Clear All

24 Hours Of Lemons Race

Funny, look at all the E30's they use.

88 M3 Diamantschwarz
    89 M3 Zinnoberrot
    56 Isetta

LIKE ARCHIE'S on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/archiesicecream

alot of them seem to be ex-Spec e30 racecars that can be bought on the cheap, but are already track-ready.
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Really looks good but reminds me why my team is running Chump. The 'humorous penalties' are meh. Being forced into a 'theme' is meh. And the old 'e30 hatred' thing. Still fun though. Enjoyed the watch.

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
        alot of them seem to be ex-Spec e30 racecars that can be bought on the cheap, but are already track-ready.
        What? Where can you get a retired SE30 car for $500?

Comment

haha i was in the race they took all that footage at

around 7m, our car (yellow e30 pickup truck) is up on jackstands because we kept spinning. the judges told us to take the wheels off and put them on the bleachers so that they can watch other cars and learn how to not spin. Meanwhile, we decided to find some other tires that maybe knew how to not spin. We borrowed a set from our sister team, brought them to the judges, convinced them that our tires could still learn valuable things while watching even if we were using other tires out on the track, put the new wheels on and went on our way after serving a hour and 15 minutes of a 3 hour penalty for spinning.
          cars beep boop

Comment

I'd love to do that.
            All just means to an end.

Comment

Uh, no. Our Lemons E30 is full of junkyard suspension and bits pulled off of parts cars. It's probably faster than my SE30 on comparable tires because they don't have the weight restrictions that they have in Spec.
              sigpic
              -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun. Almost worth a trip to the U.S.
                M20B23 Euro 323i - The Legend Of Ron Burgundrot

Comment

yeah, this is probably the most clueless post on R3V in a long time.

We ran the first East Coast Lemons race at CMP in SC a couple of years ago, some guys brought an ex-SpecE30 car that had been wrecked, but they banged out the damage and ran it. It ended up getting the "People's Curse" penalty and they crushed the shit out of it.

didn't help any that the guys who were driving drove like complete Assholes- they deserved to get crushed.

OTOH, our mostly stock 325e ended up in like 7th place at that race, and we were were just hoping to finish unscathed. Things have definitely ratcheted up since they started crapcan racing- you really have to have a well-prepped car, a team of drivers that know how to handle traffic and are not hard on the equipment and a good dose of luck to finish in the top 5 at most of these races.

Comment

I'd say an E30 is the perfect Lemons car. After driving in a couple of them, and acting as crew chief for another few races, the e30s when driven well are pretty much untouchable. If I were to build a Lemons car, I'd go with either and e28 or E30. Yes, the car will be penalized to the moon for the first several races. No way around that. That means that a set of Koni sports end up on the car, a good set of sway bars (obviously not brand new looking, but they don't check that closely and since the sway bars hide pretty well, it might not be that big of a deal.) I'd go through the motor, top to bottom and have at it. Is that technically cheating? You bet, but if I'm going to get penalized anyway, who cares. A solid, fresh stock motor will go the distance, and if one were to throw a chip in, along with a cam or two, three races in, the car will be untouchable if driven well. (That is the key.)

If you have a semi fast car and keep it on track, turn steady laps and don't get screwed by phantom yellow flags, you have a chance to win. Its not about the fastest laps on track, its about the most laps on track and that's done with the best average lap times. Quick clean pit stops are also key.

Will
                    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Working...
                    X