Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whaddya think of this w201?

Found this on CL:

Looking for a 2nd car primarily for the little miss to drive, and she loves Mercedes.

I'll be test driving it tomorrow. 200k miles/ 2 owner car, but the current owner has only had it for 1 year. Previous owner was elderly woman. Never left Long Beach, CA. I asked her if she knew which engine was in ther car, but she did not know. I'm assuming it's a 2.3, but prob not 16v, although you never know. She says it came with all the factory options, and lots of chrome (which I'll probably remove).

I know nothing about the w201 except for what I'm reading on the forums. So, reliable engine, fairly easy maintenance, interchangeable parts with the w124, and lots of electrical issues.

My only question is, is 200k miles high? If it was e30, 200k is like a spring chicken. Same deal here?

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated, especially on what to look for when testing one. Thanks.
    '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
    current:
    '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
    '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

Get the 2.6 I6 if you can't find or afford the 16v. Form what I understand, later engine swaps are very straightforward, akin the the m/s/5x swap. Look for 90(or was it 91) and later MY.
    -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

It would mostly be for short daily commuting. Prob wouldn't go crazy with swaps on my first merc, especially since the girlfriend will be driving it. Not
      Looking for performance or power, just a nice classic ride. That being said, how is the reliability of the 2.3 engine?
      current:

Comment

I had a 92 180e and it was bulletproof. Most reliable car I have owned. Just make sure its got a good service history get under it if you can and check the basics.
        Originally posted by MR 325
        A noisy M20 is a happy M20.

Comment

at that price it has probably sold while you are sitting around thinking about it.
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

You want to be like these guys? :D

Comment

Its an 8 valve. Ask for smog check certificate or run. KEjet is a steaming pile of shit.

Comment

Yep, that's a Mercedes, alright.

Have fun with vacuum problems, EVERYTHING in that car is vacuum actuated.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                  Nope. The door locks are vacuum powered and electrically actuated. Its quite reliable.

Comment

The car is still available. She actually postponed our meeting today so he can get it smog checked ahead of time. So thats a plus I guess. Gonna check it out tomorrow.

Any pointers for checking for vacuum leaks?

What's KEjet?
                    current:

Comment

Yep, that's a Mercedes, alright.

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
                      Nope. The door locks are vacuum powered and electrically actuated. Its quite reliable.

Tjts is correct, they are very reliable.

Comment

My bad, I've just had a few friends with Mercedes of that era, and they were always having vaccum problems.

Comment

Even an 85 with 200k? As reliable as a 90-92?
                          current:

Comment

My bad, I've just had a few friends with Mercedes of that era, and they were always having vaccum problems.
                            The older W123 diesels had all sorts of issues. W201 and W124 are better sorted in that respect. The climate control also has some vacuum powered switches in it but again, they are very well sorted and repairs are straightforward.
                            Originally posted by BrooklynMW View Post
                            Even an 85 with 200k? As reliable as a 90-92?
                            My 92 2.6 manual has 195k miles, everything electrical and vacuum related still works. I don't know of any major differences between 86 and 92. Your biggest headache is going to be the mechanical fuel injection. Make sure it has a good smog certificate before you buy it otherwise get ready for a project. I ripped out all that garbage and replaced it with megasquirt. It works very well but I doubt you want to put that much work into it.

91+ cars have slightly nicer interior and there shouldn't be a big price difference. I paid $850 for mine 3 years ago. Other than KEjet there isn't much else to go wrong on these cars. Mechanically they are identical to the W124 in a smaller shell. Even suspension and brake components can be swapped between the 2. The 124 4 pot brakes and sway bars make a nice upgrade. I'm swapping a 3.0 into mine this summer.
                            good luck

Comment

I have a W124 and all vacuum-operated systems function perfectly. My dad has 3 W124's, and all of his are fine also. It is a very well-built and reliable setup. I wish E30's had the same, because E30 locking systems are not as sturdy.

Comment

Working...
                              X