Swap coupe or swap trans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swap coupe or swap trans?

Ok, I've read many threads about swapping out an auto trans for a manual in an e30. From what I have read, it is not a terribly difficult modification. Now, my question is, would it be less difficult to sell my auto and find a clean 5 speed? Not sure if I want to undertake the transmission swap with the amount of technical ability I have. The most technical challenge I have had thus far with the e30 is replacing the head gasket which was not much trouble. Please advise!!!! :drink:

Changing the head gasket is considerably more complex than swapping the trans. It really isn't difficult.
    BUT! If you're uncomfortable with it. The choice is yours really. It just boils down to how much you love your car vs a different E30.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by TurboJake View Post
      Changing the head gasket is considerably more complex than swapping the trans. It really isn't difficult.
      BUT! If you're uncomfortable with it. The choice is yours really. It just boils down to how much you love your car vs a different E30.
      How much I love this car? I must be a glutton for punishment! On the brightside, I have replaced so many damn parts over the past 2 years that there is very few parts left that can fail.

The thing is, I travel for work and use my car. I'm literally on the road 8-10 hours a day and this happens to be my mobile office. I want to do the trans swap, I just don't want to tear into it and discover its over my head.

Comment

Since the head gasket was no problem for you then according to Jakes assessment the tranny swap shouldnt be an issue for you as well.

My opinion would be sell and buy new but the only thing with that is if you sell and buy a different one you might end up with a pandora's box of issues that you wouldnt have come across with your current e30.

If you decide to swap, you either find it easy and complete it with virtually no down time or end up stuck with an undriveable car indefinitely. With the latter outcome and your job it may very well be more costly then selling and getting a new e30.
        SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
        IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
        BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

Do the swap! If you've done the HG without issue, the trans swap will be easy for you. I've found that if it turns out something is more difficult/involved than you originally thought, and you are forced to get it done like in your case, then you will get it done. And along the way you will actually learn some things.

That's basically how I taught myself to work on/fix cars... just dive in and if you get stuck on something, look to the forum or the Bentley for advice and then press on. If you have enough mechanical aptitude to do a proper HG job, then you can get yourself through a 5 speed swap.

Comment

Ok you guys talked me into it.

Now, some questions regarding my rear differential. Should I consider swapping the rear differential as well? I am currently running a 4.10 rear, I'm thinking it will rev pretty high at cruising speed. LMK what you guys suggest.

Comment

A 4:10 is a bit much for highway use it can be fun around town though
              Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
              Bimmerbuddies LLC
              717-388-1256
              2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
              bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeE30 View Post
                A 4:10 is a bit much for highway use it can be fun around town though

It will feel a bit quicker off the line right?

Comment

It will feel quicker even with a 373 the 5 speed swap is a night and day diffrence itself. But yes a 4:10 will make it feel quicker off the line than a 373 ect. But you will be shifting more frequently, 1st will feel very short
                  Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                  Bimmerbuddies LLC
                  717-388-1256

Comment

I ran a 4:10 for a period of time. It wasn't awful, but I really love the 3.64 that is in there now. Swapping the diff doesn't take long, especially so since you'll already have the driveshaft out.

Should only tack on about an hour or two to swap that once your that far. It's just the 12 axle bolts, 2 bolts on the top, and the bushing bolt.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by TurboJake View Post
                      I ran a 4:10 for a period of time. It wasn't awful, but I really love the 3.64 that is in there now. Swapping the diff doesn't take long, especially so since you'll already have the driveshaft out.

Should only tack on about an hour or two to swap that once your that far. It's just the 12 axle bolts, 2 bolts on the top, and the bushing bolt.
                      Yea I hear ya. I've swapped the rear on my old e36 and e46, I'm assuming its a similar process. Not very labor intensive but it is a concern since I'm trying to keep this thing on on a budget.

Comment

Fark it, I'm gonna do the swap. How bad do you think my fuel economy would suffer running the 4.11 rear with the 5 speed? FYI, I really don't use the highways too much. Pretty much just city driving with the occasional trip on the freeway every now and then.

I figure if its too much, I can always swap the rear down the road.

Comment

fuel mileage wont be that bad really it just gets annoying spinning 4,000 rpm crusiing on the freeway, and if you want i have a 3.73 that i was going to install on the last 5 speed swap i did for a guy but it turned out his auto car already had a 3.73 in it so there was no need so if u need one i have one local.
                          Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                          Bimmerbuddies LLC
                          717-388-1256

Comment

4.10 with the manual will make 1st gear useless. it essentially becomes a 4 speed transmission. and highway driving is awful.

i'm not even a fan of the 3.73, but i used to own an eta so i may be biased.
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                            X