X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 windshield replacement - I just got jobbed

Sorry guys just have to vent here -

Background:

Had a large crack in my windshield that I finally decided to do something about and getting the car painted shortly. Wanted it done right so called around and talked to a few places. Most offered mobile service.

One guy told me he's being doing this for 20+ years and uses USA made glass. Didn't have 'german OEM' but told me the US stuff was better anyway. Also I needed to be careful about getting Chinese made glass. Sounded all good.

Schedule the install for this morning - drive the car to work they meet me, install in ~40mins while I'm in a meeting, call me to say it's done come out and see it. The installer guy is super nice (different than they guy I talked to on the phone). Anyway I sign the paperwork give him the money and he drives away. I inspect my new windshield a little more carefully and notice that the brand is FY - CHINESE GLASS!!!! WTF???

I was outright lied to. Call them back, this time a lady answers and apologizes but doesn't offer anything. I say whatever I don't like to complain but you lied to me. Then told her fine, I'll drive it and if it cracks in a year I'll just have it replaced by someone else.

Basically I want to take a baseball bat to the windshield and call someone else to come replace it.

Why is honest customer service so hard to find these days?
    Last edited by canuck; 10-02-2012, 01:31 PM.

In these days of business transactions, get everything in writing before you have the work done. Sorry you got ripped off.

Comment

Why would you not just have them replace it. If they told me I wasnt getting chinese glass and then went and install chinese glass I would be on their ass until they do something about it
      Originally posted by blunttech
      Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
      :shock:

Comment

next time go to the junkyard... pull a clean windshield then install it yourself. it is the easiest thing. i would have done it for you

Comment

Any chance you own an e90? Sound just like those whiners over on that e90 m3 forum i joined.
          ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
          ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
          ~ '87 535
          ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
          ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by f34r View Post
            any chance you own an e90? Sound just like those whiners over on that e90 m3 forum i joined.
            lol!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stve30 View Post
              next time go to the junkyard... pull a clean windshield then install it yourself. it is the easiest thing. i would have done it for you
              Why pull an old used one? When a new USA made one cost around $100 new anyways...

1992 BMW 325iC
              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                Why pull an old used one? When a new USA made one cost around $100 new anyways...

this!!! i have a brand new american made glass that cost me 90 bucks installed ":D

Comment

Why not just drive it with the glass in and stop complaining like a bish. I bet it lasts fine. What's the warranty? Why didn't you insist on talking to the guy who "lied" to you?
                  Yours truly,
                  Rich
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by Rigmaster
                  you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

return it
                    "I wanna see da boat movie"
                    "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

I can understand if the class has blurry spots (I've noticed this in a Chrysler 300 once) or has different tint to it...then I might have them change it out. Unless you have an M3, the glass isn't bonded or anything so changing it shouldn't be hard though. Since they did lie to you, I would go down there and complain. You should get some kind of discount.
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

All valid and good opinions and I can see that it sounds whinie - just not fun being lied to

yes the fact is the glass may be just fine and last 10 years

the point is really that the guy went out of his way to point out that they use USA glass and then delivered something completely different

I won't use this forum to vent anymore

Comment

Instead of venting why don't you talk to the guy that lied ?
                          1987 325ic
                          2001 996tt
                          2000 996c2 vert
                          2008 b7 s4
                          2008 ml550

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                            Why pull an old used one?
                            I'd rather have a good condition OEM one even if it costs more.

And OP, why whine here? Go to the place and complain. Don't ask for a discount, say you paid for American glass and that's the only thing you'll be happy with. Make them make it right.
                            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                              I'd rather have a good condition OEM one even if it costs more.
                              Yep, nothing beats 20 year old used glass!!!

1992 BMW 325iC
                              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Working...
                              X