Wet Sanding overspray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet Sanding overspray

I know wet sanding is a touchy subject especially for the novice detailer. Basically, if you don't have a tool that measures paint depth, don't do it.
    That being said, I don't think my case is too dramatic. The paint on my E34 shines, but there's a problem. It has white overspray from someone spray painting something in the same garage it was in. The clay bar took most of it off, which leads me to believe it's not too bad. However, the rest I believe will need to be wet sanded.
    I'm thinking 2000 grit wet sand would be safe and wouldn't be too risky going through the paint?

This is at it's worst on the hood, didn't clay this part. At the top of the picture you can kind of see the masking tape line where it was clayed and the hood shines pretty well.
    Last edited by lolcantturn; 06-03-2013, 11:46 AM.
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

Have you tried 3M rubbing compound? I've had really good results using it..

Edit: I've had people in parking lots hit my door on my e30/truck before and leave paint behind; hitting it with the compound takes it right off. I guess it depends on how good your clear coat is?

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

^this. You are trying to shoot an ant with a shotgun. Borrow a decent buffer and some compound, you might not even need rubbing compound but even a swirl remover will be enough.

My IS lip came off and I drove over it had tire rub marks on both sides and some polishing compound and a buffer took it out in 5 minutes.

I use the SSR 2.5 on my trunk,hood and roof for the bad stuff.

DP Detailing Products - 25% Off Over $50! - Welcome to the next game changer in car care: DP Detailing Products! Car care you can trust when every detail counts In the spring of 1998, the team at Autogeek developed a new line of products, now ...
      sigpic
      TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
      FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

I recently got some overspray on my car while painting the trim. Just got get a clay bar set and do the entire car (shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes) and give it a wax after.
        '91 Laguna vert
        '89 Bronzit 325i
        '87 Royal Blau 325 Four door

Comment

Light pressure with 2000 will be fine. Make sure to keep the area saturated with water the entire time. After that compound and polish. It will appear hazy after the wetsand and compounding. Dont worry. Polishing heats the clear coat and makes all the haze go away.

Comment

Much appreciated guys!

I didn't have 3M rubbing compound, but I used Turtle Wax Compound, it took a lot of it off but I'm still not 100% satisfied. It would look normal to someone who doesn't know its there, but I guess i'm just being picky. I'll wait till I get a full day to clay and compound the car.
            Compound really brought out the "dead" paint, I must invest in some wax and polish
            Originally posted by TSI
            OEM+

Comment

Polish will make it shine, wax will protect that shine. There is a great write up that is stickied in the body and paint section.
              sigpic
              TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
              FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

I'd wet sand it, you would be safe with 2000 grit just watch your edges. The hardest part will be buffing. Black is a tricky color so get swirls out of it.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Here are some additional things you might try (I've personally done both to remove paint overspray):

Try removing the overspray with SEM Solve - this is a product that is designed to remove "adhesives, wax, road tar, grease, and paint overspray".

Try using an "aggressive" clay bar (Meguiar's Professional line "Red" Clay for example). A more aggressive clay will probably remove the remaining overspray but will likely leave the paint slightly hazy so you will need to polish the paint to remove the haze.

Comment

Don't wet sand it yet. Try carburetor cleaner on a clean white rag. It will removal all the over spray very quickly, won't hurt the clear coat and the scratched from it will be insanely mild and easy to remove compared to spending the afternoon cutting out 2k grit scratches.

You will need to re-wax all areas that you use the carb cleaner on obviously.

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

Comment

Originally posted by Jparkr View Post
                      Don't wet sand it yet. Try carburetor cleaner on a clean white rag. It will removal all the over spray very quickly, won't hurt the clear coat and the scratched from it will be insanely mild and easy to remove compared to spending the afternoon cutting out 2k grit scratches.

This^ I used to work in detailing and we did the same very thing.
                      ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                      ~ '87 535
                      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Its works so well that you will think its some type of witchcraft.

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

Comment

if the paint is fairly fresh (overspray) you can wet a rag with lacquer thinner and glide it over the surface. then wash off immediately. it might dull it a bit at first. do a light polish or wax and you're done. I've done is a dozen times. as long as you wash the area immediately off with soapy water you should be fine. there is plenty of hardener in the paint so the thinner would need to be left on for a bit for damage to occur. there is no need to wet sand.
                          the other option as pointed out the clay bar - may need a second app.
                          sigpic

Comment

I can barter my detailing services, for iX parts ;)

Really though, I have a lot of experience wetsanding, buffing, etc....can help you out whenever you want since you're right over the bridge. PM me if you need help. I have all wetsanding, compounding, polishes, orbital & pads to do it properly.

edit: btw if its only spray paint, nail polish remover works to remove it, and retain your paint. Just do a test spot before going to town on the rest of the car.
                            www.instagram.com/snwmble
                            #snwmble

Current:
                            '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                            '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                            '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                            '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                            '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                            '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                            '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                            '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by Jparkr View Post

That is very interesting! One would assume that carb cleaner might be too harsh for the paint. Now the scratches remaining, I'm guessing a good scratch compound type deal would take care of them?

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
                              I can barter my detailing services, for iX parts ;)

Really though, I have a lot of experience wetsanding, buffing, etc....can help you out whenever you want since you're right over the bridge. PM me if you need help. I have all wetsanding, compounding, polishes, orbital & pads to do it properly.

edit: btw if its only spray paint, nail polish remover works to remove it, and retain your paint. Just do a test spot before going to town on the rest of the car.
                              Haha I might need you for detailing my E30! But much appreciated, good to know there's local help around here :D
                              Originally posted by TSI
                              OEM+

Comment

Working...
                              X