No announcement yet.

Stupid Cold Air Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's not just air temperature that is important - it's the pressure drop through the airbox.

I get a pretty significant pressure drop over 6000rpm with the stock airbox - about 10-15kpa. The temperature with the open filter was only higher when sitting still, otherwise it was about the same.

anyway, I still got tired of the cone filter - it sounds badass, but it gets dirty really fast, it looks kind of stupid, and there were some really odd harmonics with mine at part throttle that drove me insane. I took the 10hp cut and put the stock airbox back on.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

That's an interesting point. Well maybe I'll see better results then expected.

I do dislike the look of cone filters, but then again it's under the hood. If nothing else I hope that making an enclosure for the stock intake will help a little.
      Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

It's not going to make the difference people who spend big money on them really want, for the most part. If your car has a shitty intake design, sure, but for the most part on a BMW it's not going to make enough of a difference to worry about it.
        For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
        Originally posted by mbonanni
        I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          it's not just air temperature that is important - it's the pressure drop through the airbox.

I get a pretty significant pressure drop over 6000rpm with the stock airbox - about 10-15kpa. The temperature with the open filter was only higher when sitting still, otherwise it was about the same.

anyway, I still got tired of the cone filter - it sounds badass, but it gets dirty really fast, it looks kind of stupid, and there were some really odd harmonics with mine at part throttle that drove me insane. I took the 10hp cut and put the stock airbox back on.
          This was why GM invested in their RAM AIR tech...

Comment

One of these days I'll get around to putting the stock box that came in the box-o-parts I got with my E30. That K&N filter out in the open has certainly been a fail point.
            1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
            1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
            bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

How were you able to measure this? I'm curious on finding a way to overcome this problem. Is it the volume of the box that is the cause?
              My Feedback

Comment

It is just the fact that the engine has to suck air through the filter; thus, pressure drop after the filter. The selling point behind those cone filters is that air can move freely through the filter. The problem is that many of the cone filter setups pull in too much hot air. If you can prevent that from happening, you can observe some minor improvement in performance.

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                  How were you able to measure this? I'm curious on finding a way to overcome this problem. Is it the volume of the box that is the cause?
                  datalogging with standalone and 2 MAP sensors.

I'm not sure what the cause is. I also saw a pressure drop through the throttle plate of another 5+kpa (at high RPM), but I've pretty much stopped working on this motor.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

this is the fuckin' intake hole right here
                    hee

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Looking at the M42 intake setup in detail yesterday I realized it's really well done. Room for improvement, maybe. I think I'm going to also test out a high-flow filter such as a K&N in the stock box and see what difference that makes.
                      Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

I did a dyno back to back of the stock paper filter and K&N drop in. Any difference could be taken down to statistical error - about 1hp on my stroker M20. and the K&N doesn't filter as well.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If only we had an airplane and a treadmill....
                          Yours truly,
                          Rich
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by Rigmaster
                          you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Working...
                          X