protecting oil pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

protecting oil pan

I havent lowered yet but i see a lot on these forums about cracked oil pans and the effects of skid plates and how the M20 oil pan is so low.
    basically my question is, "has anyone tried using/getting larger motor mounts to raise the engine a bit more?" and would this work to raise the oil pan and how much room is there to raise before you hit/rub the hood? i imagine there would be some tweaks needed to be made because things would be under a different type of strain and all that jazz.

am i just tired or... thoughts?

i order to be safe, you need a U brace with the skid plate
    Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

well i mean in addition to those

Comment

adding washer to the motor mount may help
        Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

There is not alot of room to lift, I cannot fit my hand on top of the transmission. Let alone wanting to run into the fan catching on the surround. Skid plate is insanely easy way to install and protect your engine. No need to over think things.
          ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
          ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
          ~ '87 535
          ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
          ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Skid plate (I run the ejknight one), don't slam the shit out of your car on soft springs ( you needs coilovers and a stiff rate to go super low safely, don't drive like a fucktard!

I have been driving lowered cars since I could drive. Your needs to pay attention to what is infront of you & what is comming up on the road infront of you (pot holes, debris, snapping turtles, whatever)

A skid plate will help, but NO skidplate will protect you from EVERYTHING! It is not a license to run everything over willy nilly!

I hit a flowmaster muffler @ 40 mph when it fell off of the car infront of me. It hit the front apron then went under hitting the skid plate. No harm to the oil pan, my raceskids plate did it's job.

Raising the motor will change the center of gravity slightly and MAY effect the handleing of the car.
            seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I do recall someone one here raising their engine with washers. It's an older thread from 2-3 years ago though.

1992 BMW 325iC
              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

If you raise the engine too far, you could also run into issues with drive shaft alignment from your transmission sitting at too much of an angle.

Not sure if your engine would be hitting the hood by that point though.
                seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I did it, maybe half inch at most. No ill side effects

Comment

skid plate.

Because rally car.

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

any raising of the engine is going to have an ill effect on guibo deflection. How much you raise it will determine what effects you have but start making the guibo flex every revolution and youll be replacing it much sooner
                      We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                      www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

I protect my oilpan by being too broke to lower my car
                        87 ETA | Hibernating

Comment

Just get a skid plate and you'll be fine. By raising the engine you are also raising the center of gravity. Not really a great thing.
                          "Broke into the wrong God damn rec room, didn't ya you bastard!"

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
                            any raising of the engine is going to have an ill effect on guibo deflection. How much you raise it will determine what effects you have but start making the guibo flex every revolution and youll be replacing it much sooner

not really 100% true. the u-joints by the center support bearing will take up the slack for the extra angle. The largest problem I see, is there isn't really that much room to gain before you rub the hood, and putting washers under the motor mounts is going to put added strain on the subframe-- and yes they do crack.

Comment

how is what youre saying possible if the csb fixed? you raise the motor you would need to raised the csb an equal amount to keep everything in plane or youre going to have guibo deflection however small that is
                              We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                              www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X