Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R3v'd by a Nissan Cube. How borked is my E30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R3v'd by a Nissan Cube. How borked is my E30?

On my way home from work last night i was rear ended by a Harry Potter look alike who claimed a spider landed on his dashboard and distracted him.

I was rolling slowly when he hit me. It was a pretty bad shunt. Anyways heres pics. The bumper shock got pushed into the battery box. The quarter panel has a lump right above the wheel well now.

I really love this car . Its got 262,xxx on it , little rust (trunklid and rocker only places) . Whats the possibility its Totaled? :/

Thanks.
    1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
    1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
    1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
    1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

thats fucking shitty, there is good news and bad news i would say. The good news being its not totaled, you will be fine. My quarter panel is smashed to shit and been in far worst than that and is still running great, the bad news is that the insurance will give you money im sure for the accident, but not nearly enough to fix the quarter panel, which is why I haven't fixed mine yet. Its not something that is fixed in a day. If your lucky the insurance will call it totaled but it doesnt look like it, hope it works out for you.
    sigpic

Comment

You need to be careful with the insurance company totaling the car though because that also means the title changes to a salvage I believe. If you can get the damage fixed, I think you can have the car inspected and remove the salvage title. But that also means it would have to pass the inspection, so...maybe plan on keeping the car for yourself and none of it matters.
      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

holy trunk! how the fuck!?!
        -His-
        87 e30 325i
        87 e24 m6
        05 e83 x3
        94 e32 740i 5spd
        -Hers-
        89 e30 325i
        18 f48 x1

Comment

Probably totaled. My car had similar damage in the same place, and it was totaled. You might be able to avoid it getting totaled though, but I'm not sure how you would if you want insurance to pay for the damages.

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
          You need to be careful with the insurance company totaling the car though because that also means the title changes to a salvage I believe. If you can get the damage fixed, I think you can have the car inspected and remove the salvage title. But that also means it would have to pass the inspection, so...maybe plan on keeping the car for yourself and none of it matters.
          Not quite. You have to get it inspected to be able to put it back on the road. The car will keep its salvage title forever, unless some shady shit goes down.

Comment

That doesn't look all too terrible. Is the bumper shock mounting point badly pushed in, or is it mainly that the shock is compressed? Assuming that insurance totals it, if you want to keep your car (with a clean title), you can request to insurance that you take it to your own shop. Find a shop that'll do it cheap enough to not be totaled. Then take the check and your clean title and decide if it's worth fixing to you, or if you'd rather live with it and keep the money.
            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by hendrixvodu View Post
              holy trunk! how the fuck!?!
              Yea i know right? No other rust except for where
              The tow hook mounts, a small hole in the rocker panel
              And THAT. Its Really strange. Its rotted through. My 325e had terrible
              Rot throughout the car but the trunk is perfect

Well i know of a couple of good body shops around here. But im still waiting on the police report . The RI state police uses getcrashreports which fucking sucks.

The shock compressed then kept going. There was some rust near where the tow hook mounted and it kinda spread upwards to the bumper shockish area . You can look under the car and see where it failed. Ill get pics tomarrow.

I dont plan on paying anything, ill fight it . I want it fixed, i was planning on keeping this car forever. Ive got over $1500 in receipts plus what i payed for it.

Rest of car
              1985 325e M50TU(Sold)

Comment

I believe it's near totaled. You have an argument ahead of you.
                I'm looking closer and it doesn't look like just your bumper was pushed...
                Your trunk doesn't align anymore at the corner where it's flared upwards protruding past the tail-light.
                Below your gas-cap it's buckled inward on the quarter.

Insurance figures that if your cost of repair is 75% of the car's value = total, right?
                Or some other number.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Truthfully, it's totaled, just went through this, same exact spot, totaled it out at 5knin repairs, because the rear quarter is buckled it's a ton of work, if battery moved there's a rail buckled, hate to say it, but start shopping, or buy it back and fix it

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
                  Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                    I believe it's near totaled. You have an argument ahead of you.
                    I'm looking closer and it doesn't look like just your bumper was pushed...
                    Your trunk doesn't align anymore at the corner where it's flared upwards protruding past the tail-light.
                    Below your gas-cap it's buckled inward on the quarter.

Insurance figures that if your cost of repair is 75% of the car's value = total, right?
                    Or some other number.
                    I agree fully. I know i have a fight and im dreading it. I cant find an e30 for
                    Anywhere near what i will get for it.

I know insurance will just say its a 22 year old car with 262 thousand miles.

If it helps at all the alingment of the trunklid was allready fucked due to the severe rust on the lid. Pre-accident pic.

1985 325e M50TU(Sold)

Comment

If it's anything that required metal work, it's totaled.

Fuck insurance companies. We pay them thousands just to say, "HEY FUCK YOU BUDDY!"
                      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
                        I agree fully. I know i have a fight and im dreading it. I cant find an e30 for
                        Anywhere near what i will get for it.

I know insurance will just say its a 22 year old car with 262 thousand miles.

If it helps at all the alingment of the trunklid was allready fucked due to the severe rust on the lid. Pre-accident pic.

Sue the person that hit you?

Comment

Did I mention you may have neck and back pain that affect the quality of your life?

Yeah.

Run with it.
                          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

^ Someone hit my mom, actually GAVE her neck and back pain that affected her, and she was denied pretty much any compensation because of people doing that. She had to be extra careful not to "act" okay for years because the insurance company was so skeptical, despite the doctors' reports. So don't do that please.
                            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                              If it's anything that required metal work, it's totaled.
                              Someone backed into my E30 last year, denting the quarter panel. It wasn't totaled, as it was a straight pull and respray job. It was right on the cusp of being totaled, though.

This requires a bit more work, and will require showing values of similar condition E30s to bump the total value up.

Originally posted by whysimon
                              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                              X