Swap choices, S54, Euro S50, or something else?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mulletman
    replied
    Damn all of you people making me want an S54 in my car...

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    Originally posted by nando
    it does but it's like 20-30ft lbs. it's not like you're going from 240ft/lbs to 500 or something.
    I misunderstood what you said. I guess I have travish325 disease where reasoning goes straight out the door. Yes, there's not a huge jump in peak torque--22 ft-lbs at the crank. The extra revs and VE past 6000 gives the S54 the upper hand, though.

    Originally posted by JGood
    What 5 speed mates to the s54? ZF310? If so, I think a 2.93 or 3.25 would be good. I have similar RWHP and am using that trans, and traction isn't a huge issue with 235 street tires, so r-comps or some track-oriented tire would do fine.
    Yup. Any normal M/S5x swap trans.

    Leave a comment:


  • JGood
    replied
    What 5 speed mates to the s54? ZF310? If so, I think a 2.93 or 3.25 would be good. I have similar RWHP and am using that trans, and traction isn't a huge issue with 235 street tires, so r-comps or some track-oriented tire would do fine.

    Leave a comment:


  • evandael
    replied
    Originally posted by Asbradley21
    I'm not really sure, what I'm reading leads me to believe that with a 5-speed (what I probably will do) that the optimal gearing is 3.25

    try to find a whole z3m rear end, then. bigger CV's, bigger brakes, 5 lug, and a 3.23lsd with a fancy diff cover. :up:

    Leave a comment:


  • Asbradley21
    replied
    Originally posted by nando
    it does but it's like 20-30ft lbs. it's not like you're going from 240ft/lbs to 500 or something.

    I feel like ~300whp is a sweet spot for the E30 to keep it driveable and useable. 200whp or less just feels slow. :p
    Originally posted by Kovs
    I'll second that, 300HP is definitely NOT insane for these cars. In fact, you will get "used to" to the power and will be wanting more on the race track. My car is making 275WHP with a bored Euro S50 (3.2L) and I wouldn't mind another 50 - 75 on the straights. E30s have a significant aero disadvantage at triple digit speeds and will only walk E46 M3s up to 100 or so. You will get trounced by just about any other modern super car - 911 GT3s, 458s, Z06s, etc. Even in the corners, I *think* a properly set-up E30 could handle 375 - 400HP. The biggest limiting factor, IMO, would be tires which is where the flared fender M3 would really be a huge plus. You can run 275s in the rear on the M3. My 4 door with rolled fenders can only run 225/45/15 Hoosiers (and there is still some light rubbing). With the current power level I think the tires are fine, but the extra 50 - 75HP I'm craving would probably require some pricey body work to accommodate bigger rubber (or just accept the challenge of driving a high HP, under tired car).

    You can make some of that power up with a different gear ratio. Again, just my opinion, but the 3.46 seems just about optimal for the Euro S5X cars with the 5 speed. 6 speed cars could probably get away with a 3.64 or a 3.73 if you really like living in the red. Figure on a max speed of 130 with the latter.
    This hit the nail right on the head. I think the S54 really is the sweet spot for an e30. Probably even enough power it won't leave me wanting more. I'm not out to try and stomp modern supercars, as much fun as that would be, it still is just an e30, it has limits.

    Originally posted by pwagon717
    If I was going to do it all over again, I would do the S54 over the S52. I just completed the S52 in the M3, and have even driven it yet. But seeing all this info and the prices dropping on the S54, why not. I'm going to pull the swap probably next year to begin the process all over again. Next thing you know it, some will start dropping the newer Fseries motors in.
    More encouragement for me to do it right the first time.


    Originally posted by VinniE30
    E30 problems...
    BMW has so many good choices for engine swaps you can't decide on which one you want
    :D
    Oh the CHOICES.

    Originally posted by 89AlpineM3
    Heres one question if you swap in the S54 and keep the 6 speed. E46 M3 guys run 3.91 and 4.10 gears all the time. My old 2002 Dinan S2 M3 had 3.91 gears and it was great, why cant you run the same diff gearing in a swapped E30?
    I'm not really sure, what I'm reading leads me to believe that with a 5-speed (what I probably will do) that the optimal gearing is 3.25
    Originally posted by PeteD
    BeirBrenner runs a 6 speed with 3.91. He hasn't been around in a while, but I know that is his set up.
    I would like to see him chime in.

    Leave a comment:


  • PeteD
    replied
    Originally posted by 89AlpineM3
    Heres one question if you swap in the S54 and keep the 6 speed. E46 M3 guys run 3.91 and 4.10 gears all the time. My old 2002 Dinan S2 M3 had 3.91 gears and it was great, why cant you run the same diff gearing in a swapped E30?
    BeirBrenner runs a 6 speed with 3.91. He hasn't been around in a while, but I know that is his set up.

    Leave a comment:


  • R3Z3N
    replied
    Originally posted by VinniE30
    E30 problems...
    BMW has so many good choices for engine swaps you can't decide on which one you want
    :D
    Just avoid BMW V12s...

    Leave a comment:


  • PeteD
    replied
    Except for that time I got tunnel vision when he punched it and that was with a 2.93 diff. :p

    I like the S54. But I've never had the pleasure to know a euro spec motor. I do agree with Fred, the power becomes predictable (as with any car) and then 300 doesn't seem as crazy.


    Originally posted by FredK
    Torque monster? I think the S52 definitely has a lot of torque, but it's more noticeable since there is a broad peak. The S54 has more torque everywhere on the curve.

    300hp is not "insane", but you can get going pretty quickly. The power is very predictable and the car is easy to throttle steer.

    Leave a comment:


  • 325ix
    replied
    I would assume it causes traction issues.

    Leave a comment:


  • 89AlpineM3
    replied
    Heres one question if you swap in the S54 and keep the 6 speed. E46 M3 guys run 3.91 and 4.10 gears all the time. My old 2002 Dinan S2 M3 had 3.91 gears and it was great, why cant you run the same diff gearing in a swapped E30?

    Leave a comment:


  • LJ851
    replied
    Originally posted by vinnie30
    e30 problems...
    Bmw has so many good choices for engine swaps you can't decide on which one you want
    :d

    qft

    Leave a comment:


  • VinniE30
    replied
    E30 problems...
    BMW has so many good choices for engine swaps you can't decide on which one you want
    :D

    Leave a comment:


  • Kovs
    replied
    Originally posted by FredK
    Torque monster? I think the S52 definitely has a lot of torque, but it's more noticeable since there is a broad peak. The S54 has more torque everywhere on the curve.

    300hp is not "insane", but you can get going pretty quickly. The power is very predictable and the car is easy to throttle steer.
    I'll second that, 300HP is definitely NOT insane for these cars. In fact, you will get "used to" to the power and will be wanting more on the race track. My car is making 275WHP with a bored Euro S50 (3.2L) and I wouldn't mind another 50 - 75 on the straights. E30s have a significant aero disadvantage at triple digit speeds and will only walk E46 M3s up to 100 or so. You will get trounced by just about any other modern super car - 911 GT3s, 458s, Z06s, etc. Even in the corners, I *think* a properly set-up E30 could handle 375 - 400HP. The biggest limiting factor, IMO, would be tires which is where the flared fender M3 would really be a huge plus. You can run 275s in the rear on the M3. My 4 door with rolled fenders can only run 225/45/15 Hoosiers (and there is still some light rubbing). With the current power level I think the tires are fine, but the extra 50 - 75HP I'm craving would probably require some pricey body work to accommodate bigger rubber (or just accept the challenge of driving a high HP, under tired car).

    You can make some of that power up with a different gear ratio. Again, just my opinion, but the 3.46 seems just about optimal for the Euro S5X cars with the 5 speed. 6 speed cars could probably get away with a 3.64 or a 3.73 if you really like living in the red. Figure on a max speed of 130 with the latter.

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    Originally posted by FredK
    Torque monster? I think the S52 definitely has a lot of torque, but it's more noticeable since there is a broad peak. The S54 has more torque everywhere on the curve.

    300hp is not "insane", but you can get going pretty quickly. The power is very predictable and the car is easy to throttle steer.
    it does but it's like 20-30ft lbs. it's not like you're going from 240ft/lbs to 500 or something.

    I feel like ~300whp is a sweet spot for the E30 to keep it driveable and useable. 200whp or less just feels slow. :p

    Leave a comment:


  • pwagon717
    replied
    If I was going to do it all over again, I would do the S54 over the S52. I just completed the S52 in the M3, and have even driven it yet. But seeing all this info and the prices dropping on the S54, why not. I'm going to pull the swap probably next year to begin the process all over again. Next thing you know it, some will start dropping the newer Fseries motors in.

    Leave a comment:

Working...