Mercedes as reliable daily driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I just played this game so I could stop DDn my E30
    I bought a 97 C230. I like its its compy good on fuel.
    They are a way better car than the others you have listed.
    THe 190s are fun but the C230 is the replacement. So its like going from and E30 to an E36 but the newer car is a lil better.
    If you like the C class cars gets a late 96 or 97 year. They fixed a bunch of stuff.
    The 98 and laters are the face lift cars and had better electronic with the IR smart keys.
    Let me know if youd like to know more
    sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
    The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Originally posted by bmwguy325is View Post
      So I just played this game so I could stop DDn my E30
      I bought a 97 C230. I like its its compy good on fuel.
      They are a way better car than the others you have listed.
      THe 190s are fun but the C230 is the replacement. So its like going from and E30 to an E36 but the newer car is a lil better.
      If you like the C class cars gets a late 96 or 97 year. They fixed a bunch of stuff.
      The 98 and laters are the face lift cars and had better electronic with the IR smart keys.
      Let me know if youd like to know more
      Yeah, I've been reading that the later C230s had fewer problems with the transmission and the wiring. Overall the later w202 seems to be one of MB's more reputable chassis, and the 4 cylinder M111 doesn't have any major gasket problems or things like that to worry about. It's coming down to price and what there is locally that interests me. There's a nice e36 I also want to look at which is less money and a 5 speed. But if that Kompressor which I posted is a rock solid car then I might take a closer look at it. If I'm going to get an automatic then I want the transmission to be a very modern, trouble free unit and not something designed in the mid 80s. A modernish, dependable, safe, capable, max $4000ish German sedan that parts itself from the sea of Volkswagens and Japanese imports is what I'm looking for. Unfortunately there aren't any Volvo 240s around b/c I do like those, and any worthwhile Subaru is either beat or $8000.
      My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by bastianshaw View Post
        is no one going to take care of this
        Originally posted by Nsquared97 View Post
        That's the 190E Cosworth, effectively the M3 of 190E's.(
        Already did, but I decided to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowleym View Post
          Merc 190E's are where it's at. They are pretty comparable to a e30 m3 supposedly. At least that's what I saw on an episode of a top gear like tv show.

I'll take care of it. No, the Merc 190e is not where it's at, for many reasons. Assuming we are talking about the Cossie, the finicky injection system and relative rarity/price of parts make for a pretty poor daily driver. In addition, they are grossly underpowered(when compared to an E30 M3 or 325is) which make them less than joyous in traffic. The Cossie is much farther removed from its track variant than the M3, which makes the Cossie essentially an expensive cruiser in stock trim.

Make no mistake, they are cool in their own right, but you'd have to be a special kind of crazy to own one as a reliable daily driver.

Source: I've owned a Cossie, E30 M3, and 325is.
          sigpic
          "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Ha ha, well call me crazy... I agree, the U.S. version 190E-16 was not designed as a street track version like the M3. Mercedes refused to compromise on its luxury reputation, but the heart still beats within. It makes a good canvas and if maintained a hood daily driver. If you put the same money and effort into it as any run of the mill e30 it'll be worth it's weight... Convert it to EFI, upgrade suspension & shed weight wherever possible.

Whatever floats your boat, my 190E-16 beat 325is' all day even in automatic form. Or just man-up and buy an Audi turbo Quattro anything and call it a day... Easily upgradable and power put to all fours. There are 300awhp Ur-quattro's around still putting modern cars to shame.
            Rich!

Comment

Originally posted by shiftbmw View Post
              I'll take care of it. No, the Merc 190e is not where it's at, for many reasons. Assuming we are talking about the Cossie, the finicky injection system and relative rarity/price of parts make for a pretty poor daily driver. In addition, they are grossly underpowered(when compared to an E30 M3 or 325is) which make them less than joyous in traffic. The Cossie is much farther removed from its track variant than the M3, which makes the Cossie essentially an expensive cruiser in stock trim.

Make no mistake, they are cool in their own right, but you'd have to be a special kind of crazy to own one as a reliable daily driver.

Source: I've owned a Cossie, E30 M3, and 325is.
              Have you owned one? Or spent any time behind the wheel?

I daily drove one for 6 months and beat the living snot out of it. Through the dead of winter, in every single type of weather, rain, snow, or shine, it never once failed to start. The CIS system is not as finicky as internet folklore has everyone believing. The only ailment mine suffered from was a curiously high intermittent idle when hot. Oh yeah, the motor had 150K miles on it.

No offense to anyone on this board, but I've driven a variety of E30 M3s and several Cossies, and the Cossie is every bit as entertaining of a drive. It may not be faster in a straight line - although it's not very far off - but you could carry silly speeds into corners and the chassis would just shrug it off. The multi link rear suspension in the Cosworth is light years ahead of the E30 M3.

Now back to this thread... hell yes, MB's make reliable DDs. The W124 E class (1986 - 1995) is probably one of the best all around dailys if you prefer an automatic. Pre facelift 300Es (1989 and earlier) can be bought for pennies on the dollar and will rack up high 6 figure mileages without breaking a sweat. The tranny is the only real weak link, but even those are good for 200K+ miles if maintained properly. Later 1993+ cars with the M104 24 valve motor suffer from head gasket failure and wiring harness issues. Most have already been dealt with by this point, but just be careful. Spring for the V8 in the 400e or E420 and you get 7/10ths the 500e. I've been daily driving one for the past year now and I never tire of the tank like structure, the fantastic build quality, the minimalist dash design, the way the car oozes over bumps but still encourages you to play in the corners, and the awesome M119 V8 which sounds like a cross between Chevelle and an Italian V8 at WOT. While it's plenty quick out of the hole, you will be astonished by the 70 - 120MPH acceleration (and so will other drivers). Again, just make sure wiring harness issues have been dealt with.... head gaskets and timing chains rarely fail on the M119.

Good luck with your search.
              Mike

82 Alfa Spider (For Sale)
              86 944 Turbo
              87 CX25 TRD Turbo2
              89 405 Mi16
              89 Milano Verde
              89 Mondial t Coupe
              92 300D

Comment

I would go older than 1994 on the mercedes as their cars never got more bulletproof than the 80's and still have the classic style, reliability and feel than the c class and newer cars can't match.

Also take a look at Volvo especially the wagons both 240 and the roomier more up level 740. The cars are simpler and cheaper to maintain than a mbz and if you go for a turbo in good health they are faster than an e30 325is 5 speed even with an auto. The body lines and interior layout is very similar to an e30 so you will be right at home. Their seats are super comfy too. I have owned three and will never sell my current one. Own a good one and you will be inexplicably in love for life.

Comment

Just because this is a BMW site doesn't mean we can't keep it real. On the topic of the suggested Mercedes, the were regular panzers pre-1998. "But were they performance cars?" you ask... Not all of them but the history is so long it intrigued even Nikola Tesla... And Daimler-Benz has had selective entries just to prove they could. I've only owned my 80's 190E-16 & 560 but the build quality was intended to last generations. Electrical has always been a German cars weakness no matter the marque but we accept the flaws for the joy of driving them.
                  Like Mike said CIS albeit antiquated works well... After 7 years sitting outside my 190 started right up with fresh fuel and a new battery. Don't sleep, and when I'm done with my tranny swap and reinforcements if any e30 wants a 1/2-mi. shot bring your pink.
                  Rich!

Comment

Working...
                  X