one hell of a password now...

Since then, I've wrestled with ways to try to get the funds back somehow, even replacing them myself, but I've never been able to. Yan was made aware of the situation some time ago, but I suspect didn't want to make it public and blow this whole thing wide open again. As I said before, my suspicion is and has been that someone in the community that knew what was going on, as well as how much was being raised was able to get into my account and steal the funds (someone banned for the debacle, I suspect...). To this day, I still feel personally responsible for this, and will be forever trying to find a way to set it right. If I could go back and be more vigilant over it, I would. I wanted to wait until we had a substantial enough amount to present to him that would take a bite out of what it would cost to have the work done, and I waited too long.

I make no excuses for what happened, and I accept that it was my fault for using not only my personal account, but for not securing it more properly, and not delivering the funds to Yan prior to the incident in a timely manner.
                A quick google search eurospeed88@gmail.com make be believe OP is lying and stole the funds.

1. 12/31/2011 or 01/01/2012 was the deadline for the donations.
                2. 01/24/2012 posted on this thread and the funds still have not transferred to Yan.
                3. Couple months for the hack would be sometime in April and OP claims closed the account completely short after.
                4. Google search he joined XDA-developers in Oct, 2012 and still have his email eurospeed88 to accept donation.
                5. In May of 2012, (from transaction feedbacks) Dec. of 2014, (from blunttech), May, 2014 (facebook), still uses eurospeed88 email.
                6. Gave conflicting information. OP claims to changed google password after the incident on a regular basis since, but also closed the account shortly after.
                7. If the email was hacked and password was changed by the hacker, how did OP's email was reclaimed.
                8. If the PP account was also hacked in, for months, OP didn't do shit while the donation funds was depleting while still have access to it? OP mentioned that over a couple months the funds were transferring to different account. So for this couple months, OP didn't check PP account at all?
                9. And still post wtb and fs threads like nothing was going on.
                10. 3 years later, OP come up with stories and scenarios?
                11. OP try to set up GoFundMe account to rectify the situation? Are you kidding me...

Maybe his story is true and his account was hacked, but I don't give a fuck now. I am moving on.

I don't wish any donations was made to this now, but I do hope one day a shop will voluntary correct Yan's M3 for free and people here to contribute to the shop instead when the job is done..
                sigpic
                327is
                325es
                325es
                318is
                Fiesta ST
                E46 M3

Comment

I would wait until someone actually hears from Yan before starting other donation efforts. This was 3 years ago for crying outloud. At the time, it seemed like a great wonderful idea to correct a great wrong. For all we know, Yan might be out of the e30 scene, sold the car, or not even want any further drama. It appears that dozens of people were victimized after they trusted someone representing R3V. That and the contradiction of events of emails being closed and re-open and having activity is all suspect.

Until we know what seriously transpired and the principals actually involved, I wouldn't dare contribute. As far as I know, there could be multiple emails and accounts from the same person who is just waiting for extra funds.

The idea of setting up an account for someone that doesnt even know he is getting funds or has not chimed in for 3 year is ubsurd.
                  Last edited by Javier h; 02-10-2015, 08:28 PM.

Comment

I will be setting up a GoFundMe account this week for Yan, payable directly to him, I will have no monetary involvement.
                    Given past transgressions I'd let someone else take the lead on this one.
                    Originally posted by Sonny
                    I am a meme for our community.

Comment

I am pathologically incapable of asking for help when I make a mistake, and this time, it's bitten me worse than ever. Instead of coming out with it, I tried to bury it in my own head, and look where it's gotten me.

tried to bury it in my own head.. what the hell does that mean ? sounds like more just ignore it and maybe it will go away. I have donated on a other car related website, for a crash victim(he died) and the money went to funeral expenses ... We were always given updates on the donations and all that donated were made aware the donations made it to the family.. I have read all the tread, I feel bad for Yan(victim 2x).. Josh was stripped of he admin/mod duties, until I feel he makes good on the donations he was intrusted with by the good folks of this website... maybe he should be banned until everything is settled up and that $2000 gets to Yan... Josh, you should have sent the $2000 to him when you had the funds.. by starting off by sending $25.00 , what is that going to gain the poor guy... out of sight out of mind.... shameful ...
                      Last edited by rob-redm; 02-10-2015, 08:27 PM.
                      it's just a ETA !

Comment

what !

I will be setting up a GoFundMe account this week for Yan, payable directly to him, I will have no monetary involvement.
                        Make sure you send the first $2000 you lost first to the guy... before asking others to donate again... really... some nerve..
                        it's just a ETA !

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
                          I would wait until someone actually hears from Yan before starting other donation efforts. This was 3 years ago for crying outloud. At the time, it seemed like a great wonderful idea to correct a great wrong. For all we know, Yan might be out of the e30 scene, sold the car, or not even want any further drama. It appears that dozens of people were victimized after they trusted someone representing R3V. That and the contradiction of events of emails being closed and re-open and having activity is all suspect.

Until we know what seriously transpired and the principals actually involved, I wouldn't dare contribute. As far as I know, there could be multiple emails and accounts from the same person who is just waiting for extra funds.

The idea of setting up an account for someone that doesnt even know he is getting funds or has not chimed in for 3 year is ubsurd.
                          Yan is still around. I spoke with him yesterday. He told me some things. He'll chime in when he is good and ready.
                          world renown Harry Potter expert
                          sigpic

Comment

Phreskid for MOD!!
                            sigpic

Comment

After this you post about a new donate option????? Fool me once, fool me twice....

Comment

If Josh was the one that took the money, he either would have been defending himself like Vlad did, or he wouldn't be posting on r3v anymore, let alone in this thread. He would have had no reason to admit what happened if he did take it. It's shitty what happened to both Yan and the money, but stuff happens. It would have been nice to hear that it happened when it did, but it's literally in the past. I hope that money is somehow able to get tracked and returned, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not sure what the proper way to fix this is, but it seems hes trying to make things right. I'm sure the mods are talking about it and trying to figure something out.
                                Need a limited slip differential? Check my FS threads

Feedback thread

Comment

Working...
                                X