Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions on Classic Car insurance on my early e30 in NJ!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on Classic Car insurance on my early e30 in NJ!!

Guys,

Just picked up an '87 sedan. I realized this is 25 years old, and my insurance is pretty high. My '88 325is is under my mothers name, Progressive is our company. I am 21, I have no points but a record of using all my carless drivings in the past I was in 2 accidents (one jetta, one focus) but that was over 2.5 years ago and have really been clean since.

Anyways, I was looking into registering the car the cheapest it can be. Money is pretty tight, and I figure if anything happens to my e30 I would be doing the work anyways.

My cars are just fun beaters, no show cars, so I really just need the bare minimum to be legal. I was wondering if any you guys had quotes for classic car insurance, I know there are a whole lot of branches (non modified, semi, etc). Most importantly, It needs to be daily driveable, I cant have insurance that is "weekend only" or restricted to 6k miles a year. I drive about 1k a month, so about 20k a year would be safe.

Most importantly, Im in NJ. Im just looking for first hand input, I am researching it online and possibly calling the company tomorrow.

PS: I know historic cars do not need a regular inspection after 25 years I believe. I was wondering if It required QQ plates for lack of inspection, or what the deal was with that aswell. I currently registered it regularly w/ transferred plates to just get the car home.

Thanks!

they limit your miles, sometimes hours when you can drive, and sometimes also require ownership of a second vehicle that serves as a DD and a covered place in which the insured vehicle is stored.

do yourself a favor and shop around. i carry liability only, $500 deductible, uninsured motorist coverage, decent property/personal damages coverages, am 20, and pay $40 a month with state farm.

Comment

As of now I have my '87 sedan and '88 coupe. If I can't sell the coupe, Id more then love to continue tinkering it while my sedan is my "daily".

My buddy pays 200/year for his 74 mgb, and I knew a guy who insured his 83 rabbit for 140/year.

Right now, through reg insurance they are charging 140/m for bare bones on my sedan. With your policy, is that restricted to mileage/time of day you can drive? Or are you pretty much good to daily that whenever?

Like I said, just looking for a legal way to drive this car about 20k miles a year without restrictions, as cheap as I could get it. Most places i've looked at require it to be garaged, or basically not daily driven.

Comment

Originally posted by Poor Adam View Post
        PS: I know historic cars do not need a regular inspection after 25 years I believe. I was wondering if It required QQ plates for lack of inspection, or what the deal was with that aswell. I currently registered it regularly w/ transferred plates to just get the car home.
        Yeah, you need historic plates to be exempt from inspection.

Can't help with anything else though... curious myself, since my E30 will be eligible next year as well, don't want any restrictions on how much/where I drive it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Poor Adam View Post
          Right now, through reg insurance they are charging 140/m for bare bones on my sedan. With your policy, is that restricted to mileage/time of day you can drive? Or are you pretty much good to daily that whenever?

oh yeah, i forgot i have a 7500 mile limit. they don't check, but i don't drive more than that anyway so... moot point with a savings benefit!

Comment

Yep exactly. And I think when you hit historic plates, it becomes a bit stricter on insurance policies.

I got a 10 day pass on inspection from dmv, so Im good til then. If it helps any, I plan on keeping this car for a good while, and speedo doesnt even work anyways. So, I assume it being illegal, What would stop me from reenacting my speedo for good measure and when I get close pull the cord?
            A pic of my sedan for you folks reading this:

Comment

Working...
            X