Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anything to use to suck out moisture inside of the car? leak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything to use to suck out moisture inside of the car? leak!

My rear seat are somewhat soaked. and the trunk kind of stinks so I need to get the moisture out of that damn car. I don't want to put a hair dryer or a heat lamp inside the car or the trunk.

What has people used? I've heard that boaters have something they put into their boat to keep the moisture out during.
    sigpic

Suck it out with a shopvac and then get a punch and put alittle hole in the bottom and it will never build up in there agian.

'87 325 (Track Rat)
    '04 C5500 Wrecker (Work)
    '94 525i (Daily)
    '90 325i (R.I.P)
    H&R Race, Racing Dynamics Sway Bars, Tree House CAB's, Sparco Strut Bars and more.

Comment

once you get the main moisture out put some some dri-rite or damp-rid in the car, any dessicant will do but thats the stuff you can find at your local box home improvement store, let it work its magic over night or longer if you can, it will suck up all the moisture..

Comment

Suck it out with a shopvac
        Also, rear seats come out of the car very easily. So I would take it out of the car, and leave it in a heated room inside your house, or put it out in the sun to dry.
        Same for the trunk lining that covers the wheel-well, and the lining the goes around the sides.

Wipe off all the moisture in the metal with a rag, shop-vac moisture from the interior carpets.
        Cheap method for absorbing moisture is to just throw in newspaper inside the cabin.

Use some air freshner, and then leave some grinded up coffee beans inside the car for the smell. Cleaning your windows, and steamclean (if you have access to it) the carpets and headliners will help a lot as well. If you don't have a steamcleaner, just use some fabric cleaners (vinyl and carpets).

How did you get it wet anyway? Leave your sunroof open?
        ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

can u use baking soda? that might absorb some moisture.

Kyle
          1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
          DILLIGAF

Comment

Just pull all the wet seats/carpet out and hang it to dry and dry out any wetness inside the car.
            '91 318is
            sigpic

Comment

there's a leak somewhere in my car. There's a small puddle in my trunk. I haven't found the catalyst of it yet. I've changed my tailight seals, the side vent seals behind the bumpers, the sunroof drain is not clogged/leaking. Only thing I've found that I have yet to check is the vapor seal right behind the metal panel or the rear driver window seal. I'm going to pick up that absorbant stuff from home depot and check, but the rear seats I'm going to pull out and let it sit in the garage for a bit after I go through it with a shop vac. I might give the coffee bean thing a shot... or just leave the trunk open in the garage to air it out...

I'm putting a system in the car by the end of the month so I need to figure this out asap!

Anyone else got any other suggestion other than the possible window seal or the vapor seal behind the metal panels.... The trunk seal looks like it's in good condition and I know it's not coming from there also.
              sigpic

Comment

Rear window seal? My friend has a leak there and water pools in the compartment where the jack is stored around the antenna area.

Comment

Originally posted by eurostyl e30
                  Rear window seal? My friend has a leak there and water pools in the compartment where the jack is stored around the antenna area.

Yeah, that could be the source of the moisture on the back seat. Where exactly is the dampness on the backseat.
                  Trevor Ely
                  '95 M Sport 540i - '00 A4 1.8TQMS - '85 190E 2.3-16
                  '88 535is - '87 325e - '89 325is - '91 318is - '90 325is - '96 328is

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm3n528
                    Yeah, that could be the source of the moisture on the back seat. Where exactly is the dampness on the backseat.
                    It's pretty much on the back of the bottom seat and I haven't checked the upper seat piece yet. The leak hasn't traveled anywhere on the rear seats, so it's stayed pretty much where it is.

How hard is it to change the seals to rear window??? or should I have an autoglass shop do it? I was recommended by a shop of a place local that'll find my leak and fix it for around 150.
                    sigpic

Comment

I recommend you grab a household dehumidifier and set it in the rear or front seat, park the car in the garage, and plug up the dehumidifier and let it run over night. Your car will be as dry as a.. I can't think of a good analogy at the moment, but it'll dry.:)
                      Claus Luthe is my hero.

Comment

after you get the bulk of the water out, take the hose off you shop vac and put it on the outlet side so you have a blower. Put the hose under the wet carpet put the whole vac in the car shut the door leave the sun roof cracked a bit and turn it on. the vac makes a good bit of heat and the air coming out of the hose is pertty warm, let it run for a few hours and all the moisture will be gone. I like to shove a couple of pices of wood under the carpent in places to keep it off the floor pan and give the air a chance ot circulate a little better. As far as the seat goes take it in the house it comes out real easy.
                        Originally posted by Fusion
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by royalflush313
                          Also, rear seats come out of the car very easily. So I would take it out of the car, and leave it in a heated room inside your house, or put it out in the sun to dry.
                          Same for the trunk lining that covers the wheel-well, and the lining the goes around the sides.

Wipe off all the moisture in the metal with a rag, shop-vac moisture from the interior carpets.
                          Cheap method for absorbing moisture is to just throw in newspaper inside the cabin.

Use some air freshner, and then leave some grinded up coffee beans inside the car for the smell. Cleaning your windows, and steamclean (if you have access to it) the carpets and headliners will help a lot as well. If you don't have a steamcleaner, just use some fabric cleaners (vinyl and carpets).

How did you get it wet anyway? Leave your sunroof open?
                          Coffee bean scent?? Thats genious.

Comment

if you park your car with the trunk about 1 foot or more higher then the hood, water builds up in the corners of the trunk seal and can overflow into the trunk after a while.
                            : : 1984 318i : : PNW E30 Crew : : Sold!!
                            Now becoming the R3vlimited Pro3 car
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=93780

Comment

dehumidifier all the way. I have one in my basement and its awesome.. You wouldnt belive the moisture that thing can suck out of the air.

Comment

Working...
                              X