2012 Focus Front End Noise...ALREADY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 Focus Front End Noise...ALREADY?

Due to my wife's faith in the logic of "Newer is better", my 200k mile 94' Camry is no longer a part of the family. After the tranny started slipping really bad a month ago, "we" decidedthat instead of dumping money into a tranny rebuild or replacement, we'd be better off getting a new/newer vehicle. Originally we set out to by a 2010 Hyundai Elantra, but when we got to the dealer, the car was has really nasty dents on it that was not noticable in the pictures. The wife had just started her third week of her new job and this was not the time to have transportation issues, so we looked into othe options that the Hyundai dealer had. On the lot was a nice silver, 2012 Ford Focus (base model). Since my wife Fancied the Ford Fusion already, we decided to take a look at the Focus (which for that year looks like a mini version of the 2013 Fusion).
    The sales man busted his hump to get the price of the focus down and get us approved. We test drove the car before all the numbers were settled. The car made a front end noise that in my past experience is cause by bad wheel bearings, a bad front end alignment, or certain low brands of tires when they are new (the focus has continentals on it). I asked the saleman about the noise and assured that it was the tires. The sound rythm seems to increase with the speed of wheel rotation.
    We bought the car. My wife has experience buying a newer car were as I always drove buckets and shit boxes that make plenty noise. She had me drop her off to work on my day off and bring the car back to the dealer. The dealer determined by there mechanic that it is the tires. I brought the car to a friend of mine who is also a mechanic and has worked on cars since we were freshman in highschool. He determined it's the tires or the bearings. "How could a car that's year old with only a bit over 30k mile on it have bad wheel bearings?" I asked. He said that he's noticed over the years that car manufactures are using lower quality parts on there vehicles to keep you coming into the dealer more frequently.
    Wish "we" were not so much into a rush to purchase because I've recently done research and found out that the focus had issues with front wheel bearings in the first year of this Focus, which is the 2012 model. I know well enough that it's a mistake to by the first year of any generation vehicle because that's usually the year were they are working out all the kinks.
    How many of you out there think that it is possible that 1 year 30kmile bearings could actually ready to give up the ghost?

fix or repair daily
    88 325is Five Speed
    Lachssilber

Comment

found on road dead :rofl:
      sigpic

1989 BMW 325is (SOLD)
      1990 BMW 325i Brilliantrot (SOLD)
      1992 BMW 325IC (SOLD)
      1991 BMW 318IS (STOLEN!)

2017 BMW M2 (WEEKEND WARRIOR)
      (GRIGIO TELESTO RESPRAY, FULL BOLT ONS, TUNE-HPFP AND TURBO UPGRADE COMING AFTER WARRANTY IS DONE)
      1989 BMW 325IC (PROJECT(
      2002 FORD ESCAPE (DAILY)
      2001 BMW 330CI (FOR SALE SOON)

"R3v, being a bunch of cheap bastards that would try to negotiate a discount on a free engine,"

Comment

Fuck our revolting domestics
        -Peter
        '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
        '91 318is slicktop project
        '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
        '00 Tundra

Comment

Fubar'd or raping donkeys
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
          1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
          1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
          1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Found our R3v D-bag

Seriously though Swap wheels front to rear and see if you still have noise. Ive had tires make a lot of noise with bad belts or separated belts
            We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
            www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

first on race day!

start bitching up a storm and tell them an almost new car shouldn't make noises like that. since they say its the tires, make them replace them. when that doesn't work, make them change the bearings for you. if they are reputable, they will get sick of seeing you there and take care of it for you to make you happy.
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by previasc96 View Post
                nice, Ford Focus

I didnt know you could use those words together.

Comment

Wouldn't that car still be under the full factory warranty?

Use it. You have XX,XXX miles for them to make it right. Get it in there for every little thing.

Then, when you get tired of it, lemon it. It is a Ford after all. There has got to be enough shit wrong to lemon if from the factory.
                  1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by travish325 View Post
                    I didnt know you could use those words together.
                    They're actually not bad cars at all, the new ones especially. I owned a first gen SVT for 7 years and it was the best car I've ever owned. reliable aside from the trans blowing up (was a Getrag 6spd). Handled much better than my E30, stopped better, was more nimble..but it never put a smile on my face like the E30 does.

On topic, anything can happen. It could be bad bearings but I would assume a 30k mile 2 year old would still be under bumper to bumper warranty. Just take it in and have them replace it.
                    91 318is M50 swapped
                    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

^^At least they circled the problem.

Comment

The one car they did get right though...

sigpic

Comment

+1 on using the factory 3/36 warranty for this. Take it to ford and let them deal with it.
                          - Josh
                          1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                          Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                            ...it was the best car I've ever owned. reliable aside from the trans blowing up....
                            Oh yeah, just that minor issue :P

OP, others have given you solid advice, it should be under warranty, let alone if it's a common problem that early, Ford should have a recall.

Also, never rush when buying a newer vehicle. If you find an older (collectible/appreciating) vehicle for a deal, that's a different story. Buying a newer car is losing money the second you make the purchase, and every day forward your investment will decrease in value, so you better make sure you are getting one hell of a clean solid car.

But, that's just my
                            Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer2288 View Post
                              The one car they did get right though...
                              They had a few other great ones

Originally posted by Threehz View Post
                              Oh yeah, just that minor issue :P
                              Haha yea I know. It was a Getrag trans not a ford unit though.
                              91 318is M50 swapped
                              05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Working...
                              X