Dont know which route to go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont know which route to go?

I have a '88 325i vert, auto w/ 117k miles.

I cant decide if I should turbo the m20, swap to a S5x or M6x.

I talked to my mechanic and he said that he'll do whatever I chose for $1k for labor and some beers but I will have to purchase everything ready for the swap. Whatever I choose Im swapping to 5spd. For the time being this will be my daily driver I would say till Oct 2013. So I need something reliable.

1) Turbo the m20. I think 400hp my max I would go. My brother's best friend tune cars so he'll do it for free. I never had a turbo car so everything will be new to me.

2) S5x swap would be the easiest from what I have read and I know the engine will last forever if well maintained.

3) This would be the hardest of the 3 options because of the brake booster issue. If I go this route I would have to figure it out perfectly for my mechanic.

From what I have researched the cost out of the would be similar in some way.

What would you guys recommend?
    Turbo M20
    28.95%
    S5x swap
    60.53%
    M6x swap
    10.53%

for a $1k labor budget and DD reliability, S52 swap no questions asked.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

budget, turbo and reliable doesn't go well together.

Altho' that is a low hp number but IMO you're better off with a S50 and when you have the money turbo that.

edit: just noticed that you actually don't have a budget listed for the parts only labor.. how much you planning to spend?
      Last edited by Xat1cZ; 12-24-2012, 11:49 AM.
      ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)Be Afraid Of The Future

Comment

Sorry for the confusion my budget is around $3k + $1k + beers for my mechanic.

Comment

s50 + get the rest of the car sorted if there's anything that needs it.. then in a few years

turbohhh

Comment

But that's just if you need more power NOW... you can build a 1000hp M20 if you want.. that just takes more money ;)

edit: M30 is a nice choice too just throwing it out there, takes boost really good for cheap too ;)

Comment

I am thinking s50 and turbo later also. You should be pretty happy with the s50 swap. Drive one or ride in one - plus, its an easy engine to maintain.

Comment

if a brake booster is a problem, how do you plan on fabricating an exhaust and of the other nec. thing for a turbo motor.

I think you are in over your head....., but if you do it, the S50 route will be cheaper and simple- compared to a turbo motor.

Comment

I have always been, and will always continue to be a pa
                  Roponent of s5x swaps.

Reliability: The engines last forever
                  Power: Decent, 300hp is all you need if you go s54; 1.22:10 HP to weight ratio is actually pretty decent for a car with such a short wheelbase
                  Budget: Usually can be done within the proposed budget

Turbos are nutorious for costing you much more in the long run, (double your budget, expect it to take longer than expected, blahblahblah). Turbo cars are hilariously fun, but for your budget, I would just say slap an s52 in that puppy and call it a day. Turbo s52 is always an option later down the road, and it'll be more reliable and be able to boost more power than the stock m20

Comment

Id do M52 and turbo later .... M52s are dirt cheap and an NA M52 makes a nice driver
                    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

i can attest to this. m50s are reaaal nice. 0-60 was about 7 sec which was not bad... and i've been building my turbo for it for 9 months now...

Comment

I love the m20 turbo more but a s52 is within your budget. M20 turbo and proper management will run you over 3k easy.

S52 all the way(I clicked m20 turbo in the poll).
                        ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                        ~ '87 535
                        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

you should ride in a turbo s5x e30 first...lol

i say s5x swap.. lol
                          -1986 S50Turbo Sedan (475WHP/417WTQ) Castromotorsport Built (Sold)
                          -1987 Coupe (17x10.5"/17x14")
                          Castromotorsport / Buddha_Concept_designs Built *UnderConstruction*

Follow me on Instagram: obes_sebo
                          For more updates:)
                          Purchase FeedBack http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=278838

Comment

If you're new and going to be gun-ho about it, do the 24v swap.
                            You can ruin the whole build with a turbo if something fails and you're not quick enough to notice

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                              If you're new and going to be gun-ho about it, do the 24v swap.
                              You can ruin the whole build with a turbo if something fails and you're not quick enough to notice
                              gun-ho haha +1
                              -1986 S50Turbo Sedan (475WHP/417WTQ) Castromotorsport Built (Sold)
                              -1987 Coupe (17x10.5"/17x14")
                              Castromotorsport / Buddha_Concept_designs Built *UnderConstruction*

Follow me on Instagram: obes_sebo
                              For more updates:)
                              Purchase FeedBack http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=278838

Comment

Working...
                              X