Stupid Cold Air Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid Cold Air Filters

Bought a big ass cone filter off ebay for cheap, going to build a custom CAI for the E30, just for fun. More importantly, I stumbled across this baus explaining how they work. Enjoy.
    Different strokes for different folks.

Dude! My CAI is totally way more efficient than stock!
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

I agree with him 100%. Hilarious delivery as well.

Comment

Funny and true.

Comment

Some people shouldn't even get out of bed in the mornings...

1992 BMW 325iC
          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

"Than if you bought a cold airfilter bullshit"

Comment

Originally posted by S62 View Post
              "Than if you bought a cold airfilter bullshit"
              ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)Be Afraid Of The Future

Comment

Mythbuster...anyone?

Comment

I think we've all seen the video where they mythbust CAI's. I always wonder if they brought the car up to operating temp before doing those tests though, almost completely worthless if they didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Threehz View Post
                    I think we've all seen the video where they mythbust CAI's. I always wonder if they brought the car up to operating temp before doing those tests though, almost completely worthless if they didn't.
                    Are you talking about this one?

Where they test it on a turbocharged car! Someone take these ass grabbers and punch them in the throat.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

that Ebonic video is hilarious.

i think that if you go to the trouble of isolating your cone intake from the heat in the engine bay, it probably works. otherwise i agree with stupid above.

i think i spy a really nice green e9 in the mythbuster video around the 7 minute mark. that 4 wheel dyno is badass. i wonder what the results would have been if they had used a naturally aspirated car?
                      Last edited by flyboyx; 04-12-2013, 12:07 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I'm sure an NA car with a less than ideal intake setup would have seen a proper increase in HP.

Thermodynamics tell us that colder air going into the engine theoretically increases displacement because you are getting more oxygen in the same volume as compared to hotter air. I'm sure that every 10°C cooler the air going into the engine is, a car will see a 1 to 5 HP increase at the crank, and better results for engines with more displacement.

The stock air intake on E30's is in a good location (at least for my 318is), but I believe there is room for improvement.

I'm going to try and do some serious testing in the near future to determine how effect CAI's are for our cars. The main factors are:
                        Engine bay temp (at different speeds)
                        Outside air temp
                        Temp in CAI enclosure
                        Intake manifold temp
                        Air temp inside intake manifold (if feasible)

Depending on how hot our engine bays get, there is the possibility for substantial improvement, particularly in colder weather. I know Kameron has done at least some testing and seen positive results with his CAI's.

Comment

loved it.

edit: this guys channel is funny. and yeah, i'll say it, it's cause he's black and proud of it.
                          Last edited by evandael; 04-12-2013, 01:18 PM.

Comment

I've seen improvment on my LT1 Formula i had when i put a SLP CAI on it. I have a "test" spot on the road that i run on and use the telephone poles as marking points. I picked up MPH with it. Don't recall how much, but could tell an improvment. I made a cold air set up on my Sonoma also. I used all factory stuff. But removed the hose coming off of the exhaust manifold that went to the snorkel on the aircleaner that controled a flap letting air in and also letting hot air raise to the aircleaner. I welded the holes shot that was left from the removed parts on the aircleaner. Plus i made a hole in the core support for air to go directly into the hose going to the aircleaner, the factory has one that is located in the support also but its behind the bumper. Now i have it and the one behind the grill to let air in. One down side about this is i have to remove the filer once and awhile and knock out all the bugs that get sucked in

I had an open element aircleaner on it before. It let a lot of air in, but was hot under hood air. It isn't really any faster through the poles, but does seem to cruise down the road with ease and picked up some mpg. But i also adjusted the timing on it to. So that there would help a lot to. It seems to work fine for what little work and time i have in it. Cause every little bit helps. It's only a 4.3 V6, so i'll take what help the thing can get.

I did do a infrared temp gun test on it and here is what i found,

Open aftermarket aircleaner
                            Edelbrock 10" round 3" tall aircleaner
                            outside temp 41°
                            filter 104°
                            aircleaner 90°

With factory/ my setup
                            outside temp 39°
                            filter 74°
                            aircleaner 76°
                            hose from core support 68°

Both was done basicly the same way. I was in town and had a 20mile trip home. Got home, popped hood and read the items with the temp gun.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

I plan on doing some similar tests. I'm going to try at least four different setups. I'll take temp readings of the outside air, engine bay air, intake-housing air (when used), and temp readings of all the components from the intake to the manifold. I'll also do some 0 to 60 or 0 to 50 runs with each setup and videotape them to see any difference, as well as take quality recordings of how the sound changes.

Setups will be: stock with new filter, stock with new filter and housing built around intake, cone filter to replace stock filter without housing, and the cone filter setup with a housing.

I feel that both the stock and cone setups with the housings will show some positive results, at least a drop in temperature.

It will be fun if nothing else.

Comment

Working...
                              X