No announcement yet.

Whaddya think of this w201?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the advice. Her smog results come in tomorrow morning. If it passes I'll check it out in the afternoon. Let you know how it goes.
    '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
    current:
    '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
    '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

Comment

its only 1000, if it were closer id buy it
      1991 BMW 325ix E30
      2008 BMW 335i E93

Comment

My sentiments exactly
        current:

Comment

I drove an '87 2.3 for about 2 years. I had a lot of electrical problems but it was a fun car. My friend has an 2.6 and she has had no issues with it.

Comment

my 87 16v has 178k miles on it, all functions vacuum lock related work. just like the e30, properly functioning central locking works with the trunk lock, door locks and gas cap. the climate control uses an electrical control board that actuates the vacuum system to move flaps around that control where the air comes out from the dash. I have seen where the lines are all hooked up, they are colored and labeled so it's fairly easy to trace.

vacuum issues under the hood though...those can be a huge pain in the ass and sometimes can send you down the wrong path of troubleshooting.

Brooklyn, when you go check it out, you'll know if there's a vacuum issue under the hood. a small vacuum leak will lead to rough idle, high/low idle, difficulty starting etc. When you check it out, inspect all the lines in the engine bay, check for dry rot/cracking etc. Checking for engine idle related vac leaks you just have a can of carb cleaner or something like that and spray a tiny bit of it on the vacuum lines with the engine running. if the idle smoothes out, then you've found your leaking line.
            | '89 M3 | '93 M5 | '03 X5 4.6is | '03 325i | '87 190e 2.3-16 |

Comment

A little OT but I recall the vacuum climate system on my 81 Volvo 240. POS system would NOT work in colder weather (-30C and lower) so whatever setting you had the car on in the warmer temps, the vacuum related buttons failed to have an effect on where the air was directed.

Another reason I'm pro e30.
              If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Yeah but I live in San Diego. If it gets a little warm, open a window. If it gets a little cold, shut it.
                current:

Comment

on the prairies, you open the window in spring and shut it in fall.

you guys have NO IDEA how nice you have it
                  If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Hey I lived in New York City for 28 years. I've only just moved to San Diego a year ago. So yeah, I DO know how good I have it.
                    current:

Comment

I checked out the car and passed in it. True, $1k is a great deal but I don't want to rush into something just cause its cheap. I don't have much experience with Mercedes and I want to drive a few more before making any crazy decisions.

It was is good shape, though. Straight and clean, no rust. Definitely needs a buff and some interior work.
                      But the windsheild was cracked, and the tires were unmatched and balding. Plus it really didn't feel like it ran strong, although like i said, don't have much exp. driving the Benz.

I'm on my way now to look at another one. It's a '91 with only 104k miles. She's asking $3k which is too high, but at least I'll have something to compare it to.
                      current:

Comment

Good call. I think you'll like the later car better. It has higher compression engine with 10 more HP. If you can hold out for a 5 speed (very rare) its a big improvement.

Comment

Boy were you ever right. Those extra 10hp really made a difference. The '91 was in excellent condition, drove great and sounded beautiful. Feels like the susp is getting a little soft and the steering wheel leans one way. Other than that, needs a good buff and polish and it's good to go.

I'm taking it over to Oceanside Motorsports in thursday for a pre purchase inspection. If it gets a clean bill of health I will make an offer. They want $3k which is completely rediculous. I will offer them $2k but settle at $2500. Or maybe I'll hold out for a cheaper one. But I'm smitten.
                          current:

Comment

Its no e30.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

The e30 ain't going nowhere. Just adding a new member to the family.
                              current:

Comment

Working...
                              X