Best Roof Rack for an E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Roof Rack for an E30

I figured this would have been a widely discussed topic, yet I couldn't find much at all when searching.

What are some good roof-racks that fit an E30, lock, and will safety hold a bike?

Thanks!
    Different strokes for different folks.

I am in for this too, once I finally get a coupe I'm in need of one for my bike/snowboard.
    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
    willschnitz

Comment

I believe there is a write up in the exterior/cosmetic section.
      sigpic

Comment

After owning both a Thule and now a Yakima I would definitely go with a Yakima and a 38" fairing (if you want one).

Yakima:

Thule:

Last edited by lambo; 08-16-2012, 09:18 AM. Reason: duuurrrr

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Lambo, no one makes a four door look good like you do.

I dig the fairings, what are the specs on your Yakima, is it E30 fitted or universal?
          Last edited by Threehz; 08-01-2012, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Threehz View Post
            Lambo, no one makes a four door look good like you do.

I'm guessing the Thule is the last two photos?

I dig the fairings, what are the specs on your Yakima, is it E30 fitted or universal?
            Thanks!

This is all you would need...

Yakima:

Mounts - http://www.yakima.com/shop/racksyste...1a-raingutter/

Load Bars - http://www.yakima.com/shop/racksyste...f/48-crossbars

Thule:

Mounts - http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Produc...tter-Foot-Pack

Load Bars - http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Produc...ar-Pack-2-Pack

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Are you using the 48" Yakima crossbars? And do you have the locks?

Comment

Agreed w Lambo. I have owned both Thule and Yakima and Yakima rules. I don't Bother running a fairing tho bc I feel it doesn't do anything . Minimal wind noise unlike thules

The crossbars are high enough where I can flip snowboards upside down and fit four boards up top....but not too high to create any more wind drag like my old thule was. I have the fork style bike racks and ive gone north of 80mph w two bikes and no issues
                www.instagram.com/snwmble
                #snwmble

Current:
                '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Are you using the Yakima crossbars? And do you have the locks?
                  Yeah, I have Yakima crossbars, they're cut down a little so they're a bit shorter than 48". I have locks for everything, mounts and the bike tray. Only thing with this style of bike tray, I would add an extra strap to hold the bike down on long road trips at high speeds. I did a 10 hour trip at around 80mph without a strap and it was fine, but I will add one next tie for extra precaution.

Comment

That fairing looks familiar.
                    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                    You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys, found my setup!

It sounds like the crossbars are just black plastic with rubberized coating so I'm going to get some black plastic tubing and rubberized coating at Home Depot because 60$ is outrageous and the end caps come with the towers..

Comment

It sounds like the crossbars are just black plastic with rubberized coating so I'm going to get some black plastic tubing and rubberized coating at Home Depot because 60$ is outrageous and the end caps come with the towers..
                        Dude. Check Craigslist. If you have patience you can the perfect setup for a good price.

Comment

Boom. Just cut down the load bars to whatever length you want and you'll be set.

Edit: nvm, though he was selling the whole setup for 100

Comment

Thule bars are metal.
                            1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                            You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Cheap and basically a perfect fit for an e30

Comment

Working...
                              X