Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winterization

Its that time of year...
    Car will be put away for the winter soon, so I figured I'd get some input from you guys.
    Things to know:
    Car will be outside, under a cover
    I cant justify $100/month for storage when I only paid $700 for the car to begin with.

-Tires & Wheels... I have brand new Yoko's, should I source a cheap ass set of bent/ugly bottle caps with shoddy tires to sit on for the winter?
    -Tarp under the car to keep condensation from rising up from the ground?
    -Plastic bag the brake rotors?
    -Fuel Stabilizer?(Full tank of gas)
    -Park without parking brake on?
    -Change engine oil one last time? Oil currently in there has 1000 miles of "easy" driving.
    -Check coolant to make sure block wont freeze and crack..(Could be a good excuse for an s50 swap) ;)

Any other thoughts on what I should do? Should I cover the top of the car, with a tarp OVER the car cover?

Thanks guys,
    Chris
    Below the radar...

is it going to be in the driveway?
    personally i would leave it in neural and either use the e-brake or put chocks behind the tires.
    if u have money to spend then buy some bottlecaps to have it sit on
    give it a nice wash with a full underbody spray
    i would set it on a tarp and then put a tarp over the cover as well
    good luck

-adam

Comment

I would rent it out to an ice racer for the season... that way it gets stretched out
      Im using mine for ice racing this year.
      already got the new Blizzaks
      BattleWagon|1996 GT Vertigo

Comment

Get something for the inside of the car to take any moisture out of the air. G.I. Joes sells various ones used in motor homes. You will be amased at the end of winter how much water will be in the little collecting dish of one of those things.

Andrew

Comment

I would chalk the tires, and not use the parking break. Last thing you need is a rusted welded PB pad to your rear rotor housing. I also wouldnt put a tarp over the car, but under is fine. A can of Sta-Bil should work great for your gas tank, and keep it from breaking down over the winter. As for the oil, after 1k, I wouldnt think that it would be a huge problem, but if you want the piece of mind, do it up. Only other thing I can think of is a good wash and wax, and I would go for a shitty set of tires if you can find them. You could also pit your car on blocks, and store the rims and tires somewhere else (your basement?). Also, disconnect the battery terminals, and store the battery in a warm place, otherwise, you are going to need a new one come spring. Thats all I can think of for now.

Will

Comment

What about for winters like in NC that aren't bad? Is it detrimental to leave an expensive set of tires on the car? What about parking an automatic car, neutral or park?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

what do you guys think about storing a car on jack stands for a long period of time?
              good idea?
              bad idea?
              I know a guy that winterizes his car by placing two jackstands under the front and rear subframes
              he's been doing this for over 15 years with no problems.
              Its a 69 GTO, if that makes any difference

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                What about for winters like in NC that aren't bad? Is it detrimental to leave an expensive set of tires on the car? What about parking an automatic car, neutral or park?
                just leave it in park
                leaving an automatic in park for a long period of time (as long as its on flat ground) is perfectly fine

Comment

Isn't the point of taking your tires off to not flatspot them? That's what I'm guessing, I have no winter.

Comment

808, thats one reason, the other is to keep them from weather-lining (or whatever it is that its called). Its when the shoulders of the tires get a lot of small cracks/seams in them, not so good if you drive the car hard.

Will

Comment

Seems like alot of hassle. What about a cheap shed? It would get rid of having to use a floor and cover and stuff, you could leave it on jackstands in there. Plus you could probably put a whole bunch of moisture absorbing stuff in there and keep your car real dry.

What do I know, my winter's hang at about 90 degrees all day :P

Comment

TJ your tires will be fine man, the winters down here are a joke. Wait, are you planning on parking it for the whole winter??? If so, why?

Comment

Originally posted by SickE30
                          TJ your tires will be fine man, the winters down here are a joke. Wait, are you planning on parking it for the whole winter??? If so, why?
                          No, it won't be parked the whole winter, but it will never be driven when there is snow on the ground.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Originally posted by SickE30
                            No, it won't be parked the whole winter, but it will never be driven when there is snow on the ground.
                            You live in FL.... Why would your car be in NC for winter?
                            Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL
                              You live in FL.... Why would your car be in NC for winter?
                              I'm trying to transfer to school in NC,

RISING EDGE

Comment

Working...
                              X