H&R Cup Kit Vs. IE Stage 3 w/ Blisten Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H&R Cup Kit Vs. IE Stage 3 w/ Blisten Sports

I finally have the money, now I just have to decide which suspension to buy. The cup kit is cheaper by about $100. I want a fairly stiff suspension that I can auto-x in t he future. If you own either one of these setups, why did you buy it instead of something else?

- Jamie
    Jamie Webster
    '89 325is - sold :(
    '96 Miata - sold
    '01 M5 - sold
    '02 Civic Si

Cup Kit is to soft for serious Auto-X/track use.

IE Stage 3 is going to be "rough" on regular roads.

I'd go IE
    Below the radar...

Comment

I have the IE springs with Koni adjustables and i love them, with the shocks to full firm it is rock hard, I love it!!! Adjust the shocks to soft your ride will feel like sport springs and bilstiens. I have also heard that the cup-kit is too soft for auto-x. My vote is for IE.

Originally Posted by Rob
      fucking hell, your car is cleaner in the damn snow than mine ever has been in perfect weather. sedans own me.

Comment

Ok, I was leaning towards the ie's. I think that's what I'm gonna go with. Now I just need to find the cheapest place to buy everything.
        Jamie Webster
        '96 Miata - sold
        '01 M5 - sold
        '02 Civic Si

Comment

Ove Kvam from bmwe30.net said that the cup kit is not soft at all, and that it is stiffer than bilstein sports and H&R sports. Ted from our forum uses the cup kit also, autocrosses often, and does not think the cup kit is soft.

97 Cosmos M3

Comment

if you can, spring for some konis to couple with the IE springs, I wasn't too impressed with my bilstein sports even with RD springs

Comment

I have a Cup Kit, on my E36. Not exactly an apple vs apple comparison, but it's still fruit....

Point here is, I bought the Cup Kit because it was designed to __slam__ the car, which it does, and retain a very streetable ride, which it also does.

However, it is definitely softer than your standard H&R Race setup.

It's not super-soft, I really enjoy the ride and the handling when I'm in the twisties - but without having experiend the IE's, I'd be willing to bet they're stiffer. Comes down to what you really want.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryson
                if you can, spring for some konis to couple with the IE springs, I wasn't too impressed with my bilstein sports even with RD springs
                What was wrong with the Blisten Sports?
                Jamie Webster
                '96 Miata - sold
                '01 M5 - sold
                '02 Civic Si

Comment

some ppl don't like the bil sports becasue they'r eno t adjustable... I love my IE/bil sport setup.

Also, it's not that the cup kit is soft, it's not soft jsut softER than the IE3 springs. the IE3's are a replica of the HR race springs but made by eibach. something like 450/650 spring rates...

Comment

I haven't ridden in a 325 with the cup kit, just my car. They arent race springs, but they handle fine for me. My car probably is stiffer since the rates are for the heavier 325. On a slightly related note, my roomates VR6 GTi with the cup kit is tons stiffer than my car, go figure
                    BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Bryson

You're the first person I've heard say this.

Comment

Maybe I just need to ride in both before I decide. I would like to save the money with the cup kit, but i don't want my suspension to be too soft. I don't think anyone in the Atlanta area has either one of these setups though. :(
                        Jamie Webster
                        '96 Miata - sold
                        '01 M5 - sold
                        '02 Civic Si

Comment

IE stage 3 springs are stiffer. I'd go with them and cut 1/2 or 1 inactive coil off the top of the front springs.
                          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Can Bilstein Sports even handle IE/H&R race springs?

97 Cosmos M3

Comment

Bilsteins arent the best shocks to be used in conjunction with stiff springs. Their Sport shocks are sufficient for Non-Race H&R or similar Eibachs.

They lack the serious ooomph needed by super stiff springs.
                              Below the radar...

Comment

Working...
                              X