Subaru Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subaru Options

So im in the market for a new vehicle and came across a Subaru 2005 outback. Ive never owned one but have heard mixed reviews. Anybody have and experience with these? Any input is appreciated, thanks!

What about it? Subarus are all pretty much the same. Impreza, Legacy, Forester? Probably all gonna be boring cars but they're amazing in snow. I haven't heard anything bad about that specific year though.
    sigpic

Comment

Most of the new ones have shitty 4 spd auto boxes so try to get a manual.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

Actually the Subaru 4spd Auto is basicaly the same one that Moses brought down off Mt Fuji. Quite a good and durable tranny, just know overdrive.

The Forester is Built off the Impreza platform and the Outback is another platform

The Outback suffered some front suspension issues in the lastest generation, but that has been resovled.

I not much on Ricers but Subaru is the one exception. They are great vehicles. My wife had an 84 GL wagon when we got married, and I bought her a 2011 Forester X 1 1/2 years ago.

Probably not going to find good information on a e30 for Subarus. Try the sites. You will find the Good and Bad.

www.nasioc.com/

www.subaruoutback.org

www.subaruforester.org/
        sigpic
        2006 330i 6 Spd Man, ZSP, CA, SG, Black ette, Burl, Sat Prep.
        ED 29 May 2006
        1990 325i, 5spd, Calypso Red, Tan

Comment

it's a solid car. boring as hell, slow, and built pretty cheaply, but overall a pretty solid, reliable family type car.

I'd kill myself if ours was an autobox though. the 5 speed is the only part that doesn't make it a total snooze-fest. finding a 5-speed was really difficult, but they're out there..
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

One of my buddies works on tons of subarus at his shop. It seems as though there were some years that had issues with head gaskets. I know he's had to replace tons of them. Other than that, he says they're awesome cars. There are tons of them in Utah. They're one of the biggest selling cars around here because of the snow and all of the people that love to go skiing and boarding. THey make you feel invincible in the snow.
            There are a few of them around here that are lowered and have nice aftermarket wheels. They look awesome like that. I know some people trip out about it, but they still do awesome in the snow, have decent power and torque, they're reliable, and we've seen them with over 300k on the stock engine.
            I'd skip over an automatic though. Not that there are problems with them, they're just boring as hell to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by UNCL3AN1 View Post
              One of my buddies works on tons of subarus at his shop. It seems as though there were some years that had issues with head gaskets. I know he's had to replace tons of them. Other than that, he says they're awesome cars. There are tons of them in Utah. They're one of the biggest selling cars around here because of the snow and all of the people that love to go skiing and boarding. THey make you feel invincible in the snow.
              There are a few of them around here that are lowered and have nice aftermarket wheels. They look awesome like that. I know some people trip out about it, but they still do awesome in the snow, have decent power and torque, they're reliable, and we've seen them with over 300k on the stock engine.
              I'd skip over an automatic though. Not that there are problems with them, they're just boring as hell to drive.
              If it's not an STi (flagship model) the headgasket will have to be done around 110k. I always replace the head gaskets with STi ones for two reasons, 1) bump in compression because it's thicker than the regular HG and 2) they are built 100% better than any other models.

As far as 'lowering' Subaru's and people 'tripping out' over it, those people are generally the ones that understand suspension geometry. Subaru's are not designed to be slammed. They sit on McPhearson struts and when you slam your Subaru you loose all function of the car, reduce contact surface with the road due to negative camber and increase bump street tenfold.

MT>AT all day. I've never heard of any issues with the '05 Outbacks. If you want to have a good time and want space- get an Outback XT or Forester XT. Those trim models have the STi motor in them.

Comment

Get a pre purchase inspection on whatever one you get whether it's a turbo model or not but especially if it has a turbo. Try and find a one owner non leased car with history from the dealer or an awesome independent Subaru shop. 30-60-90-120k services are important as well as a regular oil change interval schedule. The boxer motors like to eat the oil. I see both the turbo and non turbo cars come in with 2 or 3 quarts in the motor on a 4+ capacity 4 cylinder. So changing and checking the oil often is a good idea. That reminds me I need to change the oil on my Legacy.

Comment

Most Subarus in general are pretty good cars. I have yet to hear anything bad about them. My stepmom just picked one up and she loves it.
                  1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
                  2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
                  2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Are leaking head gaskets a factory option from Subaru, or just an add on by the dealer?
                    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by Tanktheory View Post

As far as 'lowering' Subaru's and people 'tripping out' over it, those people are generally the ones that understand suspension geometry. Subaru's are not designed to be slammed. They sit on McPhearson struts and when you slam your Subaru you loose all function of the car, reduce contact surface with the road due to negative camber and increase bump street tenfold.

Yeah, I understand the whole suspension mumbo jumbo. I just didn't know if the person asking about subarus is actually looking into keeping it stock or not. I also know there are a lot of guys on here that have slammed bimmers because they like the look of it more than they like the function.
                      You don't necessarily lose all function of the car just by "slamming" it. You do lose a lot of its capabilities as far as off-roading and driving it in the snow.
                      I guess i was talking more about lowering the car than slamming it. Legacy springs and shocks, and taking out the body spacers would be about as low as I'd ever go with an outback.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                        Are leaking head gaskets a factory option from Subaru, or just an add on by the dealer?
                        It was a standard option on the 1998 impreza with the 2.5 liter DOHC motor. And the Subaru forester from 98 to 2002. After that Subaru fixed the issues imo. What model of outback is it? More specifics?

To the OP. I have owned 5+ Subaru's and they have all been great cars. Reliable and great in inclement weather. Easy to work on. And they are like lego's. Lots of parts cross between the different platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanktheory View Post
                          If it's not an STi (flagship model) the headgasket will have to be done around 110k. I always replace the head gaskets with STi ones for two reasons, 1) bump in compression because it's thicker than the regular HG and 2) they are built 100% better than any other models.

MT>AT all day. I've never heard of any issues with the '05 Outbacks. If you want to have a good time and want space- get an Outback XT or Forester XT. Those trim models have the STi motor in them.
                          Just pointing out that I'm pretty sure you have that backwards, you'll be LOSING compression by using a thicker headgasket. Aside from that it's good to know there is a solution to the headgasket thing I've been warned about as I really want a WRX Impreza
                          1990 332i, 4 door
                          2008 KTM 990 Superduke
                          2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
                          2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
                          2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

Originally posted by Varinn View Post
                            Just pointing out that I'm pretty sure you have that backwards, you'll be LOSING compression by using a thicker headgasket. Aside from that it's good to know there is a solution to the headgasket thing I've been warned about as I really want a WRX Impreza
                            WRX's don't have the head gasket problem only the NA engines.

Comment

That's even better! what sort of issues typically comes up on an early 2000's WRX? I truly am Subaru ignorant, and just have a liking for the look/sound of them
                              1990 332i, 4 door
                              2008 KTM 990 Superduke
                              2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
                              2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
                              2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

Working...
                              X