No announcement yet.

School me on E46's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's not forget about the junky e46 window motors, 100k mile cam sensors, problematic crankcase vent valves, and demonically possesed HVAC fan speed controllers.

Comment

Weight of the E39 vs. the E46 is practically the same. Roughly a fat passenger extra in the E39.

I helped a friend build a 530iT. Brilliant car. The thing to remember is that a high mile E39 has even more suspension parts that want replacing than an E46. The good news is that they don't rip out subframe mounts that I'm aware of. The bad news is that they trash basically, well, all of the bushings. E46es tend to have relatively good suspension wear aside from front control arms/bushings and rear trailing arm bushings.

Three things to remember about the M54B30:
      1) There is a NASTY crank harmonic that will tear the oil pump apart if you track it hard enough. It will pretty much never be an issue for a street car, but it's something to be aware of if you are buying with other plans. (Not likely when you're looking at an E39, I grant.)
      2) If it gets overheated, the warping head can tear the bolts out fo the block. Timeserts may or may not fix it.
      3) The oil filter housing may warp and start leaking. Unfortunately, the torque setting is something like 22Nm for the mounting bolts and overtorquing even slightly runs a real risk of ripping the threads out fo the Al block. The oil loss is pretty staggering when the housing warps, unfortunately.
      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
        Let's not forget about the junky e46 window motors, 100k mile cam sensors, problematic crankcase vent valves, and demonically possesed HVAC fan speed controllers.
        Window regs go out on both 3s and 5s. CPS and FSR (fan controller) are a relatively easy and cheap fix; I wouldn't not buy a car just because of that. The CCV is a bit of a pain though.

Comment

I've owned an E46 before. Besides maintenance and reliability it's a great car for what it is. That is, a good comfortable normal daily driver car for most people that has a more sporty feel that your typical sedan. Looks good too.

But that being said it has a huge list of "problems" as mentioned above.

I went from an E46 to an E30 and fell in love with the E30 and would never go back. E30 is way more fun to drive and has more of a "go kart feel". E30 is way more simple mechanically and has no real "problems". The E30 drivetrain and most parts and bushings on it in general last very long. The same cannot be said for the E46. The E30 was build to last and in turn give BMW a good reputation. The E46 was built just to sell without regard for BMW reputation in the long term. It was made to last through the warranty period and no longer.
          Problems in quotations because "problems" to me means something that was poorly designed from the factory that wears out or breaks prematurely; as in way faster or more often than it does in other cars.
          Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

OP, my opinion on the matter is that if you get any E46, you must get an 04-06 ZHP package coupe or sedan.

They are the poor man's M3 of the E46 cars. My father owned a ZHP sedan for 5 years and it was the most reliable, fun, and economical car I've ever seen. With a 6 speed, sports suspension, better tune and camshafts over non-ZHPs, 3.07 vs. 2.93 rear end, MTech bodywork, Xenons, Harmon Kardon sound system, black headliner, alcantara bits, sport seats... the list goes on and on.. it's way more than just another sport-package 3-series. It's a solid, quick ride that can return 30 highway MPG, and with all the modern amenities you could ask for and none that you wouldn't want.

Most will have around 100K miles at this point and can be found hovering around $10K. Maintenance at that mileage includes shock mounts, bushings, and cooling system. They are scarce among the hoards of 330i's but not rare, so you can and will have your pick of the litter. Check for subframe damage, VANOS rattle, maintenance records, overall fit/finish/cleanliness. I guarantee you wouldn't regret owning one.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
              Window regs go out on both 3s and 5s. CPS and FSR (fan controller) are a relatively easy and cheap fix; I wouldn't not buy a car just because of that. The CCV is a bit of a pain though.
              I agree somewhat, however depending on the OP's budget and willingness to work on his own vehicle something simple like a $135 window regulator/motor assy. + labor could be a PITA.

Comment

If you don't want to work on your own car, you won't have an E30. ;)

Comment

I've owned a 99 328 since 06, and have had my ups and downs with the car. It's a manual trans and it's yet to just decide to rip its subframe out yet, I think that is an overblown problem, certianly inspect or have it inspected before purchase. Absolutely get a manual, and plan to be working on your car no matter how well the seller says it was maintained. Simple mods such as a short shift kit, and bilsteins really help it feel a lot better. It is a well balanced daily driver that is down for spirited runs whenever you are. My advice as a long time e46 owner....have a toyota/honda/etc backup car for when something breaks....
                  I don't think your mom appreciates the value of those modifications

Comment

I have an e46 m3. Honestly what i'd mainly look for is the paint and interior. Make sure its been maintained, don't get trashy shit. Pay a little extra for something good, you won't regret it. I'd want a 4 door zhp 6mt one day :)

Comment

I've had my e46 since brand new. 3 miles on the odo when I got it, it's now got about 67k. It's a 2002 330Ci. The main things that have gone wrong on my car so far are: sun roof cassette (fixed under warranty), both door seals, both wind regulators. I've pretty much done all of the maintenance on it my self. Done the cooling system (minus the radiator; that's next). Regular oil changes every 5-7k miles. Replaced the tranny and diff oils twice. Change out the brake fluid yearly.

The car is definitely not stock. I've got the ESS TS2+ supercharger in it with fi cams. Headers, race cats and full exhaust. Coilovers and Brembos. I've done about 200 laps on the Nürburgring and plenty of autobahn time. I don't have the subframe problem yet, but I'm pretty sure my days are numbered. When it happens, I'm going to try to do most of the work myself to save some cash.

Overall, the e46 has been very good to me. Oh yeah, I special ordered mine back in 2001 with the M Sportpaket II. It has all the goodies that came to the states later in the ZHP package. I just didn't get the 6 speed tranny. :(

But I do agree that the e30 is more fun to drive and a hell of alot easier to work on. If I ever ran into money probs, I'd sell the e46 before the e30.

Nürburgring info

Comment

Working...
                      X