Turbocharging your car in the 1940's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbocharging your car in the 1940's!

Seen this and thought i'd share. I thought it was pretty cool.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

That seems really advanced for the time.
    Originally posted by LJ851
    I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Those were the good old days......forged gas coupons.....lonely dames everywhere. I went to the salt flats in 1944...had it all to myself.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by JinormusJ
      Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
      1989 325is Raged on then sold.
      1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
      1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
      1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

very cool. At the ring this last summer, they had an oldtimer race, and there were a bunch of odd V8 1930s cars with original superchargers on em.

like this thing here running off the crank infront of the motor. crazy stuff.

Comment

Some more info on Besasie and this turbo from the Milwaukee Journal Dec 17, 1944:

6.5 psi, torque increased from 169 to 200, horsepower increased by 48%. I love the way the turbo sits in the horizontal plane.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by JinormusJ
          Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
          1989 325is Raged on then sold.
          1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
          1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
          1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Mike- that is a blower Bentley. 4.5 litres 4 cylinder. They only made 50 and despite the bump in hp, they never achieved the success in racing like the 3 litres or the 6.5 litre 6 cylinder models.

Comment

And if you want to see early turbo motors, look up areo motors from Rolls Royce, Merlin and others. I believe they started using them in the early teens.

Comment

I've never worked on a early turbocharged car but here is a supercharger from a Bugatti Type 57.

Comment

like this thing here
                  yeah, none of us have ever seen anything like that... :shrug

Forced induction started about 15 years after internal combustion.
                  Took computers to really make it work right, though.

Except on airplanes and diesels, where you could have a supercharger AND a turbo...

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

wow thats really cool.

Comment

ignorant ray besasie

Comment

^Ahaha Love it..

Good read and sweet pics.

Comment

Piece of history right there, to be able to tune your car back in that day must have been something else!

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
                          Originally posted by scabzzzz
                          I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
                          1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
                          2002 325i - DD
                          2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                            yeah, none of us have ever seen anything like that... :shrug
                            sorry smart guy, didn't realize all of the 18y/o R3V kiddies have seen so many Bugattis and such with superchargers hanging out the front of the car. Here in Europe, unlike in Seattle those cars aren't driven around all day. I'm in my mid 30s and have never seen anything like that before, and thought it was pretty interesting, so EAD.

Comment

Chill Mike. There is a good many of these cars in the Pacific Northwest including 6 in my shop so there are seen occasionally.

Comment

Working...
                              X