Mercedes as reliable daily driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercedes as reliable daily driver?

My dying eta needs to be retired for something reliable and comfortable. Are any of the Mercedes comparable to an e36, e34, etc, still reliable as daily drivers at this age? Something like these (note that I don't care about a daily having an automatic transmission):

I'm really liking that Kompressor, but it's pricey. I don't need anything exciting for a daily, but I don't want to get a boring econobox. Decided to look at something besides another BMW and the older Mercedes are looking mighty classy.

Or there's always a Honda...
    My Feedback

Merc 190E's are where it's at. They are pretty comparable to a e30 m3 supposedly. At least that's what I saw on an episode of a top gear like tv show.

Comment

That Prelude is sweet.
      For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
      Originally posted by mbonanni
      I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

I can't speak for the newerish stuff, but I have a 1980 300TD daily that has been a tank and is stupid comfy. Boring to drive though. Parts aren't as easy to get. There is no realoem type site for Mercedes, which can be a pain. Not as big of a following so not as much info out there. I feel like I see more old Mercedes on the road than old BMWs, so that should say something.
        Are Three Vee

Dad Spec

Comment

If your going to get a mb, get a diesel. Otherwise, if your considering paying upwards of $5k why not get an e34 e39 e36. Those mb's look horrible!
          I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
          Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

Originally posted by CrusherCurtis View Post
            If your going to get a mb, get a diesel. Otherwise, if your considering paying upwards of $5k why not get an e34 e39 e36. Those mb's look horrible!
            I just want to look at something different besides a BMW, which there aren't always a lot of around here for sale on CL. I like how the W202 looks, it's just a bit less boring than a Camry, but blends in better than a BMW.
            My Feedback

Comment

I'd say get a Merc C43 if you can't find a 190E Cosworth. The standard Mercs are not enjoyable at all IMO.

Comment

I don't see what could possees a young man to WANT to drive a w202. If your going to drive just the worlds most boring and bland car at least make FWD or AWD. You live in Michigan!

Imagine this w123 in diese thol. Decent

Comment

Have you looked for any older Volvo's? The 240's are pretty indestructable, and fairly comfortable.

Originally posted by Rowleym View Post
                  Merc 190E's are where it's at. They are pretty comparable to a e30 m3 supposedly. At least that's what I saw on an episode of a top gear like tv show.
                  That's the 190E Cosworth, effectively the M3 of 190E's.

If your going to drive just the worlds most boring and bland car at least make FWD or AWD. You live in Michigan
                  So? Tires make a bigger difference than drivetrain. At least RWD would make a bland car mildly entertaining a couple months out of the year.

Although we still have yet to get any decent amount of snow down here :(

Comment

Get the prelude. Honda makes good cars and easy to work on like a m20.

Comment

I dd a 190e 2.6 & I think it makes a great daily driver. It's quiet, comfy, reliable & somewhat engaging (granted mine's a 5 speed).

Comment

Originally posted by Nsquared97 View Post
                        So? Tires make a bigger difference than drivetrain. At least RWD would make a bland car mildly entertaining a couple months out of the year.
                        (
                        I don't buy this for one second. I drove an e34 touring one winter and got stuck like hell. The next winter I drove an e36 with dunlap m3 winter tires and got stuck like hell and blew my diff. The winter after I was in a Subaru that didn't get stuck and now I'm in wrangler. I will never drive Rwd in the winter again.

Comment

I don't buy this for one second. I drove an e34 touring one winter and got stuck like hell. The next winter I drove an e36 with dunlap m3 winter tires and got stuck like hell and blew my diff. The winter after I was in a Subaru that didn't get stuck and now I'm in wrangler. I will never drive Rwd in the winter again.
                          I spent last winter much further north and had no issues with my E30 whatsoever. Granted they get much less ice up there, but my car had 0 issues in the snow.

Comment

I have a 190E Cossie and although the U.S. version doesn't compare to the U.S. e30 M3 it is engaging to drive w/dogleg 5spd. Getrag, it's comfortable as a GT & a good look = a great daily driver IMHO. Just get a few upgrades like a 350mm steering wheel, upgrade the HU and speakers, some 17" wheels on 215/40's and you're golden!

There were a few MBZ variants I liked, '89 560 SEC, '92 400/500E, AMG C36 & C43, and '01 Kompressor 6-spd. If you're into Benz that is. My preference is VW/Audi ;)
                            Rich!

Comment

Originally posted by Rowleym View Post
                              is no one going to take care of this

Comment

Working...
                              X