auto w 3.73 gears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto w 3.73 gears?

Just installed a working auto in my vert(good times) after the old one started slipping. I have a limited slip 3.73, I was surprised to find this diff in the car as we all know most of the auto verts came w the 4.10 gears. Does anyone think this higher gearing is causing stress on the auto? Anyone out there have an e30 w auto and 3.73s?

2.79 or 2.93 like in the ETA's...perhaps that's a probable cause for auto failures on those models but 3.73? nah. In fact, the 87-88 automatics used 3.73 gears.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

My 91 325is is a semiauto w/4:10 lsd. I switched it out for shit's and giggles to see what it would run like with a 3:73 lsd for fuel mileage. About 500 to 600 rpm lower difference when i was driving at 70mph and shitty accel from a stop. It was even more slower than the 4:10. If you can get a 4:10 lsd ,switch out the 3:73 to a 4:10. Trust me !!!! I have owned my car for 11 years and its one thing i will never do again.:up: You will still get good gas mileage as well and a alittle quicker accel from a stop.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Auto with a 3.73 make e30s into slugmobile pooterscooters

I switched mine out to a 3.73 when I rebuilt my rear suspension cause I was there anyway and a 5-speed swap was gonna happen the next month. Gas milage was worth it, but oh my gawsh... So slow :down:

Comment

My 88 325 had a 2.93 open with a auto. I got amazing gas milage but it was a slug. I now have a 3.73 with is alot better but I will be swapping for a 4.10 eventually

Comment

Originally posted by QUKBMER View Post
            My 91 325is is a semiauto w/4:10 lsd. I switched it out for shit's and giggles to see what it would run like with a 3:73 lsd for fuel mileage. About 500 to 600 rpm lower difference when i was driving at 70mph and shitty accel from a stop. It was even more slower than the 4:10. If you can get a 4:10 lsd ,switch out the 3:73 to a 4:10. Trust me !!!! I have owned my car for 11 years and its one thing i will never do again.:up: You will still get good gas mileage as well and a alittle quicker accel from a stop.
            how much mpg did you gain?

Comment

You don't gain gas milage going from 3.73 to 4.10

When I still had my auto 4.10; I was hitting 17-19mpg
              Auto 3.73; I hit 19-21mpgs
              Manual 3.73; I'm hitting 24-25

If your really looking to gain MPGs: 5-speed swap it.

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
                You don't gain gas milage going from 3.73 to 4.10

When I still had my auto 4.10; I was hitting 17-19mpg
                Auto 3.73; I hit 19-21mpgs
                Manual 3.73; I'm hitting 24-25

If your really looking to gain MPGs: 5-speed swap it.
                i mean was it measurably slower? I hear that canadian IS's came with 3.73 LSD standard throughout all the years even if auto. yet their 0-60 is the same as with 4.10

Comment

Yes; you will feel a difference: as for cold statistics, I have no idea, but you will be able to tell something's fishy

As for stress..? I doubt It would. I know people running 2.93s with a 5 speed and that's a way low final gear
                  Last edited by JinormusJ; 08-15-2012, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X